Find three nouns in sentence

McTag

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 04:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It's no good asking exerts, clean is not a noun used like that.

If you say, "I gave the car a good clean" then maybe, but that's not the case here.

(gerund?)
contrex

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 04:39 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
(gerund?)

Used like that, it's a kind of an informal cut off gerund.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 04:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Pretty weird of you to be asking me to make a case for a guy who has shown absolutely no regard for the truth, Frank.

Considering the language skills that you have at various times suggested you have, this should be right up your alley.
Mame

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:16 pm
@JTT,
As usual, a non answer, plus asshole-y to boot.
JTT

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:53 pm
@Mame,
Hi Mame. I wonder what brings you here?

I'll defer to your renowned expertise on language. You go ahead and help Frank out.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:59 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I am obtuse. I meant 'object'.

That's not 'obtuse', C. It was merely a mental typo. We all do that.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 08:13 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Pardon me for being (or seeming) obtuse.

This isn't obtuseness either, C. You are, with vigor, defending your position. One, I must admit, that I am coming to accept. That would, of course, mean that I accept Max's position too.

I stand corrected.

Quote:
One further general point to be made is that the distinction between adjective and adverb is not always entirely obvious. Adjectives can occur in predicative function with verbs other than be, as in They sat still or We laid them flat. Thus although we can have both The moon shone brightly and The moon shone bright these clauses do not have to be assigned the same structure: bright in the second is best taken as a predicative adjective (cf. The moon was bright), not an adverb.

The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language p567.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:36 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5256085)
Pretty weird of you to be asking me to make a case for a guy who has shown absolutely no regard for the truth, Frank.

I have never lied to you, JTT. And your comment "...has shown absolutely no regard for the truth" is hyperbole.

I've told you a million times not to do that.

Quote:
Considering the language skills that you have at various times suggested you have, this should be right up your alley.

I notice you did not answer the question. Any reason for that?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:37 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5256085)
It's no good asking exerts, clean is not a noun used like that.

If you say, "I gave the car a good clean" then maybe, but that's not the case here.

(gerund?)

Never hurts to ask questions, McTag.

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 10:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I notice you did not answer the question. Any reason for that?

More of your patent dishonesty. Why would anyone get involved in your silly little games, which are always meant to mislead, to obfuscate, to cloud the situation? What a sad little man you are, apisaing your way thru life.

Quote:
And your comment "...has shown absolutely no regard for the truth" is hyperbole.

I've told you a million times not to do that.

You're right, Frank, it was.

"A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect"

There must be the odd time when you are truthful.

Have you ever found any source that supported your inane language notions?

Mame

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 10:15 am
@JTT,
Why are you always so disagreeable?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 10:32 am
@JTT,
If you think I have lied...point out the specific lie...and we can discuss it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 03:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,

Quote:
Never hurts to ask questions, McTag.

Very true, Frank, and if I seemed a bit rude, that was not my intention. I was trying to make a small joke.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 04:38 pm
@McTag,
You did not seem at all rude, McTag.

I was merely referring to my question of JTT.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 08:41 pm
@Vtgirl44,
Clean is a noun....like liberty, knowledge, and reading...
Lash

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 09:21 pm
@Lash,
I can see why students (and people here) would say it is used as an adverb - since it does modify the verb wiped..

The teacher probably wants students to know that nouns can perform different roles in sentences based on placement.

Ideas (like honesty, freedom, and responsibility) and states of being (like clean) are also nouns. I guess cleanliness is more accepted as the noun for clean. Language morph is frustrating.

Reading is seen primarily as a verb, unless it is the subject - and therefore a noun - in a sentence.
McTag

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 03:51 am
@Lash,

Hi Lash. From what I have seen here, you would be better avoiding threads on grammar.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 04:20 am
@McTag,
Yeah, this one turned into a free-fire zone, didn't it. If i see someone has already answered, i usually don't even look in. If i'm the first one there, i answer, and then get the hell out.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 12:01 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Hi Lash. From what I have seen here, you would be better avoiding threads on grammar.

Definitely. Lash's posts here can safely be ignored. (What can his motivation be?)

JTT

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 12:09 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
(What can his motivation be?)

Lash is a 'her', C. She used to teach English grammar to, I believe, high primary, low middle school students. Now she is teaching history. She started a thread recently about religion and history.

But, rather than dismiss her out of hand - we can all be mistaken about language it's tres difficult stuff - doncha think it's better to follow through with a discussion. My feeling is that it could help prevent similar problems down the road.