Wetbacks and Republican Silliness

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 09:42 am
Don Young, a Republican Congressman, is getting heat from fellow Republicans because he used the term "wetback" to refer to laborers on his childhood ranch.

The outrage is silly.

Is the term "wetback" to refer to a human being any worse than the word "illegal". Would you be any less offended if your child was called an "anchor baby" than you would if she were called a "wetback"?

If Republicans are ever going to move away from their disdain of brown skinned Latinos, it is going to mean a lot more than feigned outrage at the use of one offensive word.

I don't condemn Don Youngs use of the word "wetback". Instead I commend him for a rare authentic expression of how Republicans really feel.

Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:43 am
@maxdancona,
His word choice was very poor and even offensive.

You know there is a difference between immigrants and illegal immigrants. One is welcomed with open arms and the other is a criminal.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 12:07 pm
Wetback is a derogatory term showing distain for a certain group of people. Racist terms.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 12:41 pm
@Baldimo,
Why is the term "wetback" any more offensive than the term "anchor baby"?

Republicans and conservatives often offend Hispanics without any concern at all about their feelings, the only time they seem to care is after they lose an election.

If your position is offensive to Hispanics, then what does it matter if the words are offensive or not?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 12:48 pm
@RABEL222,
"Illegal" is a derogatory term showing disdain for a certain group of people. One is no more racist than the other.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 01:12 pm
@maxdancona,
You are assuming that all hispanic's agree with you on the issue of immigration. I know quite a few that share my belief on illegal immigration. It sounds like you expect them to vote with their skin color, much like you expect all minorities to vote their skin color. I also expect women to vote with their lady parts. If none of the above groups vote the way you expect them to they are going against their best interests? Traitors to their own kind?

You can't deny that fact that illegal immigrants find there way to the US so that they can have a baby and stay in the US. Instant access to all the US has to offer. Welfare, food stamps, schools and healthcare. They forcibly root themselves in US society and then depend on people such as yourself to defend their actions. I don't care about their feelings any more then they care for the laws of this country. If they were worried about their feelings then they shouldn't break the laws and then expect the govt to change the laws to fit their law breaking. Protesting against our country enforcing the laws or suing a state for trying to enforce the laws the federal govt won't enforce.

Do you know how they pull off most of the big illegal immigration busts? They find them be tracking down identity theft rings. When the same SS ID is used at the same factory more then once, it kind of sends up red flags. Chances are the person who really has that SS doesn't even work there let along live in the state where the busts happen.

I know the only thing you are going to get from this is a hate for immigrates. You are wrong, I don't like illegal immigrants. Over half the programmers in our development dept are legal immigrants from either Pakistan or India. We even have a few from China and South Korea. You know what they all have in common? Legal immigrants who have followed the rules. I welcome them and would put these people into the front of the line when it comes to the immigration issue.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 01:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Drop the term illegal and all of a sudden no one has done anything wrong. You are controlling the debate by controlling the wording of the issue.

A majority of people who are against illegal immigration are pro-legal immigration. I have already provided examples in my previous post.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 01:17 pm
The illegals I worked with and befriended occasionally called themselves wetbacks in bantering conversation. But I knew even then not to use it. Whether you approve the way they got here or not there is no reason to call people racist names. Personally I don't mind that they come here, but I don't want to sidetrack the thread.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 01:58 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

"Illegal" is a derogatory term showing disdain for a certain group of people. One is no more racist than the other.

Every forum has its PC policemen, and you are one of ours. It is quite fair to call the people who sneak into our country "illegals." BTW, illegals come in all races and colors, including caucasian. Thus, the term is hardly racist.

They should be called worse because they take take jobs that should go to citizens. For instance, 42 percent of jobs in construction, which jobs use to be very desirable to citizens, are held by illegals. Now, a contractor cannot compete unless he or she hires illegals, who cost less and don't get benefits.

The illegals are often a big burden on safety-net programs.

BTW, we should also work to close down the anchor-baby scam. This is where pregnant aliens come to the USA to have children, who automatically get citizenship. Often, the aliens stay at special "maternity hotels" set up by operators cashing in on the scam. The childlren then get free educations and many other benefits, and can later legally bring in relatives who get green cards.

I think the scam can be closed without amending the constitution. For instance, the children born here of foreign diplomats don't get citizenship.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 06:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Which makes both of them insulting. Illegality has to be proved.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 06:17 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate,

I am not objecting to the word. I am objecting to the hypocrisy.

I am asking a very simple question. Why is "wetback" any more offensive than any other term that you people use to describe these human beings?

I am simply asking for consistency here. If you hate "wetbacks" than you shouldn't pretend to be upset when someone calls them "wetbacks".

Baldimo

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 07:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Illegal alien apply's to people of all color who are in this country illegally. It doesn't matter if they come from the east, west, south or north. I don't want illegal aliens from Canada coming here and not following the law anymore then I want Chinese or Mexicans or Australians.

Latinos happen to be the most common group of people who come here illegally due to the close proximity of our nations. How does Mexico treat illegal aliens in their country?

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 07:39 pm
Wetback is to Mexican as Nigger is to Negro as Spic is to Puerto Rican as Mick is to Irish as Wop is to Italian as Frog is to Frenchmen as ******* ASSHOLE is to Republican.

Joe(close)Nation
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 07:49 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo, You are completely off topic.

The question is, do you think the word "wetback" is worse than the word "illegal" or the word "anchor baby"?

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 09:30 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
I don't care about their feelings any more then they care for the laws of this country.

You don't care about the laws of the US, Baldimo. You constantly provide support for war criminals and terrorists. You even actively supported the war crimes and the terrorist actions against Afghanistan.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 05:27 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
majority of people who are against illegal immigration are pro-legal immigration. I have already provided examples in my previous post.

They [GOP] are for legal immigration?

Nonsense otherwise we would have at least a guest worker program in place to meet the demands for unskilled low wage jobs that Americans are not on the whole willing to take even in times of high unemployments.

Hell the businesses owners and the farmers wish not legal immigration but illegal immigration instead so the workers then have no rights or protections and can not complain about being paid below minimum wage.

Oh and the GOP politicians do not wish to deal with legal immigrates that in ten years or so could become citizens and voting against them.

Of course that is not the brain dead teabaggers, as they do not know they are being play as fools.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 05:34 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
They should be called worse because they take take jobs that should go to citizens.

LOL I do not see too many citizens picking tomatoes in the South florida fields for some strange reasons and as far as construction and such jobs they are not getting highly paid as that is the point the owners of those constructions companies do not wish to pay American scale of wages.

If you have a problem with those poor people working at hard and sometime dangerous jobs at sub-minimum wages I would suggest you hate the owners of the firms that hired them.

But then you would need to paid more for new homes and such.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 12:08 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Wetback is to Mexican as Nigger is to Negro as Spic is to Puerto Rican as Mick is to Irish as Wop is to Italian as Frog is to Frenchmen as ******* ASSHOLE is to Republican.

Joe(close)Nation

You have a real way with words. Concise, to the point.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

"Illegal" is a legal term to refer to a person's legal, or illegal, presence in the U.S. Wetback is a pejorative adhominem.

Notice that Republicans may all not have Jewish friends; however, are Republicans referring to Jewish people as "kikes" these days? (I don't think so.) In other words, it might just be time to "retire" the word wetback from the vernacular.

If nothing else, the word is divisive for a country that is supposed to celebrate its diverse demographics. If you don't agree, I rescind my invitation to wish me a pleasant day.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:28 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(close)Nation

I guess then I am a Jewish ******* Asshole? I believe your analogies are not correct, since Republican is not an ethnicity. So, to assist, I added Jewish in my case.

However, I've known more than one person of Irish descent that proudly referred to himself as a Mick. Sort of like thumbing his nose at the history of his ethnic group. But, then again, the Irish did pick themselves up from their own bootstraps. I would not compare them to all other ethnicities. Sort of like trivializing their accomplishments.