Guns aren't stupid, People with Guns Are.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 08:05 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
I love how you try to pretend that things are true that aren't David.
A lot of the shootings result in criminal charges being filed so aren't considered accidental in the statistics.
O, yea, we all know that u are more trustworthy than the National Safety Council
and THAY have an ax to grind, but NOT YOU!!

Surely, it is the National Safety Council
that is crusading to subvert the Bill of Rights, not Mr. Parados. Yea, we know.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 08:17 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
I love how you try to pretend that things are true that aren't David.
A lot of the shootings result in criminal charges being filed so aren't considered accidental in the statistics.
The National Safety Council tells us that u are more likely to be accidentally POISONED to death,
than to die from murderous gunfire. U, Sir, are a FAKE, a fony or a charlatan (u choose).
parados

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Let's look at the National Safety Council numbers

Quote:
Poisoning
—In 2010, 42,917 deaths occurred as the result of poisonings,
Motor vehicle traffic
—In 2010, motor vehicle traffic-related injuries resulted in 33,687 deaths
Firearm
—In 2010, 31,672 persons died from firearm injuries in the United States

By 2015 it is projected more people will die from guns that from traffic accidents.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:38 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Let's look at the National Safety Council numbers

Quote:
Poisoning
—In 2010, 42,917 deaths occurred as the result of poisonings,
Motor vehicle traffic
—In 2010, motor vehicle traffic-related injuries resulted in 33,687 deaths
Firearm
—In 2010, 31,672 persons died from firearm injuries in the United States

parados wrote:
By 2015 it is projected more people will die from guns that from traffic accidents.
Yea, projected by YOU
and the other subversive repressionists.

Trying to pull a fast one, huh, Parados??
U conflated accidental deaths from gunfire together with intentional crime,
including the open warfare of criminal gangs for urban drug turf
and then u compared the result against deaths from ACCIDENTAL poisonings and vehicular collisions,
hoping that no one wud pick up on the difference. Does that say anything about your credibility???
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
so lets only go after poisons in the hands of the criminals?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 12:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
so lets only go after poisons in the hands of the criminals?
Yea, un-like guns, possession of poisons
does not have Constitutional immunity.

Good idea, farmer.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No, I compared ALL poisonings which INCLUDE suicides and murders and all traffic deaths which INCLUDE suicides and murders with all gun deaths. It's you that is misrepresenting the numbers now.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:13 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Was there an increase? Yes. Was it massive? It depends on how you define massive. If we assume the increase in robbery in Australia was massive then we have to accept that the increase in mass killings with guns in the US has been far beyond massive. We have gone from 8 in the 1990s to 12 in the 2000s to 12 in just the first 3 -1/2 years of 2010s.
http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-shooting-rampages/

The funny thing is there were only about 6,000 armed robberies in Australia per year and there are over 350,000 robberies in the US with about half of them being armed robberies. This massive increase you claim still keeps the Australian armed robbery rate to less than 1/3 of the US rate. Australian armed robbery rate is about 33 per 100,000 while the US has a rate of about 110 per 100,000.

http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/3/B/D/%7B3BD1F141-F6D6-4056-98E2-CD7BF8DF5439%7Dmr11.pdf
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv09.pdf

I'm sure the increased robbery rates seemed pretty significant to the people who were being robbed.

parados wrote:
I sure would hate to think you were misremembering the gun buyback program in 1996 so let me remind you it only collected 661,00 long guns. There was no hand gun buyback until 2003.

I recall that sometime back then a guy from Australia tried to convince me that "the fact that handguns were not covered" meant that Australia's gun ban was no big deal. Obviously that was a futile argument on his part, but he kept going on and on about how Australia was supposedly still a free country because of those handguns.

What really struck me though was, when the handgun law was passed he immediately forgot all of his previous trumpeting of Australia's alleged freedom and tried to argue that the new restrictions were also no big deal. It was almost as if he switched gear mid-sentence, starting out saying one thing and then suddenly saying the exact opposite.
oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I'm not super familiar with the law in question, but the way the ruling was reported made it sound like proxy gun purchases are not actually illegal, but rather it is illegal to conceal a proxy purchase from the government.

In other words, had the buyer been open about the fact that he was buying the gun for someone else, likely allowing the government to run a background check on them as well, the proxy purchase might have been OK in the eyes of the law.

Then again, never underestimate the ability of a reporter to get everything wrong.

Yes, but as the court noted, in that case, the sale wud not go thru.

Ah. So it's one of those anti-gun laws that are written to sound more reasonable than they really are.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:16 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The 2nd Amendment protects EQUAL RIGHTS for all,

no it doesn't.

Are there minorities in this country who are denied the protection of civil rights?

farmerman wrote:
I hunt and, in my assignments that take me into unpopulated areas, I carry. However, I see no need for everyone to be armed.

The really great thing about civil rights is, need is irrelevant.

If a free American citizen chooses to carry a gun when he goes about in public, he has the right to do so regardless of your opinion of his need.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
R u gonna tell us what " '...Stans " means ?

Pakistan
Afghanistan
Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan
Turkmenistan
Tajikistan
Kyrgyzstan
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:34 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
R u gonna tell us what " '...Stans " means ?

Pakistan
Afghanistan
Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan
Turkmenistan
Tajikistan
Kyrgyzstan
Thank u, Oralloy. It probably means something like: land.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer, I take the inference that u are an anti-racist,
and that u support the USSC's holding in the Rosa Parks case
that it is CONSTITUTIONALLY INTOLERABLE for government
to discriminate regarding seating for a few minutes on a bus.
(If I misunderstand u in that regard, then please contradict me.)

Concerning: "EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAWS"
as distinct from "background checks"
If government cannot discriminate in so little a matter as a few moments of seating on a bus,
then surely, a fortiori government cannot discriminate in regard to WHO can freely defend his life from the violence
of pit bulls or of robbers n murderers, and who must, in a state of legal helplessness, offer himself up for the slaughter,
in the discretion of the animal or human predator???? Which is more important, in terms of Constitutional immunity
from government discrimination, even to that very same citizen who dismounts from that bus into the world??
Is it Constitutionally more important that Rosa can legally defend her life from being torn apart by animals,
or that she have a better bus seat for a few minutes??????

We await your best advice, farmer.
(ANYone is welcome to comment on this.)

David
parados

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 05:56 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

I'm sure the increased robbery rates seemed pretty significant to the people who were being robbed.

And the increase mass shootings in the US are pretty significant to the people shot. But you want to pretend those mass shooting don't exist at the same time you want to pretend the reason for the increase in Australia is something you can show no cause and effect for.

As for the handgun recall in 2003. You seem to be arguing that the decrease in long guns increased armed robberies but admitting that the decrease in handguns decreased robberies. So, do you agree that a decrease in handguns decreased robberies based on the Australia statistics?
parados

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 05:58 am
Quote:
HAVELOCK, CRAVEN COUNTY -

A man was killed in an accidental shooting outside a haunted house business in Craven County, friends of the victim told NewsChannel 12.

According to friends, Raymond Andrews was shot and killed Wednesday night outside the Nightmare Factory, located on Park Lane off Highway 70 in Havelock.

Andrews, who worked at the Nightmare Factory, had just attended a meeting at the business to talk about the upcoming season.

Friends told NewsChannel 12 Andrews was a fan of guns, and one of his friends was showing a gun to him outside the Nightmare Factory.

Friends said the gun was not loaded when Andrews was initially handling it. He then gave the gun back to the owner, who loaded it, friends said.

But Andrews did not know the gun became loaded and jokingly held the weapon up to his head and shot himself, friends said. Andrews died from his injuries.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/man-killed-in-accidental-shooting-at-nightmare-factory/26567164
parados

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 05:58 am
Quote:
HOPEWELL, Va. – A three-year-old child accidentally shot his twin brother using a gun left unattended in their home, according to Hopewell Police Chief John Koehane. The shooting happened in the Thomas Rolfe Court community about 10 a.m. Monday morning.

The child, who was shot in the backside, was taken to John Randolph Medical Center by a police officer who arrived on scene. The child has since been taken to VCU Medical Center for treatment. The young boy remains in critical but stable condition at VCU Medical Center, after a .25 caliber bullet went through his bottom and into his abdomen.

The other little boy was taken from the scene by an adult before police arrived. Police are still looking for the weapon used in the shooting.

http://wtvr.com/2014/06/09/child-shot-hopewell/
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 05:59 am
Quote:
BRADENTON --

Deputies are investigating an apparent accidental shooting that left a 22-year-old Bradenton man dead.

According to the Manatee County Sheriff's Office, roommates Kyle Guessford and Austin Brunson were in their home on the 2700 block of 50th Avenue W with two guests around 8:30 p.m. Saturday.

Deputies said Guessford, 22, was checking out several accessories that he had just purchased for his pistol when he walked from his room to the living room, switched the weapon-mounted flashlight on and the gun discharged.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/6/8/bradenton_man_22_kil.html
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 07:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
NO answer so far . . . ;
The farmer has not responded to this challenge;
do any of U repressionists wish to address it?? Anyone???

Farmer, I take the inference that u are an anti-racist,
and that u support the USSC's holding in the Rosa Parks case
that it is CONSTITUTIONALLY INTOLERABLE for government
to discriminate regarding seating for a few minutes on a bus.
(If I misunderstand u in that regard, then please contradict me.)

Concerning: "EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAWS"
as distinct from "background checks"
If government cannot discriminate in so little a matter as a few moments of seating on a bus,
then surely, a fortiori government cannot discriminate in regard to WHO can freely defend his life from the violence
of pit bulls or of robbers as distinct from WHO must, in a state of legal helplessness, offer himself up for the slaughter,
in the discretion of the animal or human predator, right???? Which is more important, in terms of Constitutional immunity
from governmental discrimination, even as to that very same citizen who dismounts from that bus into the world??

Is it Constitutionally more important that Rosa can legally defend her life from being torn apart by animals,
or that she have a better bus seat for a few minutes??????

We await your best advice, farmer.
(ANYone is welcome to comment on this.)

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 07:44 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
And the increase mass shootings in the US are pretty significant to the people shot.

I think they'd be just as unhappy about being killed with bombs.

parados wrote:
But you want to pretend those mass shooting don't exist

I acknowledge that they exist. I just do not see their relevance to the issue at hand.

parados wrote:
at the same time you want to pretend the reason for the increase in Australia is something you can show no cause and effect for.

I can't show causation, but I've always thought it was pretty significant that the repeal of freedom was immediately followed by such a prolonged crime spree.

parados wrote:
You seem to be arguing that the decrease in long guns increased armed robberies

It's a rather odd coincidence if there is no causation.

parados wrote:
but admitting that the decrease in handguns decreased robberies.

I'll admit that it is a possibility, but not that it is anything more than hypothetical.

parados wrote:
So, do you agree that a decrease in handguns decreased robberies based on the Australia statistics?

No. But I agree that it's an interesting hypothesis.
oralloy

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 07:45 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Andrews did not know the gun became loaded and jokingly held the weapon up to his head and shot himself, friends said. Andrews died from his injuries.

Is there an emoticon for cringing?

Rule #1: All guns are always loaded, even when you "know" that they aren't.

Is there an emoticon for sighing?