Naysayers! Believers! Draw your swords!

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What the hell do the Pharisees have to do with it? You need to learn more about the Pharisees. Just because your boy Jesus bad-mouthed them is not evidence that they had any influence on language.

Only that the Pharisees' primary attention was to their own place.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:13 am
neologist wrote:
Here's my first asseveration:
2Timothy 3:16 implies that all of God's activities of the so called 'Old Testament' should harmonize with the teachings of the apostles.

MattDavis" wrote:
From the context of the chapter is seem clear that this and the very next "verse" are a part of the same "sentence". Here is a little closer translation IMHO:
2Ti 3:16-17
All Scripture (probably reference to Hebrew and some of Paul's works) is God-breathed (inspired) and profitable (beneficial) for doctrine (teaching method), for convincing, for correction (bringing other's into line), for instruction in righteousness, so that the man of God (people of Theos) may be perfected (completed, also in a sense re-freshened), being fully furnished for every good work (beneficial actions).

The bulk of the 3rd chapter in 2 Timothy seems an appeal to correct the behavior of other followers of Paul's teachings. It seems primarily a call toward ethical behavior, using the authority of Hebrew and Pauline texts to add validity.

Neologist's interpretation of that passage is merely an ipse dixit seeing as how it lacks justification.

MattDavis' interpretation stresses a contextual reading, thereby making for a more persuasive argument.
Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:43 am
@neologist,
Which says noting about any influence on language. In fact, 2000 years ago, the Pharisees were a social and political movement.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 07:11 am
@neologist,
Had some frozen corned beef slices in the freezer. Tried to separate them to make a grilled corned beef and cheese sandwich. Used a knife. Damn near sliced my finger off.

I ain't touching a sword on a bet.

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 09:50 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

neologist wrote:
2Timothy 3:16 implies that all of God's activities of the so called 'Old Testament' should harmonize with the teachings of the apostles.

MattDavis" wrote:
From the context of the chapter is seem clear that this and the very next "verse" are a part of the same "sentence". Here is a little closer translation IMHO:
All Scripture (probably reference to Hebrew and some of Paul's works) is God-breathed (inspired) and profitable (beneficial) for doctrine (teaching method), for convincing, for correction (bringing other's into line), for instruction in righteousness, so that the man of God (people of Theos) may be perfected (completed, also in a sense re-freshened), being fully furnished for every good work (beneficial actions).

The bulk of the 3rd chapter in 2 Timothy seems an appeal to correct the behavior of other followers of Paul's teachings. It seems primarily a call toward ethical behavior, using the authority of Hebrew and Pauline texts to add validity.

Neologist's interpretation of that passage is merely an ipse dixit seeing as how it lacks justification.

MattDavis' interpretation stresses a contextual reading, thereby making for a more persuasive argument.
emphasis mine
It does say all scripture, does it not? So, humor me as I claim that all of God's activities of the so called 'Old Testament' should harmonize with the teachings of the apostles.
Or, further, that all seeming contradictions or inaccuracies found anywhere in the Bible must have a logical explanation if the Bible is to be, as Paul claims " . . .beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight . ." (Continuation of vs. 16). If not, the Bible becomes, not a guide for salvation, but just another book.

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:00 am
@Setanta,
Yes, but the pharisees, as an influential social and political movement, did nothing to promote the divine name. In fact, they continued the superstition that uttering the divine name could result in a violation of the third commandment.
Jesus, on the other hand, instructed his followers to revere his father's name. (Matthew 6:9)
neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Blame St. Patrick for that, Frank. I never told you you should eat corned beef.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:09 am
@neologist,
Neologist wrote:
No other person is rightly called "He who causes to become"
Neologist wrote:
There are a number of places in the Christian scriptures where it is appropriate to use the name Jehovah.

Apparently Paul's letter to Timothy isn't one of them.

Neologist wrote:
For example, carefully compare 2Timothy 2:19, quoting Numbers 16:5.

Here is that part of Paul's letter to Timothy:
...ὁ μέντοι στερεὸς θεμέλιος τοῦ Θεοῦ(Theos) ἕστηκεν, ἔχων τὴν σφραγῖδα ταύτην· ἔγνω Κύριος(The Lord/The Controller/The Master) τοὺς ὄντας αὐτοῦ, καί· ἀποστήτω ἀπὸ ἀδικίας πᾶς ὁ ὀνομάζων τὸ ὄνομα Κυρίου(The Anointed).

...sure, nevertheless, hath the foundation of God(Theos) stood, having this seal, `The Lord knew those who are His,' and `Let him depart from unrighteousness--every one who is naming the name of Christ (The Anointed).'

Numbers 16:15 (word's reversed so they appear right to left)
Num 16:5 וידברH1696 אלH413 קרחH7141 ואלH413 כלH3605 עדתוH5712 לאמרH559 בקרH1242 וידעH3045 יהוהH3068(The self Existent/Yeh-ho-vaw'/Jewish national Name for God)
אתH853 אשׁרH834 לו ואתH853 הקדושׁH6918(kaw-doshe'/sacred in a ceremonial or moral way)
והקריבH7126 אליוH413 ואתH853 אשׁרH834 יבחרH977 בו יקריבH7126 אליו׃H413
..... and he speaketh unto Korah, and unto all his company, saying, `Morning! --and (Jehovah/Yahweh) is knowing those who are his, and those who are sacred, and brought them closer (with implication of perfection) to Him; even the one's He selects (baw-khar'/tries, selects, finds acceptable) those ones He brings closer (with implication of perfection).

You claim Paul's Letter to Timothy quotes Numbers. It does not.
You may perhaps claim that it makes allusions to Hebrew texts. The epistle makes no such quote.
Would you like to discuss the importance of Numbers 16:15 as it perhaps adds credence to a "loop hole" into becoming Jewish?

Neologist wrote:
Additionally, it seems most unlikely that the apostles, when using the term ordinarily translated 'God' would be referring to any god other than the Creator.

It seems unlikely to me that "the apostles" were in a worse position than you are at making determinations regarding when it was or was not appropriate to use various names for "God".
Are you claiming the 2nd epistle to Timothy is written by Paul or not?
The letter claims to be from Paul to Timothy. In the letter Paul also asks for Timothy to bring him Markus and to bring him his cloak (must be important) that he had to leave behind. This is because he is left only with Lukus, and he urges Timothy to come post-haste. He also tells Timothy those who have wronged him (Demas, Crescens, Titus abandoned him). Apparently Alexander the coppersmith was particularly wicked, because Paul confesses to Timothy that he hopes God will exhibit his justice upon him.

Neologist wrote:
If you threaten me, I will provide you a few citations where Jesus emphasized his father's name.

I would never threaten you.
I would even bring you the cloak you forgot should you ask for it.
That coppersmith on the other hand, he and I are going to have some words.
neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:19 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

Neologist wrote:
No other person is rightly called "He who causes to become"
Neologist wrote:
There are a number of places in the Christian scriptures where it is appropriate to use the name Jehovah.

Apparently Paul's letter to Timothy isn't one of them.

Neologist wrote:
For example, carefully compare 2Timothy 2:19, quoting Numbers 16:5.

Here is that part of Paul's letter to Timothy:
...ὁ μέντοι στερεὸς θεμέλιος τοῦ Θεοῦ(Theos) ἕστηκεν, ἔχων τὴν σφραγῖδα ταύτην· ἔγνω Κύριος(The Lord/The Controller/The Master) τοὺς ὄντας αὐτοῦ, καί· ἀποστήτω ἀπὸ ἀδικίας πᾶς ὁ ὀνομάζων τὸ ὄνομα Κυρίου(The Anointed).

...sure, nevertheless, hath the foundation of God(Theos) stood, having this seal, `The Lord knew those who are His,' and `Let him depart from unrighteousness--every one who is naming the name of Christ (The Anointed).'

Numbers 16:15 (word's reversed so they appear right to left)
Num 16:5 וידברH1696 אלH413 קרחH7141 ואלH413 כלH3605 עדתוH5712 לאמרH559 בקרH1242 וידעH3045 יהוהH3068(The self Existent/Yeh-ho-vaw'/Jewish national Name for God)
אתH853 אשׁרH834 לו ואתH853 הקדושׁH6918(kaw-doshe'/sacred in a ceremonial or moral way)
והקריבH7126 אליוH413 ואתH853 אשׁרH834 יבחרH977 בו יקריבH7126 אליו׃H413
..... and he speaketh unto Korah, and unto all his company, saying, `Morning! --and (Jehovah/Yahweh) is knowing those who are his, and those who are sacred, and brought them closer (with implication of perfection) to Him; even the one's He selects (baw-khar'/tries, selects, finds acceptable) those ones He brings closer (with implication of perfection).

You claim Paul's Letter to Timothy quotes Numbers. It does not.
You may perhaps claim that it makes allusions to Hebrew texts. The epistle makes no such quote.
Would you like to discuss the importance of Numbers 16:15 as it perhaps adds credence to a "loop hole" into becoming Jewish?

Neologist wrote:
Additionally, it seems most unlikely that the apostles, when using the term ordinarily translated 'God' would be referring to any god other than the Creator.

It seems unlikely to me that "the apostles" were in a worse position than you are at making determinations regarding when it was or was not appropriate to use various names for "God".
Are you claiming the 2nd epistle to Timothy is written by Paul or not?
The letter claims to be from Paul to Timothy. In the letter Paul also asks for Timothy to bring him Markus and to bring him his cloak (must be important) that he had to leave behind. This is because he is left only with Lukus, and he urges Timothy to come post-haste. He also tells Timothy those who have wronged him (Demas, Crescens, Titus abandoned him). Apparently Alexander the coppersmith was particularly wicked, because Paul confesses to Timothy that he hopes God will exhibit his justice upon him.

Neologist wrote:
If you threaten me, I will provide you a few citations where Jesus emphasized his father's name.

I would never threaten you.
I would even bring you the cloak you forgot should you ask for it.
That coppersmith on the other hand, he and I are going to have some words.
Numbers 16:5 from a readable Bible: "Then he spoke to Ko′rah and to his entire assembly, saying: “In the morning Jehovah will make known who belongs to him and who is holy and who must come near to him, and whoever he may choose will come near to him." (Use of the Tetragrammaton)

As for me using the word 'threaten', kindly remember that I am known for my Falstaffian sense of humor.
MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:36 am
@neologist,
Neologist wrote:
Numbers 16:5 from a readable Bible.

A "readable" Bible?
Don't you mean a particular "translation" which you find acceptable?
Do you think that the Bible is divinely inspired or not?
The Bible was not written in English.
If you think God wrote The Book, why would you not want to know the words it was written in?
neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 11:42 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

Neologist wrote:
Numbers 16:5 from a readable Bible.

A "readable" Bible?
Don't you mean a particular "translation" which you find acceptable?
Do you think that the Bible is divinely inspired or not?
The Bible was not written in English.
If you think God wrote The Book, why would you not want to know the words it was written in?
Heh, heh OK, you win.
I use the New World Translation almost exclusively. That does not mean I lack familiarity with other translations or with original texts. I often hear the objection "But that's your bible."
No problem. I'll look at any translation. I perused your research and have no complaint other than you appear to offer parenthetical comments in text without identifying the source. Also, it is damnably difficult to follow compared to The New International Version, for example: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness . . ."

Or the KJV: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:. . ."

I would be laughed off the board if I claimed to be an expert in any language including English. But I am convinced that the Tetragrammaton has been deliberately obfuscated in many translations. That is one of the central reasons I choose most often to rely on the NWT.

The Bible was not written in English, certainly. But a loving God would certainly not require his followers to first become linguistic savants. Nearly any English speaking child can find a Bible and look into it to learn of God's requirements. Or French speaking . . . German. . . Farsi. . . Uh, have I left anything out?
MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 12:01 pm
@neologist,
You aren't confessing much Wink Your Jehoviah's Witness position is pretty obvious. Very Happy

I would highly recommend that tool E-sword, that I linked to earlier. You can download almost any translation you like, plus it will familiarize you with the original texts. In terms of bias, that is a free tool offered by Christians (I have no idea what denomination, because they make no interference what so ever). It makes cross-referencing and learning the scriptures very easy.
I will warn you however you will find many things which do not conform to your understanding in the NWT. The NWT is of course not available on E-Sword. The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society has yet to allow their translation to be available for free at the site, nor do they allow it for a fee.
I don't know if their motivations are financial or theological.
MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 12:19 pm
@neologist,
http://biblos.com/
Offers a similar service, again non-denominational.
I am not as familiar with their offerings.

That site (biblos) is funded with banner ads (similar to how A2K is funded).
www.e-sword.net is funded by anonymous donation.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 12:52 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

You aren't confessing much Wink Your Jehoviah's Witness position is pretty obvious. Very Happy

I would highly recommend that tool E-sword, that I linked to earlier. You can download almost any translation you like, plus it will familiarize you with the original texts. In terms of bias, that is a free tool offered by Christians (I have no idea what denomination, because they make no interference what so ever). It makes cross-referencing and learning the scriptures very easy.
I will warn you however you will find many things which do not conform to your understanding in the NWT. The NWT is of course not available on E-Sword. The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society has yet to allow their translation to be available for free at the site, nor do they allow it for a fee.
I don't know if their motivations are financial or theological.
Link to free online NWT: http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible
Probably not allowed at other sites because a fee can be charged for upgrades. May be other reasons. I don't know. I own interlinear translations, but use them only on rare occasions.

You are welcome to point out those things that do not correspond to the NWT, as they are as much a grist for this mill as is the subject of slavery, one I thought would have been advanced almost immediately.

Of course, I have yet to see any of my fellow "bible thumpers" signing in as yet. Heck, even Pokemon showed up.
MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:05 pm
@neologist,
Neologist wrote:
Of course, I have yet to see any of my fellow "bible thumpers" signing in as yet.
Sadly most "Bible thumpers" are not familiar with the Bible.
You will not find many who are.
The Bible becomes less thumpable upon closer examination.
This is not to say it has no wisdom to offer, however.
The Bible is not a weapon.
Ice Demon

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:24 pm
@neologist,
Yup, I'm here chillin like a villain on the ceilin with pikachu, observin.
I don't see how you'll expect bible thumpers to appear here. Is it because you are assuming that they are necessarily interested in a dialogue that is not one sided, as well as an education?
timur

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:35 pm
MattDavis wrote:
The Bible is not a weapon.

Says you.

It has been and still is a weapon of mass "deinstruction" and proselytizing.

It can have some wisdom but its beneficial effects are underwhelming..
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:48 pm
@timur,
Quote:
It has been and still is a weapon of mass "deinstruction" and proselytizing.

Proselytizing can be a royal pain, Timur, but I think less of a person who proclaims he/she has found "the answer" and doesn't attempt proselytizing than one who does.

When the Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door (something they do less and less these days, despite the fact that they walk our street relentlessly)...I invite them in and give as good as I get. I've got a bookshelf filled with Bibles (Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish) and they are annotated.

I use 'em like a weapon.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Here's my bibliography:

St. Joseph Edition of The New American Bible; Catholic book Publishing, NY; 1968 (Catholic)

The New American Bible; Thomas Nelson Inc, Nashville; 1971 (Catholic)

The Holy Bible King James Version; Thomas Nelson, Nashville: 1984 (Protestant)

The Holy Bible New International Version; Zondervan Bible Pub. Grand Rapids; 1978 (Non-demoninational)

The Scofield Reference Holy Bible (King James Version); Oxford Univ. Press; NY; 1909 (Protestant)

The Holy Scriptures Masoretic Text; Jewish Publ Society; Philadelphia: 1955 (Jewish)

The Holy Bible, St.Joseph Textbook Edition, Confraternity Version; Catholic book Publ: NY; 1963; (Catholic)

The Holy Bible Revised Berkeley Version; The Gideons Intrl; 1984; (Non-denominational Protestant)

The New American Catholic Edition of The Holy Bible; Benziger Bros, Boston; 1950 (Catholic)

The Old Testament; Guild Press NY; 1965 (Catholic)

The Living Bible; Holman Illustrated Edition: A.J. Holman Co; Philadelphia; 1973 (Protestant)

The Holy Bible; King James Version; The World Publ Co: Cleveland; (no date); (Protestant)

The Old Testament; Hebrew Publishing Co: NY; 1916 (English & Hebrew) (Jewish)

**** Also I use

The Common Catechism of the Christian Faith: Seabury Press;NY 1975 (Protestant)

Catechism of the Catholic Church: Libreria Editrice Vaticana; Urbi et Orbi Comm; 1994 (Catholic)

The New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism: Catholic Book Publish; NY; 1962 (Catholic)

*****Plus, I have (estimated) 40 - 50 other books dealing with the Bible, religion, and philosophy that I use when posting or discussing religion with visiting Jehovah's Witnesses.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 03:35 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

neologist wrote:

MattDavis" wrote:

emphasis mine
It does say all scripture, does it not? So, humor me as I claim that all of God's activities of the so called 'Old Testament' should harmonize with the teachings of the apostles.
Or, further, that all seeming contradictions or inaccuracies found anywhere in the Bible must have a logical explanation if the Bible is to be, as Paul claims " . . .beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight . ." (Continuation of vs. 16). If not, the Bible becomes, not a guide for salvation, but just another book.

Ok, but that doesn't negate the fact that you're reading that passage out of context, and that the writer isn't saying that all of God's activities of the so called 'Old Testament' should harmonize with the teachings of the apostles, or anything approximating that claim. You are using that singular passage to promote a theological stance.