Lola at the Coffee House

spendius

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:16 am
@edgarblythe,
I know. But nowhere near as much as the incoming. And not as nasty either.

More stylish though.

I'm a very poor writer compared to the ones I read but you lot are hopeless. And run from difficult questions like jack-rabbits do from greyhounds. Some even hide and then boast about engaging in such a common and vulgar device as if it is something to be proud of not forgetting to insert the usual insults.

When have I ever said that any of your lives were "vapid". Or that you should "get a life". Not once. I wouldn't be so absurd. Nor that you were mentally disabled in a number of different ways.

You're leaning too much with the wind ed. It is how not to be a writer.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:32 am
I will have the usual black coffee and {drum} roll.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:33 am
drum roll, please
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:37 am
With 2 you get egg roll.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:45 am
@spendius,
As Abe Lincoln mentioned, "with malice toward none." 'Course he didn't mind using a big stick and when that didn't do he got a bigger stick. I do get caught up when insults fly, but not taking it to heart as I did early on on these forums. Remember, a sneer can be as insulting as calling someone a dumb ****.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:53 am
@Joe Nation,
No chance Joe. It's the silly sods who make an inordinate and affected fuss about what's going down their gullets next who might pipe down if you want my opinion and I know you agree that my opinion is just as valid as yours.

I'm a traditionalist as you know. But one who will listen to any proposed changes and persecute them to test them out. Like they do testing jet engines to make sure they are safe to proceed with.

A traditional coffee house is for shouting and bawling and fighting battles with words. They are not for posing. They are for arguing the toss with intellectual content.

Food is the penultimate stage, treating the subject at its simplest, in the process of turning land, which has lain fallow for millions of years, into cash. An American economics professor said that newspapers were a method of buying wood pulp at 2 cents a pound and selling it for 10 cents.

The ultimate stage, and one might see it as a two-stage process, subjectively I mean, is when it passes into the hands of our "untouchables" to be reconstituted as well as might be in all the different circumstances to be found in our respective homelands.

A small sea-coast town, for example, might well use it to fatten up the shrimps, or even prawns, and then market them as a local speciality. Large cities will apply industrial techniques to the matter and it might end up in grow-bags at the garden centre. It isn't actually waste.

We are but a way-station between these two economic leviathans.
spendius

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:58 am
@spendius,
You do know why Whitstable oysters are famous don't you. It's because of Whitstable's position down river from London.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 10:19 am
@spendius,
Spendius, stop nursing your grudges and licking the wounds you've acquired elsewhere on this site. Stop with the constant sniping, and the cheap pot shots. Stop with the disingenuous innocent, often clueless, victim routine. Please. Knock it off already.
Quote:
A traditional coffee house is for shouting and bawling and fighting battles with words. They are not for posing. They are for arguing the toss with intellectual content.

I think you have the wrong idea about this particular coffee house--it's a lovely, serene oasis, located in Greenwich Village, where there is lively conversation to be shared with an array of interesting patrons. There is no "shouting and bawling" or constant arguing going on here. We share, discuss, and exchange, ideas and tidbits from our lives, but we are not competitors, or adversaries. This is not a debating society.

And, we are in a café, where talking about food is rather normal, and not engaged in because we lack other topics. One reason we are here is to enjoy the food, as well as the companionship and the relaxed atmosphere.

Either you come here to enjoy the company, and the food, and the ambiance, or you should ask yourself why you are here at all.

Right now, I'd like to enjoy my brunch, and the music emanating from the patio, where a string quartet is creating some lovely sounds.

Wassau, thank you so much for providing the live music today. I'd like to have some freshly squeezed orange juice, some of your Sunday special peach crepes, and a cup of coffee, please.

http://cdn.buuteeq.com/upload/1703/peach-crepes.jpg.352x198_default.jpg

spendius

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 11:29 am
@firefly,
You're only spouting that pile of cliches, ff, because you feel you are in the majority. It would be howled down in a respectable coffee-house as being an incitement to breach the UN conventions on human rights.

All you have done so far is wallow in your psychological and physiological carnalities. Or some of them I should say. Just the ones you can afford to be smug about. You use the confections to chisel the status cliff-face to get a hand hold. And they are nothing but nutrient after being subjected to a makeover.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 03:27 pm
http://verizonyouphone.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/cinco-de-mayo_32.gif

Tonight is a good time to enjoy some Mexican food, and drink, and music. Wassau has said he'll provide it all.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:17 pm
Here's a place that reminds me of our Coffee House - well, on a good day.
Not all of us drink alcohol or, if so, care for wine - but the conviviality is the thing, along with the beauty of the region.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Pix/pictures/2013/5/2/1367508160241/Enoteca-Cormons-001.jpg

Cormòns is the capital of the Collio region, and before deciding which winemaker to visit, stop off at this wine bar that represents 34 neighbouring producers. There are over 300 vintages in the cellar and almost all can be tried by the glass, from €1.60. Plates of affettati, from €8, include salami, cheeses, smoked trout and boiled ham with freshly grated horseradish. The place is always packed with local viticoltori trying each other's wines.
• +39 0481 630371, enotecacormons.it, closed Tuesday

This is from an article about a wine route in that area. That includes b & b's, enotecas, and the writer's view of the ten best vineyards.
Here's the article -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2013/may/03/italy-wines-collio-region-vineyards?INTCMP=SRCH
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, only that "where are we?", "the women?" Wink

We have wineries 10 minutes from here, in good weather, we often go for a drive, have lunch, check some out, buy some wine and come home.... Awesome.

FF, eatable flowers..... Don't they look beautiful off course I won't eat them, but I often take the petals off and use them for displays on plates.

Dinner tonight at our house , rectangle table discussion about our Thai trip away soon, and I think we shall try some Thai food for the menu.... Must remember to take some photos.

Of the food display not us Wink

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:41 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Well, the other choice was a photo of 4 women..
which would have brought on a spendius comment.
This will probably get one anyway, given the subject matter.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
The place is always packed with local viticoltori trying each other's wines.

I think that's a euphemistic way of saying that they are trying to get pissed. It's a posh alternative to taking turns at buying rounds of booze in a pub.

Not that pubs close on Tuesdays.
firefly

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
but the conviviality is the thing...

That's also what spendius can't understand about this coffee house...or doesn't want to understand...or doesn't want to accept...--conviviality.

con·viv·i·al
adj.
1. Fond of feasting, drinking, and good company; sociable.
2. Merry; festive:

Noun 1. conviviality - a jovial nature
joviality
sociability, sociableness

con·viv·i·al
[kuhn-viv-ee-uhl]
adjective
1. friendly; agreeable: a convivial atmosphere.
2. fond of feasting, drinking, and merry company; jovial.
3. of or befitting a feast; festive.

I see nothing about, "shouting and bawling and fighting battles with words," which seems to be the only kind of coffee house spendi can envision--one in which people are constantly arguing and viewing each other as adversaries. I think he wandered into the wrong coffee house when he came in here, if that's what he was looking for.

I much prefer convivial.

Watched the Met's new production of Verdi's, "Un Ballo in Maschera" today. The singing was wonderful, but I wasn't overly fond of the staging.
This critic pretty much sums up my feeling about it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wilborn-hampton/un-ballo-in-maschera-met-opera_b_2101645.html

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
how about spring rolls? can I substitute spring rolls for the egg rolls in my order?

Just in from two days of dance workshops with an old school cabaret style dancer. It was kind of frightening at first but so much fun once we got going. I am going to need some food and naproxen. I wonder if Sybil has a stash in back.

If I can sub spring rolls in, I'll have the combo with bok choy in black bean sauce, bbq pork fried rice and a Shanghai corn chowder. If there are no substitutions, I'll have the number 3 instead.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:27 pm
@spendius,
I suppose some italians do drink too much, but as a generalization, the culture is that being drunk is "brutto figura" in a country where bella figura is quite important.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:33 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
FF, eatable flowers..... Don't they look beautiful...

Yes, they do look beautiful. And they make the plate look very special and lovely.

And they reminded me I want to get some pansies for the pots outside my front door. I'll look for some tomorrow.
firefly

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I was planning on having Mexican food tonight. But then Found Soul mentioned Thai, and now you have me craving Chinese food, and osso mentioned Italy....

Decisions, decisions...but all the choices are good. I better make up my mind soon, I'm hungry.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:54 pm
@firefly,
I just quick roasted some broccoli (salt, pepper, turmeric, olive oil), tried one (yes, done and not overdone) and now I could eat a horse.

I've never eaten horse. Saw it on a menu in Cremona, but abstained - more from being money careful than lack of adventure in trying something. I'll try most but not all food once (though horse.... treatment of horses is another whole subject).
0 Replies