Lola at the Coffee House

vonny

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 03:08 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
being totally indifferent to what is "Victorian or Edwardian".

I'm not an expert on anything, but a lot of the silverware I enjoy so much is Georgian - that's the period of choice. But, like my taste in books and music, I have wide ranging tastes in antiques. I was brought up in Georgian and Victorian houses filled with antiques that encompassed many different periods - a mish-mash of Georgian/Victorian/Edwardian and modern - with the occasional bit of Elizabethan thrown in for good measure. In other words, a home! I never really thought about it - just enjoyed it.

Does one have to date a piece of silver or an oak sideboard to use and enjoy it? I don't.
vonny

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 03:13 am
>>>bump<<<
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 03:54 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Where is this at (My next trip to UK and Nederland will be in 2014 ). Weve got to go see th Watts Chapel

It's quite near Guildford, in Surrey.
One of the Huxleys, Aldous Huxley I think, is buried in the graveyard there. There is a brilliant museum and workshop, now restored, just down the lane a bit, and an excellent tearoom. Nearly as good as Lola's joint.

If you feel energetic, there is a walk near there up onto the "Hog's Back" which is part of the North Downs Way, affording great views from the hilltop. Steep climb. It's part of the old Canterbury pilgrims' trail.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:09 am
@farmerman,
If you intend to go to the Chapel, you should be quite near to my neck of the woods, if you fancy a look around Hampshire.
McTag

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:11 am
@izzythepush,

We could meet up in the tearoom. Home-baked cakes.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:13 am
@McTag,
In that respect I'm just like Worzel Gummidge.

When I think of Watts I always think of our local hero Isaac.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 05:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
If you are open to admiring beauty, then you wouldnt have to pose such an obtuse statement.
"

"Beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

Bob Dylan.

There is something really ugly about the way you use things to reflect a glowing light upon yourself fm.

Quote:
The Watts chapel is an extraordinary piece of work.

for example.

The assertion uses the chapel to imply that you have extraordinary artistic taste and aesthetic judgment without the slightest effort to justify your words. The name dropper.

It's the same with "beauty" in the above quote. The chapel looks to me to be what we call a "folly". An affectation of the southern English bourgeois deriving from the income of leisured absentee owners of the industrial processes up north where the faces of the poor, and their lives, was ground to dust.

I see from Wiki that Lucinda Lambton agrees with you but she has used the same technique all her life. The gush. You use it all the time and it is reassuring that George is impressed.

It's just a pile of stones that some rich arty-farters worked on to while away their otherwise vacant time.

"The morning stars sang together".

It is asserted that the village where it is located is "lovely". Probably by estate agents.

Quote:
I love the way the Art Nouveau and the Celtic revival blend so well.

Stop tittering at the back. You're a snob fm. Face up to it.

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 05:39 am
@vonny,
Quote:

Does one have to date a piece of silver or an oak sideboard to use and enjoy it? I don't.
It helps to enjoy it even more I say. You seem to have made the distinction between Victorian and Edwardian. Same way that we in the "colonies" have our own aesthetic. Weve adopted furniture and , by several innovations in construction during the 1700's made it from woods that we have plenty of over here. We show woods like tiger maple and have secondary woods (those that dont show) of poplar or white pine. Weve adopted a n aesthetic of value and frugality with construction. Our designs are unique to us .
The primitive works of the Pa Dutch are based upon using cheap primary woods that are then painted wild colors. Such old furniture is fun and unique also. Knowing its construction and how to tell whether its real is a fundamental way of assuring value.

I disagree that, actually knowing the age of something helps one be a bit more appreciative of what defines the design and how workers thought about construction. Celebration of workmanship that is unique to the ARts and Crafts (there was a little bit in William and <MAry style). All the stuff created in the Arts and Crafts was part of an entire philosophy of life and work that was written about by Elbert Hubbard the father of the Roycrafters. The life style was kind of dystopian in my estimation (communal life and live to work bullshit), but it did produce some very unique stuff in wood, metal, ceramics, and textile (not to mention architecture).

Everything is connected and missing the connections would make me feel cheated in understanding what drove these styles.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 05:41 am
@izzythepush,
when Im setting up for the trip )its mainly business but Im gonna stay a week or more longer), I will certainly send out some messages. Id love to meet all of you UK folks, even spendi. Im gonna have to buy him a beer or two .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 05:48 am
@spendius,
Quote:

The assertion uses the chapel to imply that you have extraordinary artistic taste and aesthetic judgment without the slightest effort to justify your words. The name dropper.

You really are a sad little man spendi. Are you so jaded that you cant be bowled over by something extraordinary anymore? Ill say a prayer for you. Oh wait, I dont believe in that ****. Well youre on youre own then. Try to find something thats not so sad and gray about your life. Maybe a beer would pick you up.
spendius

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 06:26 am
@farmerman,
I gather Ellen Terry was extraordinary. Mr Watts at nearly 50 married the little vixen when she was 17 and she eloped with another bozo shortly afterwards.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 06:31 am
@farmerman,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wattschapel-4At8-0671.jpg

It would take some fancy footwork to conjure architectural significance out of that heap.
farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:26 am
@spendius,
Im so happy that McTag has been able to arouse you from in front of the TV so that you can search the web for items of interest. Now if we could only do something about your despondency . are you not able to appreciate anything? Or are you just trying to foist an attitude of "learned insensibility"? I think weve already been able to discover that you are an intellectual fake spendi.A real scholar gets excited as a school kid about the hunt for new knowledge and experience.
Why not enjoy your ignorance? It yields happy discoveries every day. Im proud of mine and I think that it results in a life filled with usefulness, joy and stimulation.
However, if you just wish to cruise to the grave in a sodden stupor, maybe someone may at least enjoy studying you. Remember, you can always represent a good example of "lazy genes".

McTag

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:35 am
@McTag,

Quote:
there is a walk near there up onto the "Hog's Back" which is part of the North Downs Way,

I misnamed that I think, I was thinking about the stretch at Box Hill.
There is some National Trust land up there which was donated by a benevolent businessman. A death duties deal if I recall the details correctly.
It's a lovely spot on a nice day, with marvellous views to the south.
McTag

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:42 am
@spendius,

Quote:
It would take some fancy footwork to conjure architectural significance out of that heap.

You are being perverse and sour as well as being stupid, Spendy.

The chapel, and the building which stands beside it, a kind of pavilion, are unique and have justly earned international acclaim, of architects as well as artists.
The photo you chose from Wiki is not representative.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:53 am
@McTag,
Certainly "unique" in the sense of 'English Art Nouveau'.

But you'll find similar in Vienna, Darmstadt, Nancy, Saint-Quentin ...
spendius

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 08:24 am
@farmerman,
If you will allow me to say so , fm, the arguments with which you have supported the extraordinary effect the extraordinary work of the Watts Chapel has had upon your sense of artistic pride are as frivolous as the assertion that the Watts Chapel is an extraordinary work ( whatever that might mean) outside of the notion, also quite frivolous, that your appreciation declares to the world the excellence of your aesthetic judgment by dint of you having declared the work "extraordinary", and by one swift hop, a skip and a jump being unnecessary to such a task, speaks commendably of your personal qualities to those sensibilities which are habituated to using the same cheapskate trick themselves.

Your prose, on top of being dire and lacking style, is overburdened with hints, nods, winks,nudges, allusions, tip-offs, scents, pointers, signs, aids, suspicions, inferences, omens, advice, innuendos, announcements and fleas-in the ears to help us all orient our approval of the excellence of your person. You do art because it is posh to do art. The only problem is that what you do is not art. Not in any way shape or form and can only possibly be construed to be art by those who wish to be thought posh, or at least superior to wankers like me, and shops selling the paintbrushes and the usual paraphernalia are ideal vehicles to their purpose.

I think about the horses that carted the bricks up the hill to where the chapel is sited. Siting it next to the brickworks would not, I think, detract from the glorification of God.

When you visit you must, simply must, tell us where "Kilroy was here" is written within the sacred precincts.

spendius

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 08:32 am
@McTag,
Quote:
I misnamed that I think, I was thinking about the stretch at Box Hill.

Isn't that a stretch where a famous Englishman piled into a tree and got killed.

Mike Hawthorne maybe. Or Patrick Hutber of Hutber's Law fame. Hutber's Law was high art.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 08:40 am
@McTag,
Quote:
The photo you chose from Wiki is not representative.

I I wished to know anything serious about you Mac I would ask for a similar shot of your abode rather than being shown over the nick-nacks and gee-gaws you have chosen to tart it up with.

What about the horses eh? Probably the older ones what with the sturdy young ones being required elsewhere. Blinkered to stop them seeing the lush clumps of grass which can often be seen by the side of country lanes. A touch of the whip if they do.

What would you estimate the weight of the structure to be? That's how Brunel would have looked at it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 08:47 am
@spendius,
Quote:

Your prose, on top of being dire and lacking style, is overburdened with hints, nods, winks,nudges, allusions, tip-offs, scents, pointers, signs, aids, suspicions, inferences, omens, advice, innuendos, announcements and fleas-in the ears to help us all orient our approval of the excellence of your person

whereas yours is mere flatulance. That way you can emit your thoughts from both ends, like an annelid.