New Study Says that Smoking Till 44 Costs ONLY 1 Year of Life!

DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, well. If we're telling anecdotes, my grandfather was a lifelong smoker up until his late 60s. In 1995 he told my grandmother that he was excited about seeing the millennium change, and then croaked a month later at 77.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:09 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
These people who make every decision based upon which one will give them the longest life are some of the biggest fools around.

As most of them will find out when they are connected up to medical machinery until all their equity is drained off.

"Men will beg God to kill them,
And they won't be able to die."

Bob Dylan. Precious Angel.

It is very interesting to listen to people on their death bed....they very often say both that they should have worked less and that they should have taken more chances. I think a lot of these long life fanatics will decide by their last breath that they fucked up. Being "responsible" at the cost the soul is the path which the idiots take.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:10 pm
@DrewDad,
That's hawk at his normal reality where he believes many things that are out of the mainstream. He can't seem to comprehend the simple truth - like smoking cigarettes and cancer.

Too late to educate - is my guess.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:13 pm
I'm all for people who smoke continuing to do so... in fact, my preference would be for them to triple the amount they're smoking....thin the herd. (except for my own loved ones who smoke of course....those people I care about)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
For anyone who finds that smoking actually raises their quality of life, I have no objection to doing so.

I just think it's hilarious to hear you talking about making a rational decision about it, and weighing the pros and cons prior starting smoking.

I really doubt that anyone thinks, "hey, I can inhale this burning vegetable matter, which will make me stink, and give me shortness of breath, and possibly make me impotent, and possibly cut years off of my life... but by golly, I'll feel good while I'm doing it. YOLO!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm not going to argue your personal views of pleasure, at least re smoking.

I smoked one to three packs a day for twenty years, and it took me a second time to quit. I quit just after turning 40 since I had by then become more interested in running (pah, I was a long length jogger) and swimming and being in the med world read the no's. The second time, it took. I was probably 35 the first time I quit cold.

Me, an allergic sort at the best of times, I learned that I liked breathing. No way I'd go back, I like breathing a great deal.

Smell has nothing to do with it for me, as I've always had an extremely diminished sense of that and of others' repulsion, which to me were simply words.

As someone who rarely can smell, including in a stockyard, I mark out what others do, but that includes a lot of things to pay attention to that I personally don't notice.

Some of us have been around copd and some of us here on a2k have it (not me at this time) - my first time with a patient at the office where I was an aide after classes in college - and started to recognize it, but by the time I do recognize it, it is already in progress.

Pleasure is air.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:31 pm
@ossobuco,
So smoking will likely cost you next to no life. But what if it cost you 10 years, would that have been so bad??? You already don't have the money to do many many of the things that bring you joy, would 20 years of doing this be any worse than 30, maybe it would even be a blessing. Having tasted the good life but no longer being able to have it really sucks bad. Most boomers are going to run out of money long before their bodies give out, I don't envy them. I think many will feel swindled as they take their last breath...will have decided that they listened to the wrong people.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
You aren't the only one - many people apparently don't get any joy (now I am beginning to understand that brit term, 'get any joy', but not in their detective mystery way) from the world around them.

I have beauty in my life. Even if I lose my eyes (no, not imminent, at least that I know) I will retain beauty in my brain catalog.

I have liked exploring. I have joy in what I have seen in microscopes, and my back porch.
You are the one sans clue.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 04:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Breathing air and seeing what is around you in all it's beauty and horrors makes you think it would be good to kick out in body failure quite soon.

You are a piece of work.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 06:14 pm
The period during which most of the statistics were compiled was one where industrial activity was correlated with smoking.

When people in their sixties died of lung diseases it was thought better to blame it on their personal habits rather than on the industrial conditions they had been exposed to which was a governmental responsibility. Someone, 40 years down the mines, died after a short illness, and if he smoked. ladies were not allowed down mines, his death was listed as "smoking related".

And they were cheated. Because they died before, or shortly after, the end of their working life they cost less money, or a smaller charge on the young, than did those who had easier and cleaner jobs and they were required to pay the same level of premium on insurance. Sometimes more.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 06:22 pm
@spendius,
I take it you are well used to phlelgm.
spendius

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 05:05 am
@ossobuco,
Not really. I can spell it though.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 07:01 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I think many will feel swindled as they take their last breath...will have decided that they listened to the wrong people.

I'm sure many people die with regrets. I can't say I will be free of them and at peace with the decisions I've made, but I'm sure that I won't be on my deathbed thinking I should have taken up smoking.
spendius

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 08:53 am
@engineer,
I could think of circumstances in which you might not be so sure.
0 Replies