Does "No Eating Snacks (in the liberary)" work?

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 09:13 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

Likewise libraries are working to redefine themselves as their role as book repositories aren't as important today as it was 50 years ago

That was a realization that caught us about 10 years ago and weve been scurrying ever since. Weve got all sorts of community activities where information is a central point of the activity (like ESL, art discussion groups etc). Weve installed a big screen with a Google POP where the discussion groups can look up things in real time. Weve distribute NOOKS and laptops and we dont even have computer stations anymore. (desktop computers were a transition to "all-over" accessibility.

We still have stacks because books are still a main staple
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 09:27 am
@chai2,
I can only think of one library here that has regular security. The main branch downtown has a front door area that doubles as a bus stop. A few times last year, some people were mugged at this stop. So now, the police (armed) and city security (not armed with guns, but do carry billy clubs) make this area part of their daily rounds.
The university and colleges usually have security (not armed) at the beginning of the year at the book stores, to keep the swell of the crowds down.
Other than that, they all have the bar that reduces the oncoming traffic to single file.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

security guys?
in a library?
really?

you're kidding

right?

Nope! First we had security at Social Security office. Us old guys get impatient, ya know. Years later, they got a guard at Internal Revenue Service. Our security desk at the library are not armed. The others are.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:13 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

What about the security guys?

security guys?
in a library?
really?

you're kidding

right?

We live in a land where people walk into day care centers and start shooting.

Yes, at the main branch, downtown, there are security people.

As max said, this is a public area, and the public should feel safe using the facilities.
It's not being paranoid, I have seen the security people approach disruptive people and ask them to leave.

I'm sure they would have all kinds of stories to tell.....drug deals, fights, prostitution.
0 Replies