Lola at the Coffee House

vonny

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

I have been putting hemp powder in the concoction I drink for breakfast. For one thing, it gives an energy boost.

I didn't know it could be bought in powder form. Thanks for the information - I'll look out for it next time I go shopping - could do with an energy boost at the moment!
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I have no idea...but I would love to know how any bartender gets to the top shelf bottles!

Surely they have a ladder, out of view of the camera lens. Either that, or those items on the top shelf are for decoration only.
0 Replies

JTT

@Lola,
Is it surprising that one coward agrees with another coward.
0 Replies

Setanta

This place is now irrevocably f*cked. Bye . . .
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:42 pm
@Setanta,
I think, considering all the food here, that that's a good idea for you, Set. It would probably do you good to walk back to Ontario.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:43 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
This place is now irrevocably f*cked. Bye . .

Well, I certainly hope not. I'd hate to see Wassau go bankrupt.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:46 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Care to put your money where your mouth is?

Let me know when you start that thread, Rocky.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:02 pm
@Setanta,
Don't leave just yet, Set. Wassau just put out a tray of freshly baked brownies and he has invited everyone to help themselves.
http://www.recipematcher.com/assets/photos/recipes/large/42906.jpg

I am going to have mine with a cold glass of milk.
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:09 pm
@firefly,
That's all Setanta needs, FF!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:13 pm
<Joe Nation walks in from the cloudy day. He looks around, nods to everyone he knows, avoids eye contact with ones he loses money to (damn pool table) and , at the bar, orders a dark beer and a blackened hamburger, no bun, no cheese, no fries. The barmaid tries to get him to try the French Fried Green Beans.
"Less carbs." she says smiling.
"Hmm. Nope." he replies, "how about some sliced tomato and some red onion?"
"Sure." She walks away while scribbling.
Joe looks across the bar into the mirror. He can see the room behind him isn't that full. He wonders if he shouldn't have sat down in a booth.
The barmaid returns and pours a huge glassful of Arrogant Bastard Ale (they know what you like here.) and places the bottle, still about a third full next to the glass.
Joe sips, then takes a nice long draw.
He thinks "It's nice to find a place where the TVs are off and people talk with each other instead of at each other."

He reaches in his pocket, gets his phone out and shuts down his Twitter feed, email, messaging and Facebook.

Joe(Ah, that's better)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Smiles across the room at the guy shutting off his phone..
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
vonny

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:47 pm
@Setanta,
Why not come up to the rooftop and rest awhile - just have a little food and drink whilst listening to a a sonata or two? Calm and quiet up there - no heated discussions allowed!
http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/019/cache/florence-piazzele-michelangelo_1926_600x450.jpg
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:51 pm
@vonny,
Those guys should be watching for a possible drone hit, Vonny.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:53 pm
@vonny,
Good view there, Vonny.
vonny

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Great view Ossobuco - and no drones allowed JTT!
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:57 pm
@vonny,
Quote:
and no drones allowed JTT!

Don't tell me, Vonny. Tell the criminals that are using them, and their avid supporters.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:18 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
A coffee house, where people go to eat, and relax, and chat with acquaintances and other regulars, really wouldn't welcome intruders, who wander in off the street, plop themselves down at occupied tables, begin loudly ranting about social issues, and insisting that the other patrons not only listen to them, but also respond to them, and who then hurl insults at other patrons when they feel ignored. It's simply inappropriate and disruptive social behavior that won't be tolerated in a real coffee house, or in our virtual café. In a real coffee house, such a person would be asked to leave. In our virtual eatery, ignoring may be the best we can do.

Defining the specifications of a "coffee-house" and then whinging about them not being met ignores itself because it is meaningless. When that idiocy is compounded by defining what is "inappropriate" and what is "disruptive" there is a sense of spouting for spouting's sake. Tailoring the environs to suit does not apply to public areas. There are PMs to facilitate that sort of thing.

Quote:
You also tend to throw a hissy fit when you feel your comments are ignored or not responded to.

That's fm's standard trick. I am not bothered who ignores me. I only complain about people in a debate ignoring some of the debaters and remaining in the debate. If a few people were debating gun control, say, it would not be a debate at all if parties were refusing to listen to other arguments at the table. That is not, emphatically not, how we do business in the western world. All opinion becomes set in stone. It is a well known weakness in a leader to refuse to listen to bad news. Some, citing Mrs Thatcher, claim it is a strength but if a couple of bomb timers had not malfunctioned in the South Atlantic Great Britain would have received a blow from which it might never recover.

There is no way anybody here can rant louder than anyone else. If length of post is the standard then you are "up there" ff at ranting. "Ranting" is just another version of ADD. Stick the stiletto in first. Trying to persuade people that I am ranting, and you are not, simply with word magic. Do you do thunderbolts when you get really raging? No wonder the NRA is going strong.

It's time for my fun evening soakie-soakies but I might return to the rest of your rant (a meaningless exercise of the finger chords) if there's any useful point to be made out of it. And I have defined "useful" already in the first paragraph if we can take it that the proper method of debate in our world has led to us having these facilities which we can be presumed to approve of. Which might not be true in the future I'll admit.

Without such facilities fm would have had to construct a curragh in the traditional manner and flights from NY to SF would be on the back of a pterodactyl with short hops. So I feel justified in saying "useful".

And there's the Willendorf Venus to consider as well. And somebody had considered her very carefully in order to produce that beautiful figurine. That guy didn't have ADD. I have wondered whether he hired it out to other hunters on long trips to find the food to keep her in good trim. Neolithic foreplay it is not an exaggeration to say.
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:26 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
That's fm's standard trick.
Ive never done what you are doing right now, asking others to avert their eyes and focus on someone else.
Good Trick there spendi, although it doesnt work when you keep bringing me up.

I could eat some pitted calamattas and a chunk of Asiago cheese and some TRIX.

Illhave a big glass of ICE TEA (unsweet thanks)

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:33 pm
@vonny,
Great view up here, vonny, lots of fresh air, good music, and no annoying panhandlers begging for scraps of attention.

Other than the pigeons, of course, but they beg for cookie crumbs.
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_508/1275343171GGfy8I.jpg

Even the pigeons aren't birdbrained enough to beg, and squawk, and squawk, just for scraps of attention.