Lola at the Coffee House

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 03:06 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I think it's a matter of respect to the hostess.

In a similar way, I try not to engage directly with another poster when we are both seem to be trying to assist a third poster. Respect for the thread host can prevent unpleasantness on occasion.

Best comment I've read in this thread in days, Beth.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 03:06 am
@Lola,
Lola wrote:

Quote:
I think it's a matter of respect to the hostess.

I have noticed this Beth. And I thank you for it.

Yup!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 03:08 am
Yo...whoever is working this morning.

Pancakes please (or flapjacks, if you prefer).

Bacon. Three strips. Crispy.

Extra Maple Syrup.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 04:15 am
@spendius,
Quote:
There you go vonny. You've got the list.

What do you make of it?

You never ask a straightforward question, Spendius - but for what it's worth, I think it's a good list that covers a broad spectrum of music. I think we have most of them - but not Los Lobos, and have never heard of Jon Wilcox. Some lovely pieces of classical music there.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 05:16 am
@vonny,
Ill start off with a pair of breakfast burritae . HOLD anything that looks like green peppers. Then I want a lemon Danish toasted with lotsa butter ontop and a nice cuppa black and tan.

Im a hungry boy this AM.
Any topics of conversation shall wait till Ive had a few bites and sips.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 06:10 am
@firefly,
I take it as objective proof that somebody is enjoying something when they keep on returning to it. That they deny it is only words which don't speak as loudly as actions.

I know what ladies enjoy.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would choose to "settle for that answer" since it really skirts the question you asked, in addition to his unsubstantiated, and inaccurate, claim that I enjoy such nonsense.

"Not sure" and "really" are slippery words. And the first paragraph here substantiates the accuracy of what I said. I can't understand (notice the difference from " I'm not sure why") your attention to my posts if they are nonsense (another assertion) unless you are enjoying it. It's all nonsense isn't it. Tricking up nutrient with fat, sugar, spice and dye to look pretty is pure nonsense. Where are Dylan, Seeger and all the rest without the stage engineers and scientists have prepared for them? It's not unlike giving a budgie marijuana seeds or a kitten Catnip. And the scientists and engineers went to the "ticky-tacky" universities and the roadies live in "ticky-tacky" little boxes. Little Boxes is drivel and it amazes me that somebody didn't throw a bucket of water over Seeger when he started singing it. It's a lower-middle-class version of Henry Miller's "gob of spit in the face of humanity". It's non-existent as poetry. There's not a scorrick of art in the damn thing. At least Miller put some effort in. Take the lyrics to a psychiatrist and ask him what he thinks about it.

I enjoy it ff. And I do believe you do. If I didn't enjoy it I would be long gone.

Quote:
A grown man who engages in name calling simply for "fun" is engaging in rather juvenile antics that have little or nothing to do with the "rapid exchange of ideas" you say you enjoy.

I put "Don't grow up, it's a trap" on the "Quotation" thread yesterday. Forever young. And "rather" is another slip-slider. As is "little or nothing".

"May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation when the wind of changes shift."

Quote:
And, particularly with regard to the "Little Boxes" discussion, I found spendius' comments, in general, not only rather devoid of ideas, the man admitted he hasn't listened to, or read, all the lyrics to the song--a song which has nothing to do with needs for "affordable housing" or any of the other irrelevancies he put forth, and a song which is definitely rooted in a cultural historical context he completely ignored.

Another "rather". The need for affordable housing is the only substantive issue. I know the historical context thoroughly. Most of my friends lived in little boxes and went to ticky-tacky schools. But they were most definitely not all the same. A few got killed getting the cheap oil Mr Seeger was totally dependent on. Dressed in ticky-tacky uniforms too. Looked at down the nose from a safe distance they were all the same. But they weren't. The more I think about that sodding song the worse it gets. It's morbid.

Quote:
Spendius' only interest in the topic appeared to stem from his associating Seeger with the song, and his need to trash Seeger, as a vendetta for some nebulous incident that happened between Seeger and Dylan almost 50 years ago.

If I wanted to get depressed I would imagine life if the Seeger/Lomax set had won the debate. We would still be wearing pullovers.

Quote:
I couldn't care less what went on between Seeger and Dylan almost half a century ago, but that's where spendius' head is still at.

And will remain so. I have a sense of history and how we got where we are. I don't think it all grew 0n the trees ready for me to pick. It's been chiseled out of the dirt. "I can hear the ancient footsteps like the motion of the sea"

I'm not trying to trash Seeger. I'm out to trash what he represented. The nerd on an ego trip based on practicing the banjo a lot and some family connections.

It is some fantastic exchange of ideas to continually be ordering food from Washup, that you haven't ordered before, I must say. How about tripe in onion flavoured vinegar.

Anybody wishing to check out ff's name calling capacities has only to read through the DSK/Sofitel thread.
spendius

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 06:34 am
@firefly,
That song is a lot better ff. By some considerable distance.

Quote:
and told him it was the best he’d ever heard the song sung.

That doesn't mean that it was better than Dylan singing it. Only Dylan can sing songs like that. And he knows it too.

Did you ever read what Dylan said to Barry Manilow?

Have you a video of Richie Havens doing Hard Rain?
spendius

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 06:40 am
@vonny,
Quote:
You never ask a straightforward question, Spendius - but for what it's worth, I think it's a good list that covers a broad spectrum of music. I think we have most of them - but not Los Lobos, and have never heard of Jon Wilcox. Some lovely pieces of classical music there.

So you don't think it's a roadmap of osso's soul then?
spendius

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 07:24 am
@firefly,
Quote:
if conformity goes too far.

That doesn't mean anything. What's too far? What's conformity?

I saw a bit of an Artland USA programme just now. I was checking what was on Sky Arts and I just happened to drop on a scene in which an extraordinarily dolled-up woman was showing off her extraordinarily decorated car. She had ten painted fingernails each with a different transfer. A heart, a star, an anchor, that sort of thing. Set on a shiny silver background. She had reduced her fingernails to a background. She had a chiffon style scarf which had been tied round her neck everso really, really casually.

The trouble is that she is still a flesh and blood woman conforming to the evolved pattern in zillions of respects. Her "common indifferent plight" was being downplayed. She had become a Christmas cake.

The car is still a car too despite the patina her obsessive rejection of conformity had motivated her to give it, at some expense of time and money. And every little piece of the car conforms to very strict specifications otherwise cars would cost so much that nobody would build roads to drive them on. The cheap car and the affordable housing are only possible by the application of conformity.

But still--she had got herself on TV.

Did you ever see Maria Muldaur sing that line "meat shaking on your bones"? It got slipped into a long documentary about Dylan. I can't remember which. Probably the Scorsese one. Just a few seconds.

Some might say that conformity has gone too far if we are not allowed to paint the front door whatever colour we want or have a pot nodding dog in the rear window. Others would say it had gone too far when it stopped a chap blowing a cow up onstage or insisting that can-can girls wear knickers.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 08:51 am
@spendius,
One of my favorite Richie Havens is one of his latter day offerings, sort of a bluesy tempo with simple lines. Its often beenm used as "place holding" or "credits " music in several flicks
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:08 am
@farmerman,
MAY 21 is "Talk like Yoda Day", mark your calendars. It is an A2K HOLY DAY OF OBLIGATION

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:17 am
@farmerman,
Tell me fm--if you plant some seeds in a tray are the ones that come up first the best or are they just flashy with not much follow through?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:36 am
@spendius,

Quote:
Did you ever read what Dylan said to Barry Manilow?

No. What did he say?

BTW did you know that Barry Manilow plays the accordion? Not only that, but he plays it in his act.

A definition of a gentleman: A gentlemen is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:04 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I know what ladies enjoy

http://server1.webkicks.de/rrpchat/replacer/lach.gif

You certainly seem to display a deaf ear when it comes to the negative feedback you get from the "ladies", particularly regarding your misogynistic comments and attitudes.
Quote:
I take it as objective proof that somebody is enjoying something when they keep on returning to it. That they deny it is only words which don't speak as loudly as actions.

Then it must be taken as "objective proof" that you enjoy making misogynistic comments, since you keep on returning to them, and your denials of your sexist attitudes don't mean a thing, given how loudly your actions speak.

And no, I'm not going to waste my time defining or parsing "misogynist" or "sexist" nor am I going to document instances where such things have surfaced in your posts. You'll simply turn a deaf ear and go into what farmerman has aptly termed the "spendi squirm". It would be as pointless as trying to engage you in a serious discussion of any other issue. If you haven't heard such negative feedback by now, from numerous other posters, it will never get through to you.

No, I don't enjoy your juvenile antics. And it didn't surprise me at all when you mentioned wanting a "whoopie cushion" in a recent post, because that's the pre-adolescent level of most of your alleged humor.

You obviously fancy yourself to be quite the raconteur, but, judging by your self-absorption with your own internal monologues, you seem mainly to be titillating yourself and playing to an audience of one. While there is nothing wrong in doing that sort of thing, it is not really designed for any other audience participation or interchange.

Quote:
I like snooty broads. When they are transformed into a juddering mass of wallowing ectoplasm there is a sense of real achievement.

Yup, spendi, you sure do know what the "ladies" enjoy.
http://server1.webkicks.de/rrpchat/replacer/lach.gif

firefly

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:11 am
Wassau, I'd like another coffee please, and some of your freshly baked blueberry muffins.
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/blueberry-muffin-coffee-9947416.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:16 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
And it didn't surprise me at all when you mentioned wanting a "whoopie cushion" in a recent post, because that's the pre-adolescent level of most of your alleged humor.

There's nothing pre-odolescent about fart gags.

(saw the typo, decided to leave it)
firefly

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:38 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

There's nothing pre-odolescent about fart gags.

Maybe that's because some guys never grow up. Wink
http://www.crowbarbenson.com/comics-archive/2012-03-26-armpit-farts.jpg

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:46 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

MAY 21 is "Talk like Yoda Day", mark your calendars. It is an A2K HOLY DAY OF OBLIGATION

You gotta remind us of this a bit closer to May 21st.
firefly

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:51 am
Today is International Sing Out Day.

I always do my best singing in the shower, sometimes in my car (but generally only when I'm alone), because, unfortunately, I am generally so off-key, that any subjected listeners will ask me to immediately cease and desist.

I love the looks from other drivers when I am stopped at a light, alone in the car, with the car windows rolled up, and they can see my lips moving.

Does anyone else here sing in the shower? How about in the car? Did you sing out today?
spendius

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:56 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Then it must be taken as "objective proof" that you enjoy making misogynistic comments, since you keep on returning to them, and your denials of your sexist attitudes don't mean a thing, given how loudly your actions speak.

I do not make misogynistic comments. I simply make a few amiable remarks about ladies which help, not much mind you, to protect me from the power they hold, or used to hold, over me. A bit like the things people say about tobacco when they are trying to stop smoking to convince themselves they are doing the right thing.

The man who refrains from suchlike comments obviously does not feel oppressed and obsessed by female power, having neutralised it in advance with various techniques which I will not speak of on account of how corny they all are. He is the misogynist because female divinity is not on his radar due to it having been occluded by that of his own.

http://vimeo.com/46076405