AIR AMERICA RADIO...TURN ON, TUNE IN, DROP A BRICK ON BUSH

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:11 pm
There are other more interesting radio commentators out there, like Hugh Hewitt and Tony Snow, maybe Michael Reagan.

I'm starting to wonder about that Drudge story now. I looked up MultiCultural Radio Broadcasting, Inc. and WNTD isn't on their list of radio stations. So something isn't quite right.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:15 pm
I will admit, although I disagree with most of what Limbaugh says, he is entertaining.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
As The TRUTH Shall Set The Record
From the "curioisty killed the lie file"
Courtesy Of Air America Radio's Web Site
Quote:

After just two weeks on the air, Air America Radio, the fledgling liberal talk-radio network featuring Al Franken, Janeane Garofalo, and that really loud woman from Florida, appears to have encountered serious cash-flow problems.

Stop the presses!!! There's nothing more exciting than half a story from a third hand source!!!!

Insiders tell SLUDGE, that the reason the network was pulled off the air this morning in Chicago and Los Angeles, the network's second- and third-largest markets, was because, the owner of both stations, Arthur Liu of Multicultural Broadcasting, said, the network bounced a check and owes him more than $1 million! The run-on sentence, tortured grammar and the exclamation point clearly means it's true!!

Only it isn't.

Normally we'd let this go because "habitual liars" like Drudge are laughable, and ridicule is our business.

But Arthur Liu --- not funny. He lied to us, he ripped us off and now we're chasing him down with a pipe wrench. It's a metaphor.

Here's what really happened:

This Liu-ser was ripping off our boss Evan Cohen big time (he can't do that, that's our job). Evan found out about it and he stopped payment on a check to keep Liu-cifer from ripping him off even more. You can touch Evan for the occasional meal or drinks but a million bucks is crossing the line. And if we ever get low on cash, we can always call Barbra Streisand. Or any of the
Baldwins. Except Stephen.

So we got screwed, Liu'd, and tattooed. How Liu can you get? In Liu of payment. Liu'd and lascivious behavior. These write themselves. What we're getting at is that we hate him.

So now everyone's saying we're going down the dumper in Chicago and Los Angeles, but what they don't tell you is that we're still on in Portland. And we OWN Portland. And let's not forget Riverside and Plattsburgh. And New
York. And streaming on the internet. And XM. And Sirius. Actually we're fine.

So cool your jets. Air America Radio isn't dead, we're in court and we're going to slam Liu's head in a car door. Another metaphor. We hope to be back on the air tomorrow or the next day in those markets.

In the meantime, why don't you give Arthur a call at (212)966-1059.

Arthur Liu, I wouldn't show your face around here.

Or Riverside. Or Plattsburgh.

DEVELOPINGÂ…Â…

I will admit this shows that this idea may be better of sticking to Satellite and Internet Radio though.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:01 pm
Quote:
I dredged up the old thread from page three instead of making a new one. I'll take my thanks in small bills, please.

From Tarantulas, after posting a Drudge 'report'. Now there's a fellow who has established himself as being a real stickler for accuracy.

I'm now reading Alterman's "What Liberal Media". I recommend it to all, but mostly to Tarantulas and Fox and McG. The thing is, you don't have to even buy or read the book. Heck, you don't even have to glance at the cover blurbs. Just sit down with it for an hour at Chapters and go through a few pages of endnotes. This is journalism done RIGHT...with great care in getting the facts right, and in making sources readily available and transparent.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:20 pm
Either way, they are off the air in two major markets.

I am all for honest journalism. I'm just not sure where to find it. It seems like you can't read a news story these days without seeing some sort of bias creeping into it. One of the local TV stations I watch was bought by the local newspaper, and they turned so liberal that I can hardly watch them. The same people are there, but they read different words off the Teleprompters. It's the people who write the scripts for them that insert the bias and spin.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:00 pm
Here's a different side heard from:

Quote:
US liberal radio flames out in LA, Chicago over billing dispute

NEW YORK (AFP) - A liberal radio start-up touted as a counterweight to right-wing talk radio has been yanked from the airwaves in two of its top markets amid an acrimonious billing dispute, according to network representatives.

The broadcaster that rents air time to Air America in Los Angeles and Chicago pulled the plug on the network in those two cities Wednesday, just two weeks after its much-ballyhooed launch.

Executives with Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Inc., which owns Air America affiliates WNTD-950 AM in Chicago and KBLA-1580 AM in Los Angeles, claims Air America bounced checks and fell behind on its payments, and now owes it more than one million dollars.

Air America, for its part, filed suit against Multicultural Wednesday in New York state Supreme Court, charging it with breach of contract and seeking an injunction forcing Air America back on the Chicago station.

"MultiCultural Radio Broadcasting's conduct in this matter has been disgraceful," said Evan Cohen, Air America Radio chairman in a statement posted on the network's website Thursday.

"To shut off a broadcast that listeners rely on without warning and in the middle of discussions is the height of irresponsibility and a slap in the face of the media industry."

Executives for the fledgling network say they have withheld payment for air time they purchased in Los Angeles in February, prior to its March launch.

They contend that Multicultural re-sold that airtime to third parties, essentially "double-dipping," and that the network should be credited for that block of time.

The network has also used its remaining radio stations in New York, Minneapolis, Portland, Oregon, and its website as platforms to attack Multicultural and its owner Arthur Liu.

Jean Heinemeyer, general manager of Multicultural's New York station, said the station has been flooded with calls from irate Air America listeners over the past 36 hours.

And he lashed out at a tongue-in-cheek Air America "press release" in which the network was going to resolve the matter, vigilante-style, by putting a crowbar to Liu's head.

"It's more than sophomoric," said Heinemeyer. "It's disgusting and frightening."

The release was removed from the site Thursday.

Link
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:22 pm
Blatham I don't have to read the book to know exactly what it says. I've seen every argument there is on that subject and have sat on a couple of real life panels that dealt with it (among other things.) I can spot 'spin' a mile off and have a very good eye for what's there.

I do appreciate your recommendations and, if you suggest something of interest I haven't taken up yet, I will surely look into it. I do think, however, your recommendations for reading materials would have more clout with the conservative crowd if they were not authored by such blatant and unashamed liberal advocates as Alterman is. I have read some of his stuff, I like his writing style, he has some good points now and then, and I do not trust him to give an unbiased report on anything. Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 06:51 pm
Quote:
Blatham I don't have to read the book to know exactly what it says.

Well, to your credit, you have stood up openly here and voiced this sentence, as irrational as it is.

Of course, I didn't suggest that you (specifically) read the book, merely that you go through the endnotes and re-aquaint yourself with what good journalistic standards look like.

Bias is unavoidable, and not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. What is avoidable (and does minor or great damage to profitable discourse) is lousy process - lazy scholarship, insular data sources, faulty reasoning.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm
blatham writes:
Quote:
Bias is unavoidable, and not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. What is avoidable (and does minor or great damage to profitable discourse) is lousy process - lazy scholarship, insular data sources, faulty reasoning.

I couldn't agree more. And since I have found the writer in question to be so biased that his scholarship and reasoning became flawed, most notably in articles he has written for Mother Jones, I would not use him for a source when doing research except as an example of bias. But then you and I have disagreed on the matter of bias, so what is apparent to me may not look so to you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:23 pm
Oh and Blatham, sometime I'll write a profile. Not that you believe me, but I do know what good journalism standards are. Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:35 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Oh and Blatham, sometime I'll write a profile. Not that you believe me, but I do know what good journalism standards are. Smile

fox...your profile won't do it. Your writing here is representative of your writing, rather obviously. For example, you make a claim in your post above...
Quote:
I have found the writer in question to be so biased that his scholarship and reasoning became flawed,

You provide no evidenciary support for the claim. You seldom do.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:07 pm
blatham:
I didn't realize a personal opnion needed evidenciary support. I happen to believe I am my own expert on this subject. (Some people in my real life think I am anyway.)

I haven't requested you to back up your opinions with evidenciary support as I accept your opinions at face value as being what you believe. At times, when somebody requests it and I have time, I have provided evidenciary support for a specific statement I've made. I rarely get a response or, if I do, my source is not acceptable to the one requesting it. So, I can't win can I? Smile

That's okay. I'm enjoying the few who post here who actually can see both sides of an issue and discuss it without being insulting. I like that a lot.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:28 pm
Quote:
I didn't realize a personal opnion needed evidenciary support.
To describe the following claim as opinion...
Quote:
I have found the writer in question to be so biased that his scholarship and reasoning became flawed,
is inappropriate and a facile copout. You made not a statement of preference, but rather a claim about fact (flawed scholarship).

Quote:
That's okay. I'm enjoying the few who post here who actually can see both sides of an issue and discuss it without being insulting. I like that a lot.

You restate this rather often. Civility is advantageous, but on its own, shallow and invaluable. A rude but intellectually disciplined discussion seems rather more preferable to a mannerly but lazy one.
0 Replies