should i call CPS or will it make things worse or be a waste of time?

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 12:52 pm
Hello

First time on here and in need of some major help

I currently share 50/50 of my 2 kids (no court order) with my ex

Currently their mom has them staying in a 3 bedroom house with
another family. My kids and their mom share a room and the family she's staying with has 5 kids. So when they are all there that's 10 people all residing in a 3 bedroom 1500 square foot house.

The husband/father of the family runs a tattoo shop out of his house in his living room. There is no separate entrance or walls separating the tattooing from the rest of the house. I don't believe there is any business license. The house is a rental and is not clean at all.

I'm wondering if this is a valid concern to call CPS? Obviously its not a good situation but I want to make sure its CPS worthy

Thank you for any responses!

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 01:17 pm
@gooddad101,
Are your kids in danger? If so call CPS.

If you don't like the choices their mother is making on your kid's behalf talk to her.
gooddad101

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 02:51 pm
@boomerang,
The main danger to me is the tattoo shop being ran out of the living room. Obviously the packed household is a concern too about possible neglect but I don't think I have any proof of that at this point
jespah

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 04:25 pm
@gooddad101,
You can also go to court and have custody reopened.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 05:52 pm
@gooddad101,
gooddad101 wrote:

The main danger to me is the tattoo shop being ran out of the living room.

what is the danger you perceive in a tattoo shop?

~~~

Can your children's mother afford other accommodation? have you offered to assist her with finding/affording other housing?
boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 07:10 pm
@gooddad101,
I kind of see your point about them running a business out of the house just because there are strangers in the home all the time. That it's a tattoo shop doesn't make a big difference to me though.

Overcrowding isn't a big concern for me either. I've known families bigger than that and in many countries 10 people living in a house that size is common.

If the kids are being well cared for I don't see a reason to involve CPS but I'll repeat that if they are in danger you need to take action.
0 Replies

gooddad101

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 01:29 am
@jespah,
Yes I'm looking in to doing that as we speak
0 Replies

gooddad101

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 01:35 am
@ehBeth,
The main danger - needles, tattoo guns, ink. All laying around in reach of kids. There is no separate entrance, no barriers or walls. Constant strangers in and out. All that equals not a safe place for kids.

Yes I've already assisted mom with getting a place. I put a place in my name and she broke the lease which is now on my credit. She actually chose to live in this house with 10 people and a tattoo shop rather than keep the place I signed on where our kids had their own room
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 06:26 am
@gooddad101,
There must be something about the situation that your children's mother prefers to what you arranged to her.

If the primary issue for you is the danger of the tattoo shop, then deal with the unlicensed tattoo shop. Report it.

Around here they are inspected regularly and have to maintain very good safety and cleanliness standards to stay open.
0 Replies