ziawj2

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 06:25 am
I have made an email appointment with my foreign language teacher, Peter Brown, but failed to keep it.

Please help me check it in terms of appropriate style.

Dear Mr. Brown,
I am really sorry that I was not able to keep the appointment with you yesterday afternoon. My father is on business recently. My mother felt seriously ill and I had to sent her to hospital to have a check yesterday morning. I know it is totally my fault, but I wonder if is possible for you to spare me some of your valuable time the day after tomorrow (March 30)? If you could, I will very appreciate your kindness. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.
I am looking forward to your reply.
Yours sincerely,
Han Meimei
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,326 • Replies: 10

Ice Demon

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 07:40 am
@ziawj2,
Dear Mr. Brown,
I am really sorry that I was not able to keep the appointment with you yesterday afternoon. My father is on business recently. My mother felt seriously ill and I had to sent her to hospital to have a check yesterday morning. I know it is totally my fault, and for that I apologize.but I wonder if is possible for you to spare me some of your valuable time Is there anyway I can reschedule the day after tomorrow (March 30)? If you could, I will very appreciate your kindness. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.
I am looking forward to your reply.
Yours sincerely,
Han Meimei

Your excuses are so lame that it is better to leave it out. Lying gives a bad impression of you, so does making lame excuses.
ziawj2

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 09:11 am
@Ice Demon,
I changed the excuse. Does it sound more sincere? Thank you.
Dear Mr. Brown,
I am really sorry that I was not able to keep the appointment with you yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I lost my purse when having lunch. In it was my ID , credit and library card. I was so upset and worried that I forgot to the appointment. I know it is totally my fault, and for tht apologize. Is there anyway I can reschedule the day after tomorrow (March 30)? Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.
Yours sincerely,
Han Meimei
contrex

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 09:44 am
@ziawj2,
ziawj2 wrote:

I changed the excuse. Does it sound more sincere?

Do not invent false excuses. To do so insults the reader. A lie never sounds sincere. Your teacher does not care why you missed the appointment. He is not interested in your excuse. He is not your mother. You wasted his time by failing to show up, and now you plan to waste more by making him read a lot of bullshit. Just say you are sorry you missed the appointment and you hope you can arrange another one.

Ice Demon

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 09:58 am
@ziawj2,
Han Meimei, that's also a bad excuse. Anyone with a half a brain will see right through it. Students miss appointments all the time, you really don't need an excuse, and you just have to own up to it.
But I don't know your cultural norms. Are excuse making a strict cultural norm in China?
If you must make an excuse, make it vague as possible with a hint of truth. Classic ones are transportation problems, feeling sick, you forgot, etc. Then again you can tell the truth.
Making excuses, in my opinion, is something that people do because they do not want to be responsible for their actions. I'd avoid it.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 11:10 am
@Ice Demon,
Ice, highly OT but what keystrokes give you word crossout

And by chance alternate method for the single letter
dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 11:13 am
@contrex,
Zia listen to Con. If however you insist, you might say,"….on account of a sudden emergency…."
0 Replies

Ice Demon

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 11:14 am
@dalehileman,
Code:[strike][/strike]

You could have quoted me and see what I did.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 11:19 am
@Ice Demon,
Yea Ice but remember I'm only a Bot

Some q's do however go unanswered so maybe in deference to Zia we should start a new thread
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 11:53 am
@Ice Demon,
Thanks, Ice. I hope I remember that when I need it.
0 Replies

ziawj2

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 09:00 pm
Thank you for your dicussion!
0 Replies