Lola at the Coffee House

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 06:48 am
@ossobuco,
I don't think that is fair osso. JTT's cause is a worthy one. He is trying to get on everybody's nerves. Our nerves should be got on on such an issue.

And as for that old ridiculous chestnut about seeking attention, what else are the rest of us doing if not exactly that? At least JTT is trying to focus attention on the plight of those less fortunate than ourselves. Your record collection is a blatant example at attention seeking.

We need to be mocked.

Contrast the feeding frenzy from the Boston marathon with Scott Pelley's use of the assertion "insurgents" to sanitize a short item about a drone strike on a village in West Pakistan where people are lucky to get a square meal once in a while. And if they are "insurgents" at least they are in their own country. Pelley wouldn't dare call them "freedom fighters". Not on the News I mean. Is it possible that in his private moments he has never once thought that they might be just that: freedom fighters? As some of us would be if the Russian military was running loose in our countries and calling all the shots and calling us "insurgents".

If he has thought that, even just once, and no intelligent man could avoid it, then his use of "insurgents" is---well---what is it? A thought like that cannot be shook loose.

We have a long history of labeling people "terrorists" when they are fighting for autonomy. Some of them ended up at dinners in Buckingham Palace. And Downing Street. Some of them produced the US Constitution.

JTT is not a pest to me. I don't accept the Ignore principle.

Have you ever heard of Resistance Analysis? Lola can explain that I think.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:00 am
@McTag,
Quote:
He writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

That's a large claim. I find him amusing. The way he milks the sentimental matrons who have had makeovers is funny.

Dylan frightens people out of their wits. There's nothing comforting in his oeuvre. I have seen him live a few times and not once have I put my hands together to clap.

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:12 am
@JTT,
Quote:
What in particular is it that you find so attractive about hanging out with these poseurs, Spendi?

It's my pub obsession. This is a pub with no beer. Which is just as well.

I was a serious poseur once. Jaguar, gold wrist chain, diamond ring and matching cuff links, tie pin: the whole bag of tricks I could manage. Different kit every night.

What a relief it was to pack it in. Thorstein Veblen caused that. I wasn't up for being mocked that good.
McTag

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:27 am
@izzythepush,

I could have been the ticket man at Fulham Broadway Station
McTag

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:30 am
@spendius,

Quote:
not once have I put my hands together to clap.

Good thing. You can't clap with your hands together. They've got to be apart first.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:37 am
@McTag,
What a waste.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:43 am
@Diane,
Hi Diane, I don't get to see you very often, so I hope you'll be dropping by here more frequently.

Maybe we can get a weekly group together--a ladies lunch. Then we could become the ladies who lunch. Wink

firefly

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:39 am
Wassau, I'd like some French toast and coffee this morning.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/jos2829/Others%202/frentoast4.jpg

I came across this in today's news...
Quote:
The master bedroom is on the way out, thanks to politically correct builders who want to avoid sexual politics with home buyers.

New homebuilders are increasingly calling a house's largest bedroom the "owner's bedroom" or "owner's suite," according to The Washington Business Journal, which surveyed 10 major homebuilders.

What's behind the master bedroom's fall from grace? Builders want to avoid negative connotations with gender, since "master" denotes men, and with race, because of the term "slave master."

"I imagine it’s not only a more accurate description but also a more politically correct term of art,” Winchester Homes executive Steve Nardella told the publication.

It seems really odd to me that, in 2013, they are suddenly worried about the sexist and racist connotations of calling certain rooms "master". Was there a massive outcry, that I failed to hear, demanding a more politically correct designation for these rooms?

I've never associated "master bedroom" with either gender or slavery. I've simply thought of it as the largest bedroom, or a bedroom suite that also incorporates a bathroom. And it's generally where the owners sleep, regardless of their gender, since "master" simply refers to the ones who are in control of the house. "Master" also refers to someone who is very proficient or accomplished at something, regardless of gender--they are simply a person regarded with respect in a certain area. And the owner of a home is certainly worthy of respect within their own domain.

I just don't like the sound of "owner's bedroom" or "owner's suite". I like the sound of "master" to describe certain rooms--it doesn't conjure up unpleasant or negative associations for me, and it never has. Being "the master" is not necessarily a bad thing. I really don't get why this descriptive nonsense has suddenly invaded the housing/real estate market. I find it just silly.

What's next? If I want to teach a Master Class in something, do I have to call it a Mistress Class? Laughing Then I'd also have to worry about some of the connotations of the word "mistress". Laughing

Anyhow, it's nice to read some news that doesn't involve anyone getting killed or harmed.

Wassau, I think I need more coffee, please....

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:45 am
@firefly,
Good idea ff. Us chaps could agree one day a week we don't post.

Let's see what you can do? No food pics. please. We've worked that seam out. Washup has to change the tablecloths too often.

I'll go for it. You choose the day. Friday is Ladies' Day at Royal Ascot and Aintree. Perhaps it's a crucifixion jest.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:47 am
@firefly,
Quote:
The master bedroom is on the way out, thanks to politically correct builders who want to avoid sexual politics with home buyers.

New homebuilders are increasingly calling a house's largest bedroom the "owner's bedroom" or "owner's suite," according to The Washington Business Journal, which surveyed 10 major homebuilders.

What up with "shagging pad"? The smallest could be the Coventry Room.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:50 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Anyhow, it's nice to read some news that doesn't involve anyone getting killed or harmed.

That Pablum will get JTT's blood up I should think.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 09:24 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco, addressing the troll wrote:
You are a pest, plain and simple. Shut the **** up.
You have been told you are not welcome on the thread and you slime around for attention.

If the troll doesn't get fed, the troll doesn't eat.
firefly

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 09:49 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
If the troll doesn't get fed, the troll doesn't eat.

Some trolls feed on the mere sight of a thread. They require no encouragement other than the capacity to post.

I'm glad osso spoke her mind and let off steam. She expressed what many of us have been feeling. And now we'll move on to other things...

firefly

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 10:05 am
I was just warching, "The View" on the TV in the corner of the cafe, and listening to it on my wireless headphones. Steve Martin and Edie Brickell were guests on the program and they performed a duet from their new album. I really enjoyed it.

Steve Martin is one of the most incredibly multi-talented people around.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 10:13 am
@McTag,
Don't serve anyone anything, Wassau, until they are adult like enough to answer some important questions about the immense harm that the US is doing to the world.

And also, Wassau, stop letting them treat you like the hired help.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 10:46 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
I'm glad osso spoke her mind and let off steam. She expressed what many of us have been feeling. And now we'll move on to other things...

Right ... don't get me wrong, I understand what she said, and why she said it, and I agree with it.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:04 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Right ... don't get me wrong, I understand what she said, and why she said it, and I agree with it.

That's a fatuous statement, Tico. How does a man, supposedly an adult, understand when he hides himself in an envelope of ignorance?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:04 am
@firefly,
What dreary pap ff. The verse is the Hollis Brown tune.

Take about a tour-de-limp.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:07 am
@firefly,
Quote:

You're no different than Tico, Firefly. Two cowards who don't possess what's necessary to face the hard issues. You live in la la land. This thread is testament to your vacuous nature.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:49 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Her name was Lola
She was a showgirl
With feathers in her hair
And her dress cut down to there...

That's me alright. Sure it is. Really, it is. giggle