Confused

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 10:41 am
For my job, I often work for a few months, complete the project and move on to another project with a whole new set of people. I rarely find myself attracted to anyone and before starting the job that I am currently on, a friend told me to keep an eye out for a guy that she'd worked with before and thought would be a good match for me. I was instantly attracted to him, but I'm also terribly shy and felt nervous around him.

I know I handled the whole thing wrong, but after a few nice, short conversations, I wrote him a quick email stating that he should let me know if he'd like to get a drink sometime. He wrote back saying he'd "love" to and asked me when. I said Friday, but he couldn't because he had family in town and that we should do it next week. I told him to let me know when. After that, nothing. He never mentioned anything for weeks.

I was working late one night with like 4 other people in the office including him. When he left, he said goodbye to everyone except me. I felt worried that I'd offended him or made him uncomfortable by asking him out to a drink, so I wrote him that I was sorry if I'd done anything to make him feel uncomfortable. He wrote back that he was sorry he made me worried, that I did nothing to offend him and he still wanted to get a drink, but he was very busy with work. This is true. The job can be very stressful at times with long hours and weekend work.

After that, I still heard nothing from him. My friend told me he has a hard rule about no dating while working. I just wanted to have a drink with him to get to know him better and be more comfortable around him at work since our jobs don't allow us to work at all together. However, I would be completely understanding if he'd said the drink would have to wait until after the project is completed because he's very busy (which would be the best way to avoid "seeing" someone while working). He's very nice, but I'm getting nothing from him.

I feel confused. Feels like he is interested because he said he'd "love" to get a drink and still wanted to, but then there is nothing. Is he just being nice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 544 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 10:46 am
@Rets0602,
I wouldn't be so convinced you did anything wrong. This match seems unlikely to get off the ground and it's not your fault. It seems it's just not in the cards. Perhaps you would best served to find another person as a potential date. It seems it's not ideal to date where you work.
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 12:07 pm
He changed his mind.
Rets0602

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 01:44 pm
@chai2,
Yes, I think so, too. I just wish he'd been honest about it or expressed no interest when I confronted him about it the second time. Why say "I still want to get a drink?"

I feel like there are things he could have said to express disinterest without actually saying it. Instead he continued to imply that he is interested.
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 01:50 pm
@Rets0602,
Well, that's kinda tough ****.

You wished he'd have done differently, but he didn't.

Now you know he hems and haws and won't be upfront.

Lesson learned.
Rets0602

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 02:09 pm
@chai2,
True.

I don't treat people like that.

Proof it would have been a bad match

Thank you for the input
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 02:09 pm
@chai2,
BTW, I didn't mean that "tough ****" to be an insult to you.

Just sayin' that you can wish someone did something differently as much as you want, but, hey, tough titty.
Rets0602

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 02:11 pm
@Ragman,
It's difficult for me to find anyone that interests me, but I guess I'll have to be patient.

Thank you for the advice
0 Replies

Rets0602

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 02:18 pm
@chai2,
You didn't insult me. It's true.

I know people often aren't as aware and considerate as myself. I was asked out by someone on my last job that didn't interest me. I responded immedietly in a way that wasn't an insult to him to let him down. Seems kinder than being misleading and wishy-washy.

You're absolutely right, though. Tough ****
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 02:39 pm
I can't tell about him. He probably was and maybe is interested - or not - but has a big no re work relationships, likely wise, but occasionally they work out well, and sometimes horrendously badly. Anyway, better for people to be straightforward, but most reactively do the polite thing.
0 Replies