Naysayers! Believers! Draw your swords!

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 11:07 am
@neologist,
Yes, if you please.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 12:13 am
A lot of niceness here. Where are the swords?
MattDavis

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 12:22 am
@neologist,
Sorry Neo. I've been busy with life.
To better structure my response to Paul's self-contradictions, would you please list which epistles (letters) you think Paul wrote.
neologist

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 01:44 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

Sorry Neo. I've been busy with life.
To better structure my response to Paul's self-contradictions, would you please list which epistles (letters) you think Paul wrote.
Everything from Romans to Hebrews, inclusive.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 12:47 am
@neologist,
I wrote:
Romeo is a committed celebrant of the Saturnaila, the feast of Astarte, and other devotions
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I've never heard of them mate, are they members of the Klingon or Romulan Empires?
A good time for a Google or Bing search.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
As for feasts, I wouldn't mind a good 'un because I haven't had a decent since my mother died 15 years ago.. ..
I'm sorry for your loss, Romeo.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
PS- Speaking of invites, I used to date a woman who regularly invited me round for meals with her and her teenage son and we all got on great until i blew it.
What happened was that she'd undercooked the bacon one day and it was like chewing rubber, I'd been chewing it for 20 minutes and it still wouldn't go down. She nipped in the kitchen so I fished it out of my mouth when her son wasn't looking and slung it behind the settee for her cat but it wouldn't touch it.
I meant to pick it up later but I completely forgot about it and she must have found it after I'd gone home.
She cooled off towards me after that and screamed down the phone "You're not a very nice man!" and i haven't seen her since, hopefully she's signed up for some cooking lessons
Would it have been so hard to pop that bacon into your pocket? Think of all the trouble you could have been spared. Laughing
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 01:26 am
Neologist chided me with:
Quote:
Would it have been so hard to pop that bacon into your pocket? Think of all the trouble you could have been spared

We holy men don't do "pop bacon into pocket" mate.
Anyway she'd been looking for trouble for a while before that, and for two pins i'd think she deliberately undercooked it to try to choke me.
The rot first set in when I helped push her trolley around the supermarket just before Christmas 2001 (we heathens celebrate it you know) and she nipped over to the store Santa and whispered something in his ear. Later I asked him what she'd said and he told me "She wished for a nice handsome man"
Huh, obviously i didn't fit the bill!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 01:39 am
Neologist claimed:
Quote:
Jehovah is God's personal name.

Nah mate, the word Jehovah (Yahweh) simply translates as 'I am', it's based on the Jewish verb "to be" (ye-ho-wa), meaning "he who is", or "I am what I am".
God is too BIG to have a name! Jesus never called him 'Jehovah', so for humans to try to label him with a name cheapens him.

"And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you" (Exodus 3:13:14)

Skip to 2:28-
neologist

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 08:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
Jehovah is God's personal name.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Nah mate, the word Jehovah (Yahweh) simply translates as 'I am', it's based on the Jewish verb "to be" (ye-ho-wa), meaning "he who is", or "I am what I am".
God is too BIG to have a name! Jesus never called him 'Jehovah', so for humans to try to label him with a name cheapens him.
So, what part of "hallowed be thy name" did you not understand?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 02:52 am
Neologist wrote:
Quote:

The name of God is "I am that I am", as he explained to Moses, in other words he's too BIG to have a name..Smile
Remember Jesus said- "God is spirit" (John 4:24), a bit like 'The Force' in Star Wars, so it'd be petty-minded to slap a name on a spiritual force by calling it Vic or Bill or Bubba!
I mean, Obi Wan Kenobi never said anything like "May Bubba be with you".
In fact trying to slap a name on God is an insult to him and satanic.
Even some angels don't have names-
The angel replied- "Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding" (Judges 13:17/18)
Jesus never used any name except God, Father, Creator, Lord, so neither should we..Smile
As I said, he's too MEGA-HUGE to be trivialised with a human name, just as he's too BIG to need a thousand cathedrals..Smile
God says "Heaven is my throne,earth is my footstool, how can you build a house for me?" (Isaiah 66:1)
neologist

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 05:54 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
From the Atheism thread:

I wrote:
@RF-I would suggest your suggestive language here and in other posts belies your professed image as a holy man
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
(HEY ATHEISTS, see how Neo has hijacked your thread again to take pops at me, dragging me back here to respond!)
Most of those folks are long time friends. So, I assume they will forgive in time.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
(Yawn)... JW's like him are so strait-laced and humourless, i wish they'd be funny like me..Smile
That, in itself, was particularly droll, Rome.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
WIKI about JW beliefs- "All sexual relations outside of marriage are grounds for expulsion, homosexual activity is considered a serious sin, and same-sex marriages are forbidden. Modesty in dress and grooming is frequently emphasized. Gambling, drunkenness, illegal drugs, and tobacco use are forbidden. Drinking of alcoholic beverages is permitted in moderation"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

Note how JW's say being gay is a "serious" sin, yet the bible doesn't say it's more serious than anything else..Wink
Wikipedia has its opinions. In reality, no sin is any greater or worse than another.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
As for so-called "illegal drugs" what right do JW's or anybody else have to say what's legal or illegal about any God-given thing?God said to Ezekiel- "Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing" -(Ezekiel 47:12)
Are we not to obey all laws that do not conflict with God's law?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 06:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
The name of God is "I am that I am", as he explained to Moses, in other words he's too BIG to have a name..Smile
Remember Jesus said- "God is spirit" (John 4:24), a bit like 'The Force' in Star Wars, so it'd be petty-minded to slap a name on a spiritual force by calling it Vic or Bill or Bubba!
I mean, Obi Wan Kenobi never said anything like "May Bubba be with you".
In fact trying to slap a name on God is an insult to him and satanic.
Even some angels don't have names-
The angel replied- "Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding" (Judges 13:17/18)
Jesus never used any name except God, Father, Creator, Lord, so neither should we..Smile
As I said, he's too MEGA-HUGE to be trivialised with a human name, just as he's too BIG to need a thousand cathedrals..Smile
God says "Heaven is my throne,earth is my footstool, how can you build a house for me?" (Isaiah 66:1)
The name Jehovah, designated by the Hebrew tetragrammaton יהוה, is the causative form, imperfect state, of the Hebrew. verb ha·wah′ (become); meaning “He Causes to Become”. It was known long before he described himself to Moses, explaining 'I am that I am' or, more, accurately, 'I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be'. The tetragrammaton is the word Pharisaic Jews refused to pronounce.

But, did Jesus and his disciples use the divine name in speech and in writing? In view of Jesus’ condemnation of Pharisaic traditions (Matthew 15:1-9), it would be highly unreasonable to conclude that Jesus and his disciples let Pharisaic ideas govern them in this matter. Jesus’ own name means “Jehovah Is Salvation.” He stated: “I have come in the name of my Father” (John 5:43); he taught his followers to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified” (Matthew 6:9); his works, he said, were done “in the name of my Father” (John 10:25); and, in prayer on the night of his death, he said he had made his Father’s name manifest to his disciples and asked, “Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name” (John 17:6, 11, 12, 26). In view of all of this, when Jesus quoted the Hebrew Scriptures or read from them he certainly used the divine name, Jehovah.

It's true we would be lost without Jesus. But he directed us to worship of his father.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 03:40 am
Neologist said:
Quote:
The name Jehovah, designated by the Hebrew tetragrammaton יהוה, is the causative form, imperfect state, of the Hebrew. verb ha·wah′ (become); meaning “He Causes to Become”..

No offence mate, but translation is not the strong point of you JW's.
For example JW's have mistranslated the word 'cross' and think it means 'stake', and therefore think Jesus was crucified on a stake instead of a cross!
Likewise they think the word 'Jehovah' is God's name, whereas it simply translates as "Too awesome to have a name".
Trying to pin a name on God is an insult to him because it reduces him to the ranks of the "false gods with names" such as this motley bunch of Egyptian false gods, have you ever seen such a sorry looking freak show in all your life..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/egods.gif~original
neologist

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 08:41 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
The name Jehovah, designated by the Hebrew tetragrammaton יהוה, is the causative form, imperfect state, of the Hebrew. verb ha·wah′ (become); meaning “He Causes to Become”..
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
No offence mate, but translation is not the strong point of you JW's.
For example JW's have mistranslated the word 'cross' and think it means 'stake', and therefore think Jesus was crucified on a stake instead of a cross!
The word is 'stauros', look it up.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Likewise they think the word 'Jehovah' is God's name, whereas it simply translates as "Too awesome to have a name".
Please give your scholarly citation for this assertion. Laughing
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Trying to pin a name on God is an insult to him because it reduces him to the ranks of the "false gods with names" such as this motley bunch of Egyptian false gods, have you ever seen such a sorry looking freak show in all your life.
Interesting expression. Where did you find "false gods with names"?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:25 am
Neologist huffed to Romeo:
Quote:
[Re "cross"]- The word is 'stauros', look it up
[Re God having no name]-Please give your scholarly citation for this assertion
[Re false gods]- Interesting expression. Where did you find "false gods with names"?

1- The Greek word 'stauros' translates as 'stake'. It would often would be left permanently in place at a recognised execution site and criminals were made to carry the crossbeam (Latin "patibulum") there, where it was lashed to the stake to form a cross. JW's mistakenly think crucifixion involved being nailed to the upright stake alone.
Clear evidence that Jesus and the two criminals either side of him were crucified on a cross can be found in this passage-
"..the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, so they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down. The soldiers therefore came and broke the legs of the first man who had been crucified with Jesus, and then those of the other. But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs." (John 19:31-33)
This breaking of legs of crucified victims was done to finish them off because it meant they were no longer able to push up with their legs to take the weight off their arms. As a result, the body sagged and the victim was unable to breathe because their arms were splayed out.
If the victim was on a stake with his arms above him, he'd still be able to breathe.

2-When Moses said to God "What's your name?" God replied "I am that I am" (Exodus 3:13/14) meaning he was too unfathomable to be labelled and insulted with a name.

3- False gods and idols are everywhere in all cultures, God himself pokes fun at them-
"Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good." (Jeremiah 10:5)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Scarecrow.gif~original

Incidentally mate I've asked you before, how did you become a JW, were you born into a JW family or did you choose to be one?
neologist

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 11:34 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Incidentally mate I've asked you before, how did you become a JW, were you born into a JW family or did you choose to be one?
http://able2know.org/topic/81075-5#post-2215521
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 11:48 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I've posted this warning before:
I wrote:
Rhinotillexis often causes degeneration of synaptic connections through loss of neurons attached to nasal mucopolysaccharides.
http://able2know.org/topic/106786-1#post-2937752
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 04:56 pm
Neologist wrote:
Quote:
Rhinotillexis often causes degeneration of synaptic connections through loss of neurons attached to nasal mucopolysaccharides

I'm not familiar with some JW teachings mate, you'll have to explain it to me.
As for you choosing to be a JW of your own free will, I can't see the logic behind it, and i can see Satans fingerprints all over the JW cult, he's convinced them that-
Jesus was crucified on a stake (Satan hates the power of the cross)
"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Cor 1:18)

And he's convinced them that transfusions are a no-no, thereby insulting God's gift of knowledge to doctors and surgeons to save life.

And he's convinced JW's that church spires are pagan phallic symbols, thereby insulting all churches built to the glory of God. Spires point upwards towards God, no wonder Satan hates them!
And hey, the stake that JW's claim Jesus was crucified on is a classic phallic symbol, I bet Satan's chuckling at making fools of JW's..Smile

Same with celebrating Christmas, Easter and birthdays, Satan's convinced JW's not to do it, well he would wouldn't he because he especially hates Christmas and Easter!

The JW's are a typical vanity-cult- "If you try to study the Bible without our help,you go into darkness" (JW Watchtower 15 Sep 1910,page 298),
whose members like think they know more than the rest of us poor slobs.
Waddya say Mr Wayne?

"That'll be the day!"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub4/wayne3b.jpg

PS- i know it's absolutely none of my business if anybody wants to be a JW (or any other cult) and i couldn't care less, but it's a pity their wacky beliefs get Christianity a bad name.
And I'm not singling out just JW's, i wish Catholics, Mormons, Rapturists, Calvinists, Universalists, Spiritualists, Fatalists and all other oddballs would get in here so i could slap them around too..Smile
neologist

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 12:29 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Oh dear! I believe the warning I posted has already taken effect. I don't know if there is a remedy for rhinotillexis, other than bandaging the hands. It might make typing difficult, though - or holding a spoon.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 02:24 am
Neologist said:
Quote:
Oh dear! I believe the warning I posted has already taken effect. I don't know if there is a remedy for rhinotillexis, other than bandaging the hands. It might make typing difficult, though - or holding a spoon

No offence mate but have you lost your marbles? I looked up rhino-whatsit in a dictionary and see that it's nose-picking, how the hell did that get into this thread, it's a nasty squalid habit and I know I don't have it!
As for "warnings", here's one for you and your JW mates-
"If anyone preaches a perverted gospel they're accursed....Ignorant people distort things, to their own destruction" (Gal 1:6-9, 2 Pet 3:16/17)
Now stick out yer chin..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ouchB.gif
neologist

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:36 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Oh, sorry. I thought perhaps I had discovered the source of the apparent degeneration of your synaptic connections.

I don't know how many times I have explained this to various folks.
0 Replies