Lola at the Coffee House

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:13 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
"a time for peace, I swear it's not too late."

The words obviously escape you, Firefly. Or your renowned capacity to banish certain difficult thoughts from your mind takes over.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:14 pm
bump bump bump
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:19 pm
@vonny,
Quote:
Imagine the countless Spendii who've entered those sacred portals - just imagine if the all parked their ample posteriors on the sofa - hideous thought!

I know vonny. I am ashamed of my actions. I was probably thinking that a rose blooms where once some buried Caesar bled.

Don't ever try to visualise a world of countless spendis. The Footsie would be on the floor.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:24 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
Wow vonny. How did you get photos of the cafe?

It's El Fishawy Coffee House in Cairo - but it looks just like one I used to go to near Earl's Court, London!
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/international-foods/cafes-photos-traveler/
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:39 pm
@izzythepush,
The Byrds released a one verse version improperly performed. It was milking the Horlicks brigade. An Albert Grossman cash machine. It plods.

"One hand waving free".

"Awful" singing voice eh? Bloody hell !!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:47 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
I first became aware of Pete Seeger by listening to the Weavers. Anyone else remember the Weavers?

Vividly. But I'd been familiar with Seeger before he became a Weaver. In fact, he had been my first wife's music teacher at Elizabeth Irwin H.S. in NYC.

Didn't Joan Baez record a cover of "Turn, turn, turn" as well?
vonny

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:50 pm
@firefly,
My husband is totally into collecting old music and has most of Seeger's stuff going back to the music that influenced Seeger, like Woody Guthrie, and even before that. Have you heard of the Almanac Singers with Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie? If you like the Weavers, then you might like them. You can trace their involvement with Alan Lomax going back to the 1930's.
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lola's Coffee House - the perfect spot for name droppers.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Seeger was dreadful imo.

He should have come to the dance joints I visited at that time if he didn't know where the flowers had gone.

And it wasn't right to rubbish the houses of the workers as "little boxes".

Truly dreadful. Dylan wiped the fuckers out.
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 01:57 pm
@spendius,
And not only that but he took an axe to the electric cable at Newport when Dylan was playing Maggie's Farm on full bore.
firefly

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:24 pm
@vonny,
Thanks for that info, vonny, and I liked that selection.

I have heard mention of the Almanac Singers, but I just don't recall hearing them before, although I was aware of Seeger's association with Guthrie. I see that Lee Hays, who was part of the Weavers, was also a part of this earlier group. Interesting background on how the Weavers evolved.

I'm going to look for more by this group on You Tube. I still enjoy folk music very much.

Someone should tell spendius that Pete Seeger is still alive--he's about to celebrate his 94th birthday and he's still performing. And his lasting success, and the popularity of his music, suggests that most people don't share spendius' opinion that he's "dreadful".

On November 24, 2012, Pete Seeger performed with Arlo Guthrie and the Guthrie family in a concert at Carnegie Hall and he's got 2 new albums out.
http://www.npr.org/2012/10/27/163728141/at-93-pete-seeger-keeps-the-fire-burning-low
vonny

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:24 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
He should have come to the dance joints I visited at that time if he didn't know where the flowers had gone.

Do you want to reconsider that sentence, flower - I mean Spendius Laughing
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:28 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
he took an axe to the electric cable at Newport when Dylan was playing Maggie's Farm

He said he was going to! Never carried out the threat.
vonny

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:48 pm
@firefly,
My tastes in music widely - from classic rock to blues, from folk to flamenco, opera to heavy metal - I find tracks that I like in almost every genre - rarely a whole album. Grasshopper mind - attention span of a gnat - I know, heard it all before. Some of my favourites in the past few weeks are posted on Rockhead's music thread - this evening I'm back to Jim Croce -

Whereas my husband is totally into blues and folk - goes way back into the first days of recording! He is as fanatical as Spendius about Dylan - but he rates Pete Seeger pretty highly too! Me - I sit on the fence!
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:56 pm
@vonny,
Jim was one of the great ones, Vonny.

Isn't it grand that we've got to live such a carefree and wonderful live while millions of others around the world have had to suffer so greatly at the hands of the US and UK governments?

You do know, don't you that the two overthrew a democratically elected government in Iran just so they could steal Iranian oil?
firefly

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Dylan's singing voice is awful.

I agree with you on that.

I enjoy his music only when it's performed by someone other than Dylan.
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:00 pm
@vonny,
He was restrained as I understand it. Okay--it might be a myth but I like myths when there's a buried truth in them.

"There's only so much you can do with an acoustic guitar"--Bob Dylan.
vonny

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:01 pm
@JTT,
JTT - I shan't even bother to reply after this! Goodbye!
vonny

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:04 pm
@spendius,
Don't tempt me, Spendius! Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:05 pm
@firefly,
eel that way about Kris Kristoffersen. I like his poetry but his voice is better as an actor. I like when Johny Cash sang his works.
0 Replies