Quote:
It takes all sorts izzy.

It does. True
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:55 am
@spendius,
Quote:
This is a pub with no beer. Which is just as well.

We have beer and wine and most anything you want. We even have an upstairs on the roof with visiting music groups. Don't be spreading misinformation, spendi.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:56 am
@McTag,
Quote:
This is a pub with no beer. Which is just as well.

Very good McTag.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 12:02 pm
@Lola,
I think that I have before mentioned 'vacuous'.

Hey, Lola, did you hear that "Tsarnaev was charged with two federal counts of using a weapon of mass destruction to kill, injure and cause widespread damage at the marathon".

Can you see the irony? It's dripping, nay, pouring off the "statute of liberty".
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 12:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Right ... don't get me wrong, I understand what she said, and why she said it, and I agree with it.

Why doesn't everyone put this troll on ignore? I have. It seems not doing so is feeding. We have enough trouble with spendi. We don't need more.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 12:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'll do the wee list of tapes though

Good list! Nice to find someone who shares my eclectic taste in music! Love Gigli and love Mark Knopfler - in my world there is plenty of room for almost every genre - heavy metal, string quartets, modern jazz, blues, folk, classic rock, ballads ..... the list is long! I tried to stay away from opera for a long time - my mother was a trained opera singer and I was raised on it - but being a typical awkward teen, I purported to like anything but! However one can't ignore such beauty for long, and it soon took its place in my own collection of music.
Lola

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 01:33 pm
@vonny,
Quote:
Mark Knopfler

I don't know Gigli, but Knopfler is also a favorite of mine.
vonny

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 02:13 pm
@Lola,
Gigli has a beautiful voice, but the videos on YouTube don't do it justice. This is one I remember from my childhood - my mother was a huge fan!
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:18 pm
@vonny,
He is supposed to have fathered an unknown number of children on an unknown number of women despite being short and fat.

My mother was a fan.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:20 pm
@vonny,
Oh--good luck tomorrow.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:23 pm
@vonny,
You said this on another thread--

Quote:
don't spread yourself too thinly or your own health will suffer.

Do you think the corollary is true?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 04:06 pm
@Lola,

Quote:
I don't know Gigli, but Knopfler is also a favorite of mine.

Did you know that Maria Callas was a fat person as an up-and-coming singer, when she was learning the trade.
Then she got a tapeworm, due probably to eating steak tartare, and she got skinny.

Weightwatchers don't have that as an option.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 04:15 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The master bedroom is on the way out, thanks to politically correct builders who want to avoid sexual politics with home buyers.

New homebuilders are increasingly calling a house's largest bedroom the "owner's bedroom" or "owner's suite," according to The Washington Business Journal, which surveyed 10 major homebuilders.

What's behind the master bedroom's fall from grace? Builders want to avoid negative connotations with gender, since "master" denotes men, and with race, because of the term "slave master."

"I imagine it’s not only a more accurate description but also a more politically correct term of art,” Winchester Homes executive Steve Nardella told the publication.

I found this interesting, given that's my profession, Real Estate.

I think owners bedrooms sounds stupid... quite frankly.

I also think Master has a sexy ring to it, supposidly you don't just sleep in ones bedroom.... Isn't it the case that either sex can be the Master these days? Wink

If this comes to Australia ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I mean if they want to change it Grand entrance room sounds better Wink No ok, Grand bedroom suite... Something that relates to the size coupled with en-suite.

Maybe...............
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 04:30 pm
On people we've seen perform, memories?

I have a few, how about you?

Bellafonte - an aunt and uncle took the cousin grouping to hear him. Maybe it was at the Greek, '55 or '56.

Joan Baez singing a capella at the San Diego sports arena, circa '71.

Ray Charles at the Shrine in LA (we were waaaaaaaay up in the balcony) - '63 or '64.

The Stones, Hollywood Bowl, I think '66. My friends told me I looked like Mick Jagger (must have been my stylish sort of english outfit plus my hair, another self cut effort, in other words, I looked like an odd woman, '66 being not too long after the early sixties).

Coltrane, on a date at the UCLA auditorium. I hated it. What did I know.........
'63 or 4 again

Julian Bream, classical guitarist, Royce Hall again. '64ish
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 04:33 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
We have a very old house (by US standards). It was common to house all sorts of folks in these rambling shacks. We have"A hired mans room", a tack room", outer mud room, amd inner mud room, a Parlor, cool pantry a warm pantry , two winter bedrooms with fireplaces upstairs and two summer bedrooms along with two "inside bedrooms"(these had Franklin stoves). There is a library (which was the local post office in the 17 and 1800's). Kitchen and Dining area had to be scrounged out of the tiny downstairs rooms , one of which was a bar.
theres an "Attic bedroom" for travellers and several others that we had converted to bathrooms

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 05:10 pm
I usually don’t get into the music discussions, mostly because I have a tin ear. But also, music to me normally involves Verdi, Puccini, Rossini, Pavarotti, Callas…or folk like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mozart and the like, which is not where most “music” discussions are headed. (Glad to see so much of it here!)

When I am in need of something to stir me on, I turn to a composer I really don’t much like…but Wagner’s Tannhauser Overture moves me when I want to be moved. And today I needed some motivation.

But that is not really why I am writing.

I watched Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove this afternoon…and Vera Lynn’s We’ll Meet Again is working a rut in my brain. I cannot shake it…and will probably wake up during the night with it playing in my head.

Spectacular movie…haunting ending…compelling song.

Just thought I'd share it...although now that I've mentioned it, I suspect some of you may find the song beating a rut in your brains also.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 05:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I think my ear is ok but I've the opposite of perfect pitch, so I'm self misguided about lousy pitch. Because I can usually tell what is off though I couldn't explain it, I loathe my own attempts to sing. Recently I've begun singing to my dog, which probably makes her need to go out....

Callas, favorite cd = la divina 2. What I used to play driving through the redwood forest miles.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 05:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,

Cmon lets shoot some pool, thatl get you cheered up. I stink at pool.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 06:10 pm
@farmerman,
Wicked..

I'd love to own an old building, with such history attached.

Sounds awesome farmerman.

Are these names the names that were chosen in that era? "A hired mans room" for instance.
farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 06:50 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
pmuch. We found a plan done in 1857 for an addition, It included the names of several of the rooms I mentioned, including the "hired mans room".
As it turned out, I later was looking up all the deeds and the house's history and saw that the house didnt change ownership from 1802 till 1913 (The 1802 sale ws not recorded in the county seat until 20 years after the sale. Its about 34 miles S of Lancaster City which was a long buggy ride in those days.
0 Replies