Lola at the Coffee House

georgeob1

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 08:43 pm
@Lola,
I like farmerman, though we disagree about several things. I also usually like Spendi, though he occasionally gets (or appears) a bit spiteful. Unfortunately they appear to have little sympathy for each other.

Perhaps a drink together might help.
Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 09:25 pm
@Lola,
bumpilisious
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 09:32 pm
@georgeob1,
I think fm and spendi seem to have a mutual respect, but aren't inclined to show it too often.........and then, also, in addition to that and alternatively, they love to insult each other from time to time. They both have a crust so thick one could rub one's back up and down and have a good scratch.

Sorry guys for talking about you while you're within hearing distance.......like you aren't there and all and stuff..........

And we love em, yes we do. And you too o'george. We don't always disagree, now do we? Heck, I just had a disagreement with Merry Andrew of all people. I don't think that's ever happened. But that's the magic of the cafe, we all drink, eat and converse here together even though we don't agree, mostly. It's sort of like the lunch room at the Capital Building......or the bar down the street.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 09:54 pm
question:

What does it mean when your tags have red Xs in front of them?

such as here:
http://able2know.org/topic/209876-1
ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:03 pm
@Lola,
The red x's mean those are your tags - and you can delete them by clicking on the red x.
Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:16 pm
@ehBeth,
ahhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks Beth. Now I know. A red X looks sort of like I've done something wrong. Things are not always as they seem.
Ice Demon

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:19 pm
@Lola,
You sure it wasn't a way to direct traffic flow to your new thread?
Ok, ok, before you throw the cast iron pan at me, would you spare me a tall glass of cold milk?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:27 pm
Wassau just brought out the simit and Turkish tea.

http://www.azcookbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/simit.jpg

Just in time.

I was feeling ravenous after dance class.

Is there any honey on your table?
Eva

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Simit? Is that what those rings are called? I've never heard of it, but anything you put honey on can't be bad...
ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:43 pm
@Eva,
Simit are like the outside of a very good chewy Montreal bagel. Sesame rings - they have them in Greek bakeries too but I'm mad for the Turkish version.

Wassau found the summer flower honey so I think we're in business!

http://parthenonfoods.com/images/LangneseSummerFlowerHoney500g.jpg
Ice Demon

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:49 pm
@ehBeth,
A simit and a pretzel enters a bar. The barmaid upon their entrance sternly said "No knead to get upset, but we don't serve loafers!"
Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:58 pm
@Ice Demon,
Quote:
You sure it wasn't a way to direct traffic flow to your new thread?

cold milk first and then the pan.........

laughing.....if I wanted to direct traffic to my new thread, I could have just posted it here without subterfuge. We're all friends here.......or at least most of the time. Wassau has a friend mister over the door. When people walk in, they get this little fine mist on the tops of their little heads........it's a conspiracy, you see.

Welcome Ice Demon.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:59 pm
@ehBeth,
oh yummmm.............this is going to be good. virtual food, the best!
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 11:01 pm
@Ice Demon,
Quote:
A simit and a pretzel enters a bar. The barmaid upon their entrance sternly said "No knead to get upset, but we don't serve loafers!"

Funny ID. Now pass the honey.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 01:06 am
@ehBeth,
STomping in from the barn ,
"How come it didnt snow around here"?

Im a lover of honey, all kinds of honey. From the pedestrian clover honeys of local beekeepers to the exotic floral "Single stalkj" honeys of the south, like Tupelo or orange blossom

My favorite way of enjoying honeys flavor is on things like sopaipilas, still hot.
I remember when we hung around Santa Fe we would have suppers at various houses and the sopaipilla was a normal accompaniment whenever hot foods were served. Ive had em where the dough was sweet or when it was more like a "soft pretzel". But dipped in honey, or more frequently, everyone would have a little bear squirt bottle of honey to squeeze over the "fried bread"

I wish I could make a sopaipilla appear, along with a cup of lapsang tea(lotsa sugar of course).

Moseys back out to the barn to check on the herd of mammas.

A sign of spring sign. Today we saw a huge herd of grazing robins. Even though we sometimes have robins and, even hummingbirds, winter over, this year they all seemed to disappear at the end of September and its been robin free all winter. Till Today.
The robins today looked gaunt and their colors were really dull and almost chalky looking.

SO,if yousee some gaunt looking robins (or any finchy type bird) returning for the season,I would start feeding them RAISINS. They need energy and protein till the insects appear. Im going to the pet store tomorrow and see if I cant buy some mealy worms for them. Its supposed to warm up this weekend so Ill see about how the birds are doing and how I can help out.

You people should get outside more often even the city has some neat natural places.

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 01:15 am
@farmerman,
Tupelo honey is usually a light lemony golden color. Its taste is indescribable, sweet and loaded with a perfume that hits you well before you can taste it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:09 am
@farmerman,
There was a robin hopping around me yesterday all the time I was digging over the largest of my two veggie patches. It looked in good nick. I have a rabbit appear now and again. Two turtle doves live here and a few other birds. I was digging in the cow muck I had spread last autumn and the compost from my bin. In the compost bin I found balls of worms. I don't know whether they were keeping warm or having an orgy. Darwin became obsessed with worms. There are so many worms and they have been here so long that I think the whole of the earth's fertile regions must be worm ****.

I can't say I like gardening but the effort is worth it for the fresh produce. Tomatoes still warm out of the greenhouse on buttered crusty bread with mature Lancashire cheese and a sprinkle of salt and pepper are a real treat. I remember seeing an Arctic explorer being asked by a TV reporter when he got off the boat what he was looking forward to most and he said a cheese and tomato butty. His wife looked a bit miffed.

Honey, fm, is 99.5% sugar and water, 0.3%protein and the rest is vitamins which you will likely be getting enough of anyway. I know it's marketed as "posh" but it's just sugar and not a healthy alternative to it. The poshest, if you follow Veblen's reasoning, requires the collectors of it to be stung all over just as gull's eggs are posh because the collectors have to climb dangerous cliffs.

I have provided mealy worms for birds but I gave up when I saw the bigger birds frighten off the little ones and eat the lot. It was like watching hungry children with their noses pressed against a restaurant window. 20% of Americans on food stamps is a shaming statistic.

A very important aspect of coffee houses is scurrilous gossip about absent mutual acquaintances. Setanta for example. Gossip has useful social functions. I've never met anybody on A2K so I am all ears. Members do tend to project an image suffused with the rosy glow of self congratulation which my long experience tells me is likely in need of some correction.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:11 am
My own honey buying is based on it being as raw and unprocessed as possible, with a leaning to local varieties.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:30 am
@spendius,
I also like a tomato sliced on a garlic toast with a slice of something like Mochego or Prima Donna. I like the little crunchy flavor crystals of what, oxalates?

Honey may be all that, but if I am looking for a sugar anyway, why not a nice sugar with a flavor back, like Tupelo or orange blossom.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:34 am
@edgarblythe,
yea, I find that, when I want orange blossom, i call an apiary in Florida and I never buy any of that stuff at the super market. All brand honeys sold in supermarkets are blends made using great masses of industrial equipment and pasteurization.

I used to raise bees until my wife developed an alergy to beestings so we quit the whole thing. I miss my own alfalfa honey,raw , in my tea in winter.
0 Replies