French

Ning

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 04:59 pm
"Sacre bleu" is a very old expression in french. Nobody uses it today (except maybe 80 years old people Smile ). "(oh) mon dieu" is more common.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:18 pm
Bon soir, Ning (c'est bien le soir ici aux États-Unis). Malheureusement, il n'y a pas des gens francophone pour causer avec . . . mais, si on en trouve quelques uns . . .
0 Replies

Ning

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:20 pm
Bonsoir Smile C'est pareil en France mais pour l'anglais lol (en plus j'habite à la frontière avec l'Allemagne donc beaucoup d'élèves apprenent l'allemand en 2eme language et l'anglais en 3eme langue un peu plus tard seulement). En fait je n'utilise mon anglais que sur internet en venant sur des forums comme able2know. Si tu veux parler français, il y a plein d'équivalent à able2know en français aussi Smile Je peux te donner des adresses si tu veux (ou bien les chercher sur yahoo.fr ou google.fr).

I can translate if you don't understand.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:41 pm
Ça me gêne de le dire, mais je ne comprend rien de tout ça . . . vous êtes gentile me faire cet offre . . .

In honor of your arrival, a petty little blague . . .

Il y avait deux Alsatiens au coin d'une rue, qui regardaient un vieux Cortina en passant, et l'un a dit à l'autre: <<Voilà, il a de la chance: G.B., gongé bayé !>>
0 Replies

Ning

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:42 pm
héhé pas mal la petite blague Very Happy

My first message translated into poor Confused english. :
It's the same thing in France about english lol (I live at the border between France and Germany so many students learn german as a second language and then english as the thirth language (we must learn 2 foreign languages in french school). In fact, I only use the english language on internet by surfing americans or english forums like able2know. If you want to speak french, there are plenty of french equivalent of able2know. I can give you the url if you want (or you can search them on yahoo.fr or google.fr).
Pardon the english Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:50 pm
You're very kind to say as much . . . however i just noticed one glaring error there (which i've now corrected), and i'm sure there are others . . .

A good friend of mine years ago, a Parisienne, had learned English while working au pair in Yorkshire. Therefore, her natural accent combined with the northern accent (which she mimiced quite well) made her speech in English nearly incomprehensible to most Americans. As i have a hearing impairment, i just told her to speak French to me, as i'd understand more . . .

Pourquoi ne faut-il pas conter les blagues aux Alsatiens les vendredis?

Pour qu'il ne risent pas pendant la messe . . .

(An old groaner in any language . . . )
0 Replies

Ning

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:01 pm
I've edited my previous message with the translated version you asked Smile I'm sorry I didn't understand you hadn't understood Smile.

Alsace is an protestant religion region so we go to the "culte" instead of the "messe" (la messe is for catholic people Smile )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:04 pm
I was indulging in my own form of ironic, goofy humor Mlle Ning, when i said (in your mother tongue, if you'll note) that i didn't understand a word of it. Such things strike me as humorous.

Actually, i suspected that Alsations might be Protestants, and that's actually a Belgian joke which i tailored for your region. As for the gongé bayé joke, that is as far as i know a genuine Alsatian joke (as in told on the Alsatians by other Frenchmen, -women).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:06 pm
I also realized just now that i have no idea if you are Mlle Ning, or M Ning--ah well, i'm sure you'll let me know if you are so inclined.
0 Replies

Ning

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:08 pm
oh I'm sorry lol I didn't understand. It's almost 3:15 AM my brain is nearly stun lol. I should go to the bed Smile

Quote:
Mlle Ning

Mister Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:09 pm
Ning, are you living in Alsace? Awesome wines...
0 Replies

Ning

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:11 pm
Yep I'm from Strasbourg the french capital of ... BEERRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

though there are good wines too (but I rarely drink wine).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:18 pm
I was once invited to lead a culinary tour of Alsace, but the travel agency went out of business before the proper plans were made. Confused
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:19 pm
Tell me more about the beer Ning. All we get here is Kronenbourg.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:26 pm
Kanterbräu (made by Kroenenbourg as a couple of other brands as well), Fischer, Adellshofen, Mutzig, Ancre, Perle, Colmar, Schutzenberger and (as far as I remember, brewed by Adellshofen) Rheingold, just to name a few.

Alsace was German a couple of centuries, you know :wink:
0 Replies

Ning

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:20 pm
Walter answered for me Smile

There is also Heinecken.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:24 pm
Uhm . . . about yer math, Walter . . . 1870-1918 does not a couple of centuries make . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:34 pm
As far as I know, Alsatians aren't fond of being called German, and their dogs don't like it much either.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:18 pm
Walter is correct: Alsace-Lorraine was part of the Holy Roman Empire until gradually incorporated into France during the reign of Louis XIV, first through the Treaty of Westphalia and later through his policy of reunions. France completed this process of incorporation in 1766, after the death of King Stanislas of Poland, who had been given the duchy of Lorraine as part of the settlement of the War of the Polish Succession.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:32 pm
Set:

Quote:
source. Btitannica

Famous in German (sic!) history is the "10-towns-federation":
cities besides Strassbourg, such as Colmar, Schlettstadt (Selestat), Hagenau also began to grow in economic importance and gained a kind of autonomy within the "Decapole", "Dekapolis" or "10-Städte-Bund", a federation of 10 free towns.
0 Replies