Guns aren't stupid, People with Guns Are.

parados

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 07:41 am
Quote:
HARRIS COUNTY, Texas -

An 18-year-old man is recovering after what Harris County deputies are calling an accidental shooting. Authorities say the shooting occurred as the victim and two other teenagers were making a music video in a makeshift studio at a home on Evanston Street.

According to deputies, the teens were using a gun as a prop, and thought it was unloaded. During the video shoot, deputies say one of the teenagers pulled the trigger as the gun was pointed at his friend. The gun went off, shooting the victim in the stomach.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/deputies-teenager-accidentally-shot-during-rap-video-shoot/26453110
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 07:57 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
MIAMI — Police say one teen is dead and another faces manslaughter charges after a gun they were playing with fired.

The incident took place Wednesday night in Miami's Little Havana neighborhood.

The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/1oWjhPE ) reports that 16-year-old William Pagan died in his bedroom after being shot in the chest. His friend ran away and police caught up with him about a half hour later.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2014/06/13/5203691/teen-dead-friend-arrested-in-accidental.html#storylink=cpy

If society were more responsible,
all students in public schools wud be taught
safe and competent gun handling techniques
from the very earliest possible grades

Thay 'd be taught to clear the weapon, before
any handling thereof, to ascertain whether it is loaded
and thay 'd be told that thay shud not point it toward
anyone whom thay choose not to kill.

Thay 'd be shown and taught how to field strip each gun
and shown how it operates internally and thay 'd go to the
gunnery range to work out each day. The finest marksmen
wud get days off from school and longer vacations

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 08:00 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
HARRIS COUNTY, Texas -

An 18-year-old man is recovering after what Harris County deputies are calling an accidental shooting. Authorities say the shooting occurred as the victim and two other teenagers were making a music video in a makeshift studio at a home on Evanston Street.

According to deputies, the teens were using a gun as a prop, and thought it was unloaded. During the video shoot, deputies say one of the teenagers pulled the trigger as the gun was pointed at his friend. The gun went off, shooting the victim in the stomach.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/deputies-teenager-accidentally-shot-during-rap-video-shoot/26453110
That is not the approved technique for finding out
whether it is loaded.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 12:13 pm

"In 1996 Australia unloaded some of the most severe gun bans and gun
confiscation programs on record and for the guns that were not
confiscated gun owners were forced to enter into license agreements and
have their guns registered so the government knew what guns everyone had.
Well, they really only knew what guns the law abiding had, since none of
the criminals actually followed the program. Fancy that.
Breitbart just reported some interesting developments in Australia that
prove all the anti-gun lawmakers wrong. Gun control does NOT take guns
out of the hands of criminals, it only disarms the law abiding, while
making everyone less safe. ..."
http://gunsnfreedom.com/17-years-after-gun-bans-in-australia-police-say-gun-crime-is-out-of-control/
parados

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh.. gosh.. Brietbart said that..... It must be true...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/14/america-mass-murder-australia-gun-control-saves-lives

And then when you look at the actual gun crime, it is less than it was in the 90s.
Gun deaths have dropped by half. Gun homicides have dropped by 75% from their high in the 90s.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia

But don't worry David, Breitbart will be happy to make up any statistics you want to support your idiocy.

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/mr/1-20/15/03_execsummary.html
Firearms used in robberies have decreased faster than the decrease in armed robberies according to Australian crime statistics.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:21 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Oh.. gosh.. Brietbart said that..... It must be true...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/14/america-mass-murder-australia-gun-control-saves-lives

And then when you look at the actual gun crime, it is less than it was in the 90s.
Gun deaths have dropped by half. Gun homicides have dropped by 75% from their high in the 90s.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia

But don't worry David, Breitbart will be happy to make up any statistics you want to support your idiocy.

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/mr/1-20/15/03_execsummary.html
Firearms used in robberies have decreased faster than the decrease in armed robberies according to Australian crime statistics.
I 'm sure that thay will be happy to make up any statistics
you want to support your idiocy, Parados.
parados

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 03:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Australian crime statistics put out by the Australian government are now made up? I guess we can't trust the police. If only we had a good guy with a gun to give us the actual statistics then we would know for sure. Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 04:29 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Australian crime statistics put out by the Australian government are now made up?

I guess we can't trust the police.
Yes; thank u for bringing out that point.
I wish I coud find the book written by a retired English police officer
who complained of his being intimidated, by his bosses,
into jiggling the statistics; e.g., changing the procedure for COUNTING
felonies to make the new gun control laws look good
(among other things) by counting any number of felonies
committed on any number of victims as only ONE CRIME,
if thay occurred at the same time and place, thus to conceal
the failures of gun control, as crime rose.

Thanks for calling our attention to that.

David

parados

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 09:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
So.. you are arguing that English police officers now count Australian crimes? Or don't as the case may be.

By the way, victim surveys don't rely on the police reporting. They survey victims but don't let anything like reality affect your world view.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:25 pm
I see the USSC affirmed that Proxy gun purchases should remain illegal.
I someone buys a gun at a gun how, it had been common for a buyer to buy the gun FOR SOMEONE ELSE but having the background check done only on the buyer. It was a 5-4 with Kennedy crossing over to the common sense side .
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:52 pm
@farmerman,
OK, that 's not too bad, farmer. The USSC only interpreted THE STATUTE,
not the Constitution. Arguably, the result was accurate,
in terms of statutory intendment. I can t blame Kennedy too much,
if the 2nd Amendment was not considered; apparently, it was not litigated.

In the future, the USSC will have to address
the "equal protection of the laws" clause,
uniting it with the 2nd Amendment. That shud void this result.

Everyone has an EQUAL RIGHT to defend his life,
regardless of the wishes of currently elected politicians,
until and unless the Constitution is amended as per its Article 5.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 05:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I'm not super familiar with the law in question, but the way the ruling was reported made it sound like proxy gun purchases are not actually illegal, but rather it is illegal to conceal a proxy purchase from the government.

In other words, had the buyer been open about the fact that he was buying the gun for someone else, likely allowing the government to run a background check on them as well, the proxy purchase might have been OK in the eyes of the law.

Then again, never underestimate the ability of a reporter to get everything wrong.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 06:11 am
@oralloy,

farmerman wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I'm not super familiar with the law in question, but the way the ruling was reported made it sound like proxy gun purchases are not actually illegal, but rather it is illegal to conceal a proxy purchase from the government.

In other words, had the buyer been open about the fact that he was buying the gun for someone else, likely allowing the government to run a background check on them as well, the proxy purchase might have been OK in the eyes of the law.

Then again, never underestimate the ability of a reporter to get everything wrong.
Yes, but as the court noted,
in that case, the sale wud not go thru.

The important thing is that the decision only interpreted STATUTORY INTENDMENT.

The Constitutional legitimacy thereof was not litigated.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 06:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Breitbart just reported some interesting developments in Australia that prove all the anti-gun lawmakers wrong. Gun control does NOT take guns out of the hands of criminals, it only disarms the law abiding, while making everyone less safe. ...

I recall that when Australia repealed their freedom, they suffered a massive increase in armed robbery rates for the next five years.
parados

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 07:32 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

I recall that when Australia repealed their freedom, they suffered a massive increase in armed robbery rates for the next five years.

It's amazing how some people can recall things that they never experienced and never happened at all.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 08:54 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
It's amazing how some people can recall things that they never experienced and never happened at all.

My recall is indeed pretty amazing. I'm not one of those people who can recall every single day of their lives, but I'm very good at pulling up facts and cites.

Your recall must be not-so-great if you've already forgotten that Australia's repeal of freedom kicked off a massive increase in armed robbery rates that lasted for some five years.

Unarmed robbery rates also spiked during this five-year nightmare period. Once their criminals realized that everyone was unarmed, it was open season on the general populace.
parados

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 09:45 am
@oralloy,
Was there an increase? Yes. Was it massive? It depends on how you define massive. If we assume the increase in robbery in Australia was massive then we have to accept that the increase in mass killings with guns in the US has been far beyond massive. We have gone from 8 in the 1990s to 12 in the 2000s to 12 in just the first 3 -1/2 years of 2010s.
http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-shooting-rampages/

The funny thing is there were only about 6,000 armed robberies in Australia per year and there are over 350,000 robberies in the US with about half of them being armed robberies. This massive increase you claim still keeps the Australian armed robbery rate to less than 1/3 of the US rate. Australian armed robbery rate is about 33 per 100,000 while the US has a rate of about 110 per 100,000.

http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/3/B/D/%7B3BD1F141-F6D6-4056-98E2-CD7BF8DF5439%7Dmr11.pdf
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv09.pdf

I sure would hate to think you were misremembering the gun buyback program in 1996 so let me remind you it only collected 661,00 long guns. There was no hand gun buyback until 2003.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 04:35 am
Quote:
Florida father killed by stray bullet while celebrating newborn's homecoming

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - A Florida father, gathered with his wife and family members to celebrate the homecoming
of their 3-day-old baby was killed by a stray bullet Tuesday evening.

The Bay County Sheriff's Office said the bullet came from a neighbor's gun -- a convicted felon who had been drinking.

Steven Justin Ayers, 33, of Panama City, Fla., was hit in the back of the head by the bullet and died instantly.
Police said the bullet came from a 9 mm that traveled through the neighbor's screen window, through woods
and through the sliding glass door of the Ayer's home.

Police arrested Charles Edward Shisler, 62, who was uncooperative and "extremely belligerent," the arrest report said.
Shisler said he picked up the gun by the trigger and it fired accidentally.

Shisler faces charges of manslaughter and felon in possession of a firearm, according to ABC affiliate WMBB TV.

"I had just gotten a picture of him and the baby which was just born father’s day," said Scott Fryer, a close friend.
"The look on his face was just priceless, I was so happy for him."
(source)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 07:17 am

People perish from all different kinds of accidents NOT chief among them from gunfire.
The National Safety Council tells us that our lifetime odds of death from suicide,
"Unintentional poisoning" and falls are greater than our chances of death
from "assault by firearm" (i.e., intentional murder).

Concerning ACCIDENTAL deaths (the implied subject matter of this thread),
the National Safety Council tells us that u are more likely to be killed
in a Pedestrian accident, than from accidental gunfire.
U are more likely to be killed by drowning, than from accidental gunfire.
U are more likely to be killed in a fire, than from accidental gunfire.
U are more likely to be killed by choking on food, than from accidental gunfire.
U are more likely to be killed by pedaling a bicycle than from accidental gunfire
(the fony implications of this thread to the contrary notwithstanding).

Its only that attention is here focused upon gunfire, to the exclusion of everything else.
(I expect to be told scornfully to start my own thread on other accidents.)

The effect of this thread, in its totality, is to give a false, distorted, EXAGGERATED impression
of the relative danger of accidental gunfire, in an effort to subvert our support for the Bill of Rights.

No sale, Mr. Parados.

David
parados

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 07:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I love how you try to pretend that things are true that aren't David. A lot of the shootings result in criminal charges being filed so aren't considered accidental in the statistics.