Lola at the Coffee House

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:48 am
@spendius,
Quote:

The consensus is that you have alleged that I have a mental disorder

Name that consensus?? I said yu had ADD, thats a "wiring issue" in ones brain and several unit percentage of the entire world population is so wired. Its not a sentence to the snake pit its a way of processing information.
Your constant dwell on this issue is , I gotta admit, A great smile inducer so if your doing this for Ha hA's (not in the ENglish garden yourse succeeding.

Ill take a large black and tan and another cannoli please.
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:53 am
@spendius,
Quote:
is room in a civilised discussion for that point to be raised if it has credibility. Opposition to child labour, public execution, religious intolerance, slavery, torture and pollution has been stifled at various times. It has in certain places been a crime in the US to publicly oppose slavery.

AGREED, the key word is "CIVILIZED". Any similarity to "civilized discussion" is fleetingly tangential.
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 06:03 am
@Lola,
What's "flood prevention" and why would anybody seeking more eyes on ads want to prevent it?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:35 am
bimpies
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:39 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Ah, you're a sweet heart . . . i don't care what Lola says about you . . .

Set, you have never been a follower, always speaking your mind. But in this case, I agree with you. Very human of you vonny to realize a mistake and apologize. Many people are unable to do that. What a nice coffee house!
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
This place gives new meaning to the term "top shelf."

Where is that place Frank? I think I recognize it.
Lola

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:47 am
@spendius,
Quote:
That sort of thing is standard procedure Lola when a loved person rejects the lover. It's the only alternative to moping.

I have to set this record straight. Between Bernie and I, neither has rejected the other. We've simply come to a realistic decision for the time being. Don't worry, spendi. We're not angry, just sad.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:56 am
OK, now Wassau. I'm ready for coffee and breakfast. I'll have the usual. We're all set up here in Cafe 101. We have our resident curmudgeon, and we don't need another. The job of curmudgeon requires skill and talent. spendi has all that. Other applicants need not apply.

Has anyone here ever watched trash TV enough to be a follower of Survivor? Bernie and I happened across it a few years ago and began to watch. It's actually interesting for it's politics and group dynamics. The producers of that show always include at least one player that survives for a long time for the purpose of his/her ability to stir things up.
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:04 am
@farmerman,
As I am given to understand from others the second D is for "disorder".

Quote:
Your constant dwell on this issue is

well- it looks a little like the application of attention doesn't it.

Nothing for ADD experts to get a living out of. Which is the likely explanation of them not doing.

That's what's funny---you defining ADD. Applying your definition to me and then going back to the expert's definition to clarify your idiotic thought processes to yourself. Just like you define science and, I assume, everything else for the purpose of winning your own circular arguments.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:06 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Any similarity to "civilized discussion" is fleetingly tangential.

That's certainly true at your end.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:07 am
@spendius,
I understand that, Spendi, as do those cowards who haven't become cowardly enough to rush to ignore - witness how the number punchers have treated you.

My Lord they are a cowardly bunch!! What does that say about Farmer, Lola et al?
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:12 am
@JTT,
Quote:
What does that say about Farmer, Lola et al?

That they are less cowardly than the Ignorers and down-thumbers.
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:23 am
@spendius,
Those two, among others, are the ignorers, Spendi, and they would include you in a flash if you pointedly addressed, with sources, the issues I've raised.

Look at how quickly Firefly took a powder - she obviously got the PMs. They're like children, completely unable to face facts. It's fingers in the ears and "lalalalalala".
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:28 am
@Lola,
Quote:
We have our resident curmudgeon, and we don't need another.

Lola, that was a sure quick move to dishonesty. Did you learn that from Merry or Farmer or ... ?

You simply are unable to address the issues I raised. That's why you, Firefly, Farmer, Merry, BillRM, CI, ... rush to the safety of 'ignore'.

What a picture, the nation of great debaters hiding in their little holes.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:33 am
@JTT,
you are not a debater, jtt.

simply another goon using the anonymity of the internet to abuse other people and seek attention...
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:36 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
you are not a debater, jtt.

Hi Rocky.

Care to put your money where your mouth is?
firefly

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:22 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I don't mind pretending we are in a coffee-house. It's good fun. But we are actually on an international debate site.

No, this isn't a "debate site". There are a variety of forums and threads, not all of which involve "debating". And, if someone really wants to discuss orpursuee a particular issue or topic, they are free to start a thread about that. Trying to appropriate, or hijack, a thread that's devoted to something else, is rarely the way to win friends or influence people.

If you don't mind pretending we are in a coffee house, then why don't you try doing that?

A coffee house, where people go to eat, and relax, and chat with acquaintances and other regulars, really wouldn't welcome intruders, who wander in off the street, plop themselves down at occupied tables, begin loudly ranting about social issues, and insisting that the other patrons not only listen to them, but also respond to them, and who then hurl insults at other patrons when they feel ignored. It's simply inappropriate and disruptive social behavior that won't be tolerated in a real coffee house, or in our virtual café. In a real coffee house, such a person would be asked to leave. In our virtual eatery, ignoring may be the best we can do.

You also tend to throw a hissy fit when you feel your comments are ignored or not responded to. You can't demand that people pay attention to you, let alone take the time and effort to respond to whatever pearls of wisdom fill your posts. Some folks might reply, others may be disinterested in your comments, or bored by them, or have better things to do, or are disinclined to get into a nit-picking or contentious discussion, and they have a perfect right to turn their attention elsewhere, as do you when something doesn't particularly interest you. If you don't like listening to others talk about ketchup, tune them out. And, if others are bored by Jane Austen, or any other topics you bring up, they can tune you out. Each of us is free to tune into the conversations that interest, or intrigue, or engage us, and tune others out.

But none of us has the right to demand other people's attention, or response, to whatever we have said, and to persist in making such demands. Once such demands start, it's no longer a pleasant relaxed place to visit. And, since I think that Wassau would like to keep this place pleasant, and generally relaxed, because that helps to attract patrons, and keep them coming back, why should we help anyone trash his establishment?

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:28 pm
@firefly,
Now that's an effective propaganda screed, FF.

Quote:
A coffee house, where people go to eat, and relax, and chat with acquaintances and other regulars, really wouldn't welcome intruders, who wander in off the street, plop themselves down at occupied tables, begin loudly ranting about social issues,

Clearly those "social issues", nice euphemism, are what's at issue. Y'all can get right into "social issues" that don't require that you be intellectually honest.

Again, what is it that fails you on this one "social issue"?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:31 pm
@Lola,
I have no idea...but I would love to know how any bartender gets to the top shelf bottles!
Lola

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:36 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And, if others are bored by Jane Austen, or any other topics you bring up,

Lola sits down on the sofa, next to spendius. Come on, spendi, you look so gloomy. Let's talk about Jane Austen. I'm not bored by it in the least. Jane Austen is one of my favorite writers. Please do tell us more about what you've read.