Naysayers! Believers! Draw your swords!

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
neo wrote:

It does say all scripture, does it not? So, humor me as I claim that all of God's activities of the so called 'Old Testament' should harmonize with the teachings of the apostles.
Or, further, that all seeming contradictions or inaccuracies found anywhere in the Bible must have a logical explanation if the Bible is to be, as Paul claims " . . .beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight . ." (Continuation of vs. 16). If not, the Bible becomes, not a guide for salvation, but just another book.

Ok, but that doesn't negate the fact that you're reading that passage out of context, and that the writer isn't saying that all of God's activities of the so called 'Old Testament' should harmonize with the teachings of the apostles, or anything approximating that claim. You are using that singular passage to promote a theological stance.
Mea Culpa
Or, Maybe not . . . Could be just the way the vegetables are placed on the dish.
Let's talk about the way the Jews dispossessed the Canaanites.
The "God of the Old Testament"
Same God as the "God of the New Testament"
Jehovah may make adjustments as time goes on, but his purpose remains the same: to fill the earth with humans having the gift of everlasting life. As in "Had Adam and Eve not sinned, they would still be here."

The "New Testament" follows logically from the "Old Testament". If not, the Bible is not a reliable guide.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:07 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

The Bible becomes less thumpable upon closer examination.
Depends on which way you thump
MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:10 pm
@neologist,
No. I would contend that once you become familiar with the Bible (original sources) you will no longer wish to "thump".
I would challenge you to prove me wrong on that.
Resources are provided.
neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:12 pm
@timur,
Aha! I see one who decries the excesses of the clergy . . . Delivering to the politicians the fodder for their cannons.

But I aver the sins of the clergy are not God's sins.

"4 “And it must occur in that day [that] the prophets will become ashamed, each one of his vision when he prophesies; and they will not wear an official garment of hair for the purpose of deceiving. 5 And he will certainly say, ‘I am no prophet. I am a man cultivating [the] soil, because an earthling man himself acquired me from my youth on.’ 6 And one must say to him, ‘What are these wounds [on your person] between your hands?’ And he will have to say, ‘Those with which I was struck in the house of my intense lovers." (Zechariah 13:4-6)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
It has been and still is a weapon of mass "deinstruction" and proselytizing.

Proselytizing can be a royal pain, Timur, but I think less of a person who proclaims he/she has found "the answer" and doesn't attempt proselytizing than one who does.

When the Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door (something they do less and less these days, despite the fact that they walk our street relentlessly)...I invite them in and give as good as I get. I've got a bookshelf filled with Bibles (Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish) and they are annotated.

I use 'em like a weapon.
I'd knock on your door happily, Frank. I might even bring coffee.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:26 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

No. I would contend that once you become familiar with the Bible (original sources) you will no longer wish to "thump".
I would challenge you to prove me wrong on that.
Resources are provided.
I think I have backed myself into an etymological corner.
The term "bible thumper" in the derogatory has often been applied to me even though many of my most verbal opponents have been nominal christians. I wish to separate myself from traditional christianity. Part of my reason for starting this thread, and I believe some older A2kers have picked up on it, is to lure some of the more articulate members of thumperdom.

So far I have not succeeded. But I will thump if you want.
neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:32 pm
@Ice Demon,
Ice Demon wrote:

Yup, I'm here chillin like a villain on the ceilin with pikachu, observin.
I don't see how you'll expect bible thumpers to appear here. Is it because you are assuming that they are necessarily interested in a dialogue that is not one sided, as well as an education?
Omigawsh, I just noticed this. Have I made it obvious? Maybe a few won't notice.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 09:48 pm
@neologist,
First Neologist,
I want to establish that I find you good-natured and clever.
Sorry if I offend you, that is not my intent.
I do disagree with your apparent theological ideology, however.

Neo wrote:
I think I have backed myself into an etymological corner.
Not with me you haven't.
There is not a wall there unless you perceive one to be there.
The Bible is not a secret, it is available for free to anyone with internet access and a drive to learn it.
Neo wrote:
The term "bible thumper" in the derogatory has often been applied to me even though many of my most verbal opponents have been nominal christians.

How do you differentiate yourself from these "nominal Christians"?
Neo wrote:
I wish to separate myself from traditional christianity.

Separate how?
Forgive me, but so far you seem to have just substituted one dogmatic ideology for another.
Do you have opinions which differ from the Watchtower Society?
Neo wrote:
Part of my reason for starting this thread, and I believe some older A2kers have picked up on it, is to lure some of the more articulate members of thumperdom.

Am I inarticulate, or just not thumpy enough. Laughing
Neo wrote:
So far I have not succeeded. But I will thump if you want.

Thump away, it's your thread. Very Happy
neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:49 pm
@MattDavis,
I posted this thread hoping to reveal the typical christian's inability to explain the relevance of the Hebrew scriptures. Many carry Bibles that contain only Psalms, Proverbs, and the Christian texts. I was hoping the invitation to naysayers would draw a few believers in. I think it may have scared some away.
MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 11:16 pm
@neologist,
I agree that Paul was influenced by some Hebrew texts.
Look at all the hot debate surrounding circumcision in the letters attributed to Paul.
I do think you attempt to draw too lofty a connection though.
There was no "Old Testament" as a collection in Paul's day.
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 12:36 am
@neologist,
These are allegations on your part for which you have no evidence.
neologist

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 09:05 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

I agree that Paul was influenced by some Hebrew texts.
Look at all the hot debate surrounding circumcision in the letters attributed to Paul.
I do think you attempt to draw too lofty a connection though.
There was no "Old Testament" as a collection in Paul's day.
The Hebrew canon had been pretty well established for several hundred years.
neologist

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 09:12 am
@Setanta,
True, just my opinion.
But . . .
The pharisees were among the social and political elite, were they not? If the divine name had been important to them, they would have promoted its use instead of perpetuating the superstition. Many Jewish people today use the term G_d in their texts. As if the word Yahweh would bring down fire from heaven.
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 10:22 am
@neologist,
And you blame the Pharisees for that because . . . ?

The Pharisees were not necessarily that important, especially not in a world controlled by the Romans, and in a region where Hellenistic culture was predominant. Despite the prejudices of Christians, Jews and Judaism just weren't very important. History and archaeology were distorted for centuries because of the prejudice of historians and archaeologists who believed that the middle east was the most important region of the world, and that all important events were conditioned either by the Jews or by Christians. In fact, we are just now in the era when a lot of these religiously-derived myths are being dispelled. For example, it was long believed that the smelting of copper and the production of bronze first occurred in the middle east, and spread outward from there. Apart from the fact that this completely ignored the history of metallurgy in China, modern archaeology has shown that copper was smelted and bronze produced in what we now call eastern Europe before that occurred in the middle east. No one has, as of yet, suggested that it spread from eastern Europe to the middle east, but that's not impossible. The previous assumptions were largely based on a conviction that everything important happened in the middle east.
neologist

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:27 am
@Setanta,
I certainly will not exonerate them.

The divine name was and is extremely important to believers because it represents a promise. "He who causes to become" promised "For just as the pouring rain descends, and the snow, from the heavens and does not return to that place, unless it actually saturates the earth and makes it produce and sprout, and seed is actually given to the sower and bread to the eater, 11 so my word that goes forth from my mouth will prove to be. It will not return to me without results, but it will certainly do that in which I have delighted, and it will have certain success in that for which I have sent it." (According to Isaiah 55:10-11)

That is why Jesus told his followers to revere it and that is why the Pharisees were lacking.
MattDavis

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:18 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

What do you mean the "Hebrew canon". Are you saying the "Old Testament" was established only several hundred years ago?
When do you think the epistles attributed to Paul were written?
MattDavis

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:21 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Many Jewish people today use the term G_d in their texts. As if the word Yahweh would bring down fire from heaven.

Magical words, like getting bent out of shape over Jehovah verses Yahweh. I don't see how your views over the importance of a word, are much difference than some Jewish conceptions.
neologist

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:37 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

Quote:

What do you mean the "Hebrew canon". Are you saying the "Old Testament" was established only several hundred years ago?
When do you think the epistles attributed to Paul were written?
The operative words here are "had been", indicating the time before Paul's writings.
neologist

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:42 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

Quote:
Many Jewish people today use the term G_d in their texts. As if the word Yahweh would bring down fire from heaven.

Magical words, like getting bent out of shape over Jehovah verses Yahweh. I don't see how your views over the importance of a word, are much difference than some Jewish conceptions.
Only important because the true God has a personal name. I question why some feel it necessary to avoid using it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 02:09 pm
@neologist,
No, it's important to believers like you, who make an issue of it.