Does "No Eating Snacks (in the liberary)" work?

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:38 am

If No Smoking (in the liberary) worked, No Eating Snacks can work as well I think.
What do you say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 4,436 • Replies: 23

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Region Philbis
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:44 am
@oristarA,

the sign can say "No Snacks", because eating is implied.

(also, there is no E in library...)
chai2

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 04:49 am
@Region Philbis,
I think "no food" would be better.
oristarA

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:42 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

But water or drink is allowed there.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:03 am
Say:

No Food or Snacks in the Library
- All drinks must be covered -
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:26 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Why?
I'd be more concerned about drinks ruining library materials than food.

Water is a drink, it's not separate.

You could say "No food, beverages allowed."
oristarA

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:54 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

oristarA wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Why?
I'd be more concerned about drinks ruining library materials than food.

Water is a drink, it's not separate.

You could say "No food, beverages allowed."

Cool.
Thanks.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 02:15 pm
Ori - YOU said that water or drink IS allowed there!!

What is the real rule in the library?? You are confusing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 03:41 pm
If any liquids are allowed in the library, I'd make sure they change that rule.

No Food or Drink Allowed

Joe(you wanna eat, fine. Not here.)Nation
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 04:44 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe, at the main branch of the library here, they have a beverage machine.

chai(I don't get it either)tea
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 05:51 pm
Our Library (in Cambridge MA) allows eating and drinking. They have different rules for different areas of the library. Having an area where you can sit at a table, read a book or use your laptop while munching on cookies and sipping a cup of latte is a real benefit. After all, libraries exist to serve their patrons.

I am certain to respect the "no food or beverage" sign in one part of the library when eating is allowed in other parts, it means the policy was well thought out and not just a random prohibition.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:30 am
@maxdancona,
yeah, and when you go, who sweeps up the cookie crumbs and wipes up the remaining latte foam?
You wanna eat and drink and use your laptop////?? Go to Starbucks.

Joe(you can hog the table all day there as well)Nation
Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:36 am
http://a66c7b.medialib.glogster.com/media/20/20153441199555a517985dd4cb1fd8441ce4a4d5ff5f191885a1d3c8fbaef877/no-eating-signs-2.jpghttp://static.seton.net.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/S9590.jpg

http://www.acerax.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/900x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/r/pr033a1_2.jpg
In all honesty, you'd probably see a sign like this, or nothing written just the graphic.
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:38 am
@Joe Nation,
PUHLEEZE. Im on our towns liBARY board and weve adopted a liBARY Cafe. Here is an area with several tabes and NO RUGS ON THE FLOOR. We have a coffee bar and sell yogurty and nut bars that TAstycake makes (we get a subsidy). then we have a sign that states .NO FOOD AND DRINKS BEYOND THIS POINT."Try to help us keep your LIBARY nice and clean"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:39 am
@Ceili,
e kind of signs imply a following sentence "OR WE WILL SHOOT YOU DOWN LIKE A DOG"

Weve gone for a kind word with our gun.
chai2

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:52 am
@Joe Nation,
I tend toward old school as far as libraries too joe. no eating, no drinking, be quiet.

In all fairness though, I haven't seen any messes at the branch downtown. If any occur, I'd bet you it would be from patrons who are just in and out. The homeless that spend their days there keep their stuff really neat, if only because they'd lose their hanging out privileges if they didn't.

Where I used to work, these drug reps were always coming in to the office meeting w/ food and drink. A lot of the beverages were stuff we didn't like (stuff like mango/strawberry/kiwi etc.), so I'd take them home, keep them chilled, and on Saturday right before the library opened I'd go hand a bag of the stuff off to some homeless guy in the middle of the line waiting to get in. He'd hand the product up and down the line to his associates. I was always impressed by the sharing.

yeah farmer, thinking about it, where the beverage machine is located is where there are tables set up, and I think no carpeting. I never looked for a sign, and never thought about hanging around there.

Like I said, I'm old school, and that just sounds like too much fun for my taste.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:52 am
@farmerman,
Food and beverages are allowed up here. I'm pretty sure our librarians aren't usually packin'. Wink
chai2

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:57 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Food and beverages are allowed up here. I'm pretty sure our librarians aren't usually packin'. Wink

What about the security guys?

They don't have guns here, but I think they are authorized to haul off and fram ya with with a rolled up magazine.

chai(no sunglasses, hoodies or backward caps either)tea
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:59 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

What about the security guys?

security guys?
in a library?
really?

you're kidding

right?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 09:08 am
@Joe Nation,
I honestly don't know, but it works for us. And again, as a patron, having a public space where I can eat, drink and use my laptop is a real benefit (and no, I don't consider Starbucks a public space).

The library belongs to me and my fellow residents. We use this space and value this space.

There is another interesting part of this discussion. Bookstores are shrinking because books are less and less important to us as a society. This is why bookstores are turning into cafe's... a place that you can read books while sipping on a latte.

Likewise libraries are working to redefine themselves as their role as book repositories aren't as important today as it was 50 years ago.

Providing a public space that is comfortable and open to all is, in my opinion, the most important role of modern libraries. Yes, books and internet access are also important, but especially during my latest period of unemployment having a public place I could go was invaluable.

Libraries exist to serve the public. The more comfortable and useful they make themselves to the public at large, the more value they have.