izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:48 am
@spendius,
She must be quite a contortionist.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 06:02 am
@spendius,

We have a lot of magpies round here, and a right racket they make.

This morning I saw one hopping round a trench I had dug yesterday. No earthworms come to think of it, the soil round here is fairly poor but some things grow well.
I've got some lavender to plant.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 06:11 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Give the birdies some bread, they will come back....

The advice is not to give them bread. It fills them up with the wrong sort of nutrient I've been told.
igm

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 06:33 am
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww

Something to do with Lola's Wifi..... click the play button...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:16 am
@spendius,
You can feed the birds a healthy bread treat.
http://birding.about.com/od/Foods/a/Good-Bread-For-Birds.htm
firefly

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:23 am
Speaking of bread...

Wassau, I'd love to have one of your buttery croissants with my coffee this morning.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_273/1211892555Q2B3oT.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:38 am
@firefly,
Your link confirms what I said ff.

The idea of an "occasional treat" is ludicrous applied to birds.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 01:21 pm
Don't know if anyone here has been following the Jodi Arias trial, which has been dragging on since January (and which has cost the taxpayers $1.6 million so far). But I just saw on the TV, in the corner of the café, that a verdict has finally been reached. It will be announced in a little over an hour.

I think they proved she committed first degree murder. I'm anxious to hear what the jury decided.

While I'm waiting to hear that, I'd like a bowl of minestrone soup, please, Wassau.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-juQ2upoWKpA/TyI7G0G-viI/AAAAAAAACPM/nnCH13EUEf0/s1600/minestrone-soup.jpg
George

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 01:31 pm
Ah, the famous Coffee House! So many wonderful aromas fill the air!

Tea, please. Earl Grey. Hot. And one of those scones. Thanks.

Now for a little light reading with my tea. Aquinas's Summa Theologica
should do fine. A real page-turner.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 03:15 pm
@firefly,
You could have heard a pin drop in that courtroom just before the verdict was read.

The jury did find Jodi Arias guilty of murder in the first degree. Next they will decide her sentence, and the death penalty is an option.

There were interesting procedural features in this trial, which took place in Arizona, because the jurors were allowed to ask direct questions of both the defendant and witnesses during the trial, and I have never seen that done before. I actually thought that was a very good idea--I think it's much better for the jurors to have their questions directly addressed in that way. I don't know whether that goes on in states beside Arizona, or whether it goes on in other countries.

The delivery of the verdict in these high profile murder cases is always packed with such drama.

Now that justice has been served, Wassau, could I please have a cup of tea and some shortbread cookies.

spendius

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 03:20 pm
@firefly,
Only barbaric governments still use capital punishment.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 03:37 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Don't know if anyone here has been following the Jodi Arias trial, which has been dragging on since January (and which has cost the taxpayers $1.6 million so far). But I just saw on the TV, in the corner of the café, that a verdict has finally been reached. It will be announced in a little over an hour.

Unable to avoid the coverage here in Phoenix. Sounds like the jury reached a good and just verdict.

I'm just glad my court hearing later this afternoon is not at the downtown courthouse, because I'm sure it's a zoo down there with media types and folks that have actually traveled here JUST for this case. Crazy.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 03:47 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

I don't disagree with you about that. I do not support the death penalty.

Jodi Arias committed a very barbaric premeditated crime. She stabbed her boyfriend 2 dozen times, shot him, and almost decapitated him.

After lying to the police, a number of times, about whether she was involved in his death, or even in his home at the time, she finally admitted to what she did to him, but claimed it was done in self-defense.

I have no sympathy for this woman. I'd like to see her get life in prison with no possibility of parole. If the jury decides to give her life in prison, I believe it is up to the judge in this case to decide whether she will be eligible for parole after 25 years, or she will spend the rest of her life behind bars.

Jurors tend to be more reluctant to give female murderers the death penalty.
Quote:
•Women account for about 1 in 10 (10%) of murder arrests annually;
•Women account for only 2.0% (167 out of 8,292) death sentences imposed at the trial level;
•Women account for only 1.7% (55 out of 3,261) ) of persons presently on death row; and
•Women account for only 1.0% (12 out of 1,232) of persons actually executed in this modern era
http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=57

There are currently 3 women on death row in Arizona. It remains to be seen whether Jodi Arias will be joining them.

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 03:48 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time (or swing).

We do lethal injections now. That's genteel.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:02 pm
And, according to this morning's headlines, the alleged shooter in the Colorado 'Batman' theater attack is changing his plea to 'not guilty by reason of insanity.'
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:10 pm
@spendius,

They can feed themselves obviously, throwing a "tad" of bread out was to bring them back....

But, you can always go to the extreme Wink

http://www.birdcare.asn.au/pdf/magpies.pdf

Morning ! Stretch, yawn, coffee please.......... The trial I want to watch closely is those bathplugs that kidnapped (4) I believe the count is now, with one dead, girls over 10 years ago.

Too early to get mad..........................................or else I am mad anyways.......
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:14 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
Morning ! Stretch, yawn, coffee please.......... The trial I want to watch closely is those bathplugs that kidnapped (4) I believe the count is now, with one dead, girls over 10 years ago.

According to my morning paper, they haven't even been charged yet. It must be hard for the prosecutors to come up with appropriate charges.
firefly

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
They have just charged one of them--with rape and kidnapping.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2013/05/08/ohio-man-charged-with-kidnap-rape-women-found/eHQnFpOjxyGakvOM2Oxx5L/story.html
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yeah,

And, thanks FF I read that too.

Time, it's all about time, I dread to think what they are going to find and come to conclusions over, with each poor girl locked and confined to a room, I have no doubt that there was someone / s before them.

Murder I am sure will be proven well, should I say (though I don't hope so) , I hope so if that makes sense. They deserve the book these guys.

I read, (sorry) that one girl was so shocked and ill that she hasn't returned to faimly yet persay, rather straight into hospital.

Must stop or else I will get mad Smile
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:55 pm
On a lighter note...

The Queen had on the "good jewelry" for the opening of Parliament today. Nice baubles.
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/liverpoolecho/may2013/5/6/image-41-queens-speech-2013-694086427.jpg
If you've got it, flaunt it.

Thank goodness she wasn't carrying the black handbag for a change. Smile