Lola at the Coffee House

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:40 am
@spendius,
Darwin ws unaware that there were NO earthworms in the northern parts of the US ever since the Ice Ages cleaned them off.
It was only the English settlers who first brought Lungubrious (Lumbricus) terrestris to our shores and thus began the great earthworm invasion .
An example of a positive aspect of the Columbian Exchange.
When Darwin did his several studies on earthworms, he included several species from Asa Grey in Philly, never did either of them know that all Grey was doing was "sending back" descendents of pilgrims that settled in the New World several centuries earlier.
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:41 am
@edgarblythe,
I can't vouch for it, but i've read that eating local honey will help to immunize you to "hay fever," as the local pollens will be present in the honey.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:43 am
@Setanta,
e are all examples of that possibility. Noone in this household is so afflicted. (my wife cant stand getting stung by bees and carries an EPI pen)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 07:20 am
@farmerman,
The Ice Age is a fairly recent event fm. A frosty morning in time.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 09:42 am
@spendius,
many of us werent alive in the IceAge. What was it like?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 10:02 am
@Setanta,
It's possible some may benefit from desensitisation immunotherapy to grass pollen. This involves being given tablets or injections containing minute amounts of pollen, with the dose being increased gradually over a three-year period to induce immune tolerance and cure the allergy.

A better way is to roll in the hay barn a lot with one or other of the farmer's daughters during your formatives. It is supposed to cure oral allergy syndrome as well. The only problem with the technique is preventing yourself getting carted off to the altar. That does require a degree of dedication. Or acute fear.

There's no evidence honey does any good except maybe psychosomatically but I know not many in here dare believe in such things. Dr Barnard said, in his book Food is a Wonder Medicine, that honey is just sugar marketed at various niches in the class hierarchy.

At a guess I would suggest that hay fever is an urban condition. I wouldn't be surprised if OAS is too. Too much disinfectant, clean living, hygiene and bloody soap.

There's a theory that lack of exposure to "muck" during the early years leaves the immune system vulnerable. It must have validity. And I daresay there are victims.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 10:22 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I know it's marketed as "posh" but it's just sugar and not a healthy alternative to it.

honey is posh?
brunch is posh?

you do live in an odd world
Lola

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 11:32 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
STomping in from the barn . . .Moseys back out to the barn to check on the herd of mammas. . . Its supposed to warm up this weekend so Ill see about how the birds are doing and how I can help out. . . You people should get outside more often even the city has some neat natural places.

fm, you have, for the first time in my life, made me wish to live on a farm. You make it sound so interesting and exciting. I enjoy feeding the birds and wildlife and we have more in the city than I would have thought. Last Summer, in my backyard I had a bird family building their nest in a bird house hanging from a post near my patio and raising three sets of babies, teaching them to fly and launching them. It was fascinating. In addition, we had hordes of birds, mostly doves, but plenty of others as well, feeding at our bird feeder. We had bunnies and evidence of a snake too. But I never saw the snake. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for Spring, but it's been arriving here for a month now. It will soon be time to get out there, pull my potted plants out of the corner, where they have been protected for the winter, store the blankets and tarps, and start cleaning up and watering on a more consistent and frequent basis. It always sounds like so much work starting out. . .but experience teaches me that it soon seems like so much fun.

Now, if only we had mama sheep and baby lambs too.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 11:54 am
@spendius,
Quote:
There was a robin hopping around me yesterday all the time I was digging over the largest of my two veggie patches.

Let me visualize this............spendi in the garden. (Lola sits, stares into the corner of the room and contemplates.) Excellent view, very pleasing to me. I'm sorry to hear that you don't enjoy it more. Really spendi, you can be such a grump!
Quote:
I found balls of worms. I don't know whether they were keeping warm or having an orgy. . . I think the whole of the earth's fertile regions must be worm ****.

And when you make me laugh like this, I know you must be less of a grump than you seem.
Quote:
I remember seeing an Arctic explorer being asked by a TV reporter when he got off the boat what he was looking forward to most and he said a cheese and tomato butty. His wife looked a bit miffed.

And your attention to the details of human interaction is also refreshing. Too funny and interesting. And you mix it with food and taste too.....impressive.

I like honey too, and as fm says, if you're looking for sweetener anyway, why not honey? Local honey is said to provide help with protection from allergies.

As for gossip, yes coffee houses are known for that. But Set has been around and he'll be back when he's so moved. It's free will around here, whether a person believes in such a concept or not. Were you worried you'd offended him? giggle.

Quote:
I've never met anybody on A2K [italics mine]so I am all ears. Members do tend to project an image suffused with the rosy glow of self congratulation which my long experience tells me is likely in need of some correction.

Hummmm......were you thinking of seeking a remedy for this great deprivation? Why don't you come for a little visit? I bet there are lots of a2kers who would make the trip for a meeting of the infamous spendi. I don't know about a rosy glow of self congratulation, but many of us do seem to be pleased with ourselves from time to time. I know I am. You should try it a little, well......some of the time, at least; it's not so bad after all.

Lola

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 11:56 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
My own honey buying is based on it being as raw and unprocessed as possible, with a leaning to local varieties.

Yes, what do you think about the idea that local honey helps protect against the symptoms of allergies? I've heard that, but not on any official authority.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:03 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I can't vouch for it, but i've read that eating local honey will help to immunize you to "hay fever," as the local pollens will be present in the honey.

There, you see, I get up too late. I missed Set entirely until I had turned the page. And yes, Set you've already answered my question to edgar about allergies.

Here, it's so late, I suppose it will soon be time for tea. Have a sandwich. They're made by Sybil and yummy.........not tea yet? Oh well then call it lunch.

Hey, look there on the TV. Senator McCain and Senator Graham are shaming Rand Paul for hypothesizing a drone attack on Jane Fonda. Funny..........too funny.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
honey is posh?
brunch is posh?

you do live in an odd world

They're not really posh except that honey from the Queen's bees will be.

I was using "posh" as a sort of allusion to beta minus snobbery.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:09 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
There's no evidence honey does any good except maybe psychosomatically but I know not many in here dare believe in such things.

Don't fault psychosomatic cures. If it works.......hey, who is to argue? Anyway, honey does taste good and the romance associated with it is pleasant and not likely to trap a poor innocent frightened person at the altar. A roll in the hay does sound like fun though, with or without offspring.
Lola

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
honey is posh? brunch is posh? you do live in an odd world

The man talks backwards, I tell you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:15 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
Why don't you come for a little visit?

What??!! After reading the outpourings of the gun nuts. Once on active service is quite sufficient for me.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:17 pm
@Lola,
Lola wrote:
Don't fault psychosomatic cures. If it works.......hey, who is to argue?

the hip-bone's connected to the whatever bone
the mind's connected to the body

they just left that line out of the song

we can put it back in

ginger/green onion fish today

Wassau is really on his game!
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:19 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
Don't fault psychosomatic cures.

I don't. The scientifics on the evolution threads flat out refused to even mention such things. Despite much prompting.

They are on Ignore.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:40 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
What??!! After reading the outpourings of the gun nuts. Once on active service is quite sufficient for me.

Come, spendi, sit with me over lunch and let's talk about your tendency toward over exaggeration and a touch of paranoia. You would be safe enough. Really you would.
Lola

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the hip-bone's connected to the whatever bone
the mind's connected to the body

Yep, they did leave it out of the song, but as you point out, the brain/mind is connected to the rest body.
Quote:
Wassau is really on his game!

He is! I just love Wassau.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 01:08 pm
@Setanta,
I have read that as well.
0 Replies