spendius

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 09:18 am
@farmerman,
Stuck for words again eh?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 09:21 am
@farmerman,
Actually fm the building reminds me of a Leggo construction.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:23 am
Wassau!

Hey Wassau!

Forget about the old white boys. They always get like this when Lola's out of town.

phew, there you are.

Tea in my stein please.

What's Sybil making for lunch? oh. hmmm. Sounds good. Ask her to heat one up for me. I think OssoB and Vonny will want some too when they get here.

What?

Soup's a good idea. Chinese pork bone broth and carrots? I'm on. The big bowl.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-glN7Yy9I8oU/UB3ouwx8McI/AAAAAAAAATQ/i52IU5z08VE/s200/chinese+pork+broth.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:40 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks Wassau.

Tell Sybil she's a darling.

I love Serrano ham.

http://i.yummly.com/Charred-Spanish-Ham-And-Cheese-Melts-And-_hot_-Olives-With-Herbs-And-Spices-Food-Network-143507.card.jpg

anymore trashy magazines around? I don't see them as often as I used to since I switched hair salons.

Leave this ham and cheese melt menu out if anyone else is in the mood for a Sunday sandwich melt.

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/ham-and-cheese-melt
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:47 am
@ehBeth,
Yes, I'd certainly like a bowl of the pork broth soup. Oh, and a platter for all of us of the wonderful potstickers. And some ice cold (sorry!) Tsing Tao.

On beauty, monetary value is far down on my own criteria. Even for antiques, I can feel attachment for scarred furniture, and items like the silver platter my mother ruined by putting it in a hot oven. Ordinary material stuff can have its own beauty to me. I've gone on about patina before - I like worn leather wallets, and so on. In fact I find all new stuff - an outfit someone is wearing, a newly planted garden sans surprises, home decor in Architectural Digest, on the boring side of the aisle of style.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:47 am
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQff1fyHfYvwjs-TfBPjqSQvdhy8uQQuE8YzzxtBA0bALFtf3me9Q
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 01:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Tea sounds just fine. May I have some please Wassau? Chai? Or perhaps today I ought to try something different. Any suggestions?

MattDavis

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 01:55 pm
@vonny,
I drink Yerba Mate tea on occasion.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yerba-mate/AN01774
My stimulant of choice for long drives or when temporarily needed to stay up for long hours.
vonny

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 03:20 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
Yerba mate contains polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which are known to be carcinogenic.

Think I'll give it a miss, thanks all the same!
dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Love to have a look at them if you can identify them further? It's all a bit overwrought for my taste, but absolutely fascinating and amazing!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Now I wish I had insisted on Vietnamese food for lunch today! You have me wanting soup....specifically one of those huge serves of Vietnamese soup with the lovely, clear broth and all the veggies and noodles!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:57 pm
@dlowan,
That soup tempted me to the point that I stole some of the dogs' broth and freshly cooked carrots Embarrassed
dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:58 pm
@ehBeth,
I used to do that with my cats' rabbit!
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:33 pm
@spendius,
spendi........................remember? When I left I said, "behave?" Have you?
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:39 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
My stimulant of choice for long drives or when temporarily needed to stay up for long hours.

Are you having to stay up for hours Matt. I don't envy your moving experience. It's so much work, but also can be fun when you get to the arranging of things.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:51 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
But I really do think we should aim to enhance our visual world with as much beauty, and wonderful design, as we possibly can, to heighten our awareness and enliven our senses. And, in that regard, I think Wassau has done a splendid job with this place. There are unexpected touches and intriguing objects everywhere--even the Ladies Room has exquisite hand-painted tiles and beautifully crafted mosaic panels and mirrors. Everything about this place is out of the ordinary, which is one reason I love it so much.

I agree firefly. The world is a better place because of art of all varieties. I also enjoy fine things when I can get them or observe them belonging to others. It can be ostentatious however when a person uses beautiful things in order to enhance or disguise a vacant or shallow view of life.

And yes, Wassau's cafe is decorated in an eclectic style, suited to every taste. It's part of his magic. I love the way he has used silk fabric to drape some of the windows on the shady side of the cafe.
Lola

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Forget about the old white boys. They always get like this when Lola's out of town.

Do you think so Beth? I was wondering if this might be the case too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 03:17 am
I have it from a popular, if not necessarily reliable, source, that whatever Lola wants, Lola gets. Is that true?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 03:23 am
@Setanta,
http://i47.tinypic.com/21c711.jpg
spendius

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 04:57 am
@Lola,
Quote:
spendi........................remember? When I left I said, "behave?" Have you?

I haven't used any tricks of this nature Lola--

Quote:
It can be ostentatious however when a person uses beautiful things in order to enhance or disguise a vacant or shallow view of life.

Unless you define a vacant and shallow view of life satisfactorily you have confirmed your own viewpoint with a self-congratulatory assertion. Which is very naughty and the sort of thing Apisa can't stop himself doing.

But as I said, if the ostentation is displayed on $17 trillion of credit it can cause all sorts of difficult problems which might not admit of solutions in a democratic society.

Flying a few thousand miles causing pollution and demanding expensive protection to see the Watts Chapel folly is pure ostentation and I tried to dissuade anybody from engaging in the silly activity or encouraging it. And I am prepared to be persuaded that such a thing is not a silly activity. Are you prepared to discuss what a vacant and shallow life consists of?

How about this--

Quote:
I love the gleam of really beautiful silver on a dining table--almost as much as I hate having to polish it.
?