Lola at the Coffee House

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Few movies had the impact for me of Dr Strangelove. I went in a theater with a friend, having no idea what we were about to see. Didn't even know the title. I was initially shocked, but gradually relaxed. I own a copy to watch every four or five years.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:31 pm
I would like a late evening coffee please. I don't care if it is getting near to bed time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:32 pm
I got to yank the kink out of this thread. >yank<
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:33 pm
Again. >yank<
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That song was a very haunting ending to that film. I was stunned by it when I first saw it, when I was a little kid. The film I mean. And it does stay in my head, the song I mean.

The film blew a hole in my brain that let so much light in....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:26 pm
<sigh>

I am listening to two men on the radio right now. I always thought Jian Ghomeshi had THE voice, but I'm swooning over Mohsin Hamid's voice. Wow.

<swoon>

http://www.cbc.ca/q/2013/04/24/iron-and-wine-pop-culture-vs-high-art/

go in about 20 minutes into the podcast

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/podcasts/qpodcast_20130424_89768.mp3

oh my freaking god

those voices

wow

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:27 pm
@ehBeth,
uh oh
Adam Gopnik is on next - debating Shakespeare was a pop artist
I'm done for
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I usually don’t get into the music discussions, mostly because I have a tin ear. But also, music to me normally involves Verdi, Puccini, Rossini, Pavarotti, Callas…or folk like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mozart and the like, which is not where most “music” discussions are headed. (Glad to see so much of it here!)

That's just about the only kind of music I listen to regularly. My car radio is set to a classical music station, and it's the only station I listen to while driving, and it's the only radio station I listen to at home. It's the only kind of music I've gone to see and hear in live performances for probably decades, and it's pretty much the only kind of music I buy.

Like you, I am not a particular fan of Wagner, but, I agree, his music can certainly be powerful, transporting, and very stirring.

I recorded the complete Ring cycle, from the current Met production, that was broadcast on pbs several months ago. My intention was/is to watch it in sequence on successive days, to get "the full experience". So far, I haven't been able to work up the stamina, or motivation, to do that yet. I'd like to see the entire Ring that way, at least once, although my tolerance (and ability to stay awake) for Wagner is not great.

Quote:
I watched Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove this afternoon…and Vera Lynn’s We’ll Meet Again is working a rut in my brain. I cannot shake it…and will probably wake up during the night with it playing in my head.

Spectacular movie…haunting ending…compelling song.

Dr Stranglove is probably one of my three or four most very favorite movies--I have large portions of dialogue so committed to memory I can recite it along with the characters. It is a spectacular movie, just brilliant, with a brilliant Peter Sellers and an outstanding, and perfect, supporting cast. Apart from being about a deadly serious topic, it's also hystertically funny at times. Like Edgar, I also own it, and watch it once every several years as a special treat.
Quote:
Vera Lynn’s We’ll Meet Again is working a rut in my brain...

I cannot ever listen to that song, or melody, without being reminded of this film. It was a perfect choice for the film.

I think everything about Dr Strangelove is just perfect.

As far as haunting endings go, on the very same topic, have you ever seen, or do you remember, the movie, "Failsafe" with Henry Fonda? The ending of that one was absolutely chilling, and very effective.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 10:41 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Did you know that Maria Callas was a fat person as an up-and-coming singer, when she was learning the trade.
Then she got a tapeworm, due probably to eating steak tartare, and she got skinny.
Weightwatchers don't have that as an option.

OK, I'm missing something, McTag. What does Maria Callas and her tapeworm have to do with Knopfler?
Lola

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 10:45 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
We have a very old house (by US standards). It was common to house all sorts of folks in these rambling shacks. We have"A hired mans room", a tack room", outer mud room, amd inner mud room, a Parlor, cool pantry a warm pantry , two winter bedrooms with fireplaces upstairs and two summer bedrooms along with two "inside bedrooms"(these had Franklin stoves). There is a library (which was the local post office in the 17 and 1800's). Kitchen and Dining area had to be scrounged out of the tiny downstairs rooms , one of which was a bar.
theres an "Attic bedroom" for travellers and several others that we had converted to bathrooms

And how many people live there?
Lola

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 10:47 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Cmon lets shoot some pool, thatl get you cheered up. I stink at pool.

So do I. Can I play too?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:43 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Did you know that Maria Callas was a fat person as an up-and-coming singer, when she was learning the trade.
Then she got a tapeworm, due probably to eating steak tartare, and she got skinny

I don't think that is true. She took off weight, and kept it off, mainly by restricting her food intake.

Quote:
Various rumours spread regarding her weight loss method; one had her swallowing a tapeworm, while Rome's Panatella Mills pasta company claimed she lost weight by eating their "physiologic pasta", prompting Callas to file a lawsuit. Callas stated that she lost the weight by eating a sensible low-calorie diet of mainly salads and chicken
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Callas

Quote:
When she lost an incredible 40 kilograms in one year Maria Callas transformed herself from fat and dowdy opera singer into svelte and elegant diva.
The pressure to stay thin was tremendous for the food-loving soprano, whose newly published personal papers show how she tried to comfort herself during her tormented battles with her weight.

Callas began a habit of meticulous recipe collecting, scribbling down instructions for her favourite dishes as she travelled the world.

She would 'steal' recipes from famous cooks in hotels, writing them on scraps of paper and stuffing them into her handbag. But they were for food she herself would never eat. 'She loved food, especially cakes and puddings, but lived mostly on steak and salad,' said Callas expert Bruno Tosi, who is allowing the handwritten recipes to be published for the first time in Italy. 'Writing down these recipes was a vicarious pleasure because she rarely allowed herself to taste any of them.'

Callas's international career began in 1947 when opera singers were expected to be overweight. But at 108kg she felt miserable and regarded herself as ugly and unlovable. When the director Luchino Visconti told her to lose 30kg before he would work with her, she dropped 40kg. She then went on to lose another 8kg.

According to legend, Callas's enormous weight loss came about because she deliberately swallowed a tapeworm. Tosi, president of the International Maria Callas Association, said she did have to have treatment for worms, possibly because of her fondness for raw steak, but she dropped the weight by following a diet based on consuming iodine.

'It was a dangerous treatment because it affected the central nervous system and changed her metabolism, but she turned into a beautiful swan,' said Tosi.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/jul/24/italy.arts

I'd never heard of consuming iodine as a method of weight loss. But, apparently, some believe it speeds up metabolism by affecting the thyroid gland. It does sound like something that's dangerous to fool around with.

I've never been a huge Callas fan, although her voice had great dramatic color and could be thrilling in certain arias and roles.

The effect of Callas, on those who do love her, is perfectly captured in this scene from the movie, "Philidelphia".

Actually, I think that scene captures the essence of why opera lovers love opera--because of how it can so powerfully affect them.

Great acting by Tom Hanks.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 01:08 am
@Lola,

Quote:
What does Maria Callas and her tapeworm have to do with Knopfler?

Not much, as far as I know.

Did you know that Andrew Lloyd Webber approached Ian Drury to collaborate as lyricist on some of his works, but Ian turned him down.

What an odd partnership hat would have been. I don't like Lloyd Webber, but he's had some hits, you've got to give him that.
spendius

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 05:27 am
@McTag,
I'm into the tanks with heaving bosoms Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjvC8J0_AkM
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 05:57 am
@McTag,
I didn't know that, but I did hear that despite being a staunch Thatcherite he'll be getting some of the royalties from Ding Dong.

Didn't he collaborate with Ben Elton at one point?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:31 am
@McTag,
Yay Ian! Love Ian Drury.

Bloody autocorrect doesn't know "Ian"!
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 08:09 am
@Lola,
two humans and two cats mostly.
Visitors include the kids and relatives.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 08:24 am
@dlowan,
Hit me with your rhythm stick!
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 08:25 am
@Ragman,
Hit me! Hit me!
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 08:26 am
@dlowan,