Does "carry into an uncertain future that precious light of freedom" mean ...?

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 01:57 am
Does "carry into an uncertain future that precious light of freedom" mean "carry that precious light of freedom into an uncertain future"?

Context:
Let us, each of us, now embrace with solemn duty and awesome joy what is our lasting birthright. With common effort and common purpose, with passion and dedication, let us answer the call of history and carry into an uncertain future that precious light of freedom.

Thank you. God bless you, and may He forever bless these United States of America. (Applause.)

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 12:19 pm
@oristarA,
Yes

However the former might be considered by many as more compelling

Quote:
Thank you.
Not at all

Quote:
God bless you,…..
But God doesn't believe that I exist
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 02:10 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Does "carry into an uncertain future that precious light of freedom" mean "carry that precious light of freedom into an uncertain future"?

yes - but it's a more poetic way of phrasing
JTT

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:16 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
With common effort and common purpose, with passion and dedication, let us answer the call of history and carry into an uncertain future that precious light of freedom.

This is, of course, balderdash, baloney (also boloney), beans, bilge, blah (also blah-blah), blarney, blather, blatherskite, blither, bosh, bull [slang], bunk, bunkum (or buncombe), claptrap, nonsense [British], crapola [slang], crock, drivel, drool, fiddle, fiddle-faddle, fiddlesticks, flannel [British], flapdoodle, folderol (also falderal), folly, foolishness, fudge, garbage, guff, hogwash, hokeypokey, hokum, hoodoo, hooey, horsefeathers [slang], humbug, humbuggery, jazz, malarkey (also malarky), moonshine, muck, nerts [slang], nuts, piffle, poppycock, punk, rot, rubbish, senselessness, silliness, slush, stupidity, taradiddle (or tarradiddle), tommyrot, tosh, trash, trumpery, twaddle, not to mention codswollap.
oristarA

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 11:12 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
With common effort and common purpose, with passion and dedication, let us answer the call of history and carry into an uncertain future that precious light of freedom.

This is, of course, balderdash, baloney (also boloney), beans, bilge, blah (also blah-blah), blarney, blather, blatherskite, blither, bosh, bull [slang], bunk, bunkum (or buncombe), claptrap, nonsense [British], crapola [slang], crock, drivel, drool, fiddle, fiddle-faddle, fiddlesticks, flannel [British], flapdoodle, folderol (also falderal), folly, foolishness, fudge, garbage, guff, hogwash, hokeypokey, hokum, hoodoo, hooey, horsefeathers [slang], humbug, humbuggery, jazz, malarkey (also malarky), moonshine, muck, nerts [slang], nuts, piffle, poppycock, punk, rot, rubbish, senselessness, silliness, slush, stupidity, taradiddle (or tarradiddle), tommyrot, tosh, trash, trumpery, twaddle, not to mention codswollap.

Ah, JTT, your rant is impressive. Yet it is hard to remember.
Allow me venture to make what you've intended to speak easy to bear in mind:

With common effort and common purpose, with passion and dedication, let us answer the call of history and carry into an uncertain future that precious light of authority. (NOTE: JTT is the authority)

trying2learn

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 01:34 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
let us answer the call of history
I am stuck on this part because I don't know what this means?
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 04:41 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
(NOTE: JTT is the authority)

No, Ori, I'm not. The facts, the truth is the authority. Note that no one disputes the facts. Obama was flat out lying.

But do consider the opportunity you have been presented to learn all those words with such a rich and full context.

oristarA

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 06:19 am
@JTT,
Yes, I'll learn the words. Thanks.

Here is a staring contest: JTT vs. Obama
Who will blink first?
oristarA

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 06:22 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

oristarA wrote:
let us answer the call of history
I am stuck on this part because I don't know what this means?

Look at the big picture of life: Change is happening throughout the world.
It is the call of history. Any one who's young in spirit will answer the call.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 07:59 pm
@oristarA,
Obama of course. He knows in his heart that he is a terrorist and a war criminal.
oristarA

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:24 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Obama of course. He knows in his heart that he is a terrorist and a war criminal.

Well, the problem is: Any of Obama's opinions is well-worded, especially so of his political views. While you, JTT, have never explicitly expressed your political ideas (I have been trying to guess whether you support communism or feudalism). Simply bombarding on other's political standing is easy, but it doesn't reflect the very thought about politics in your heart. The true ideas must be constructive - take learning English for an instance, it is not proper to say "wrong! wrong!" when you read a question put by a learner. You'd give him/her an explanation of why it is wrong and which expressions are correct (Of course you know this very well.)
spendius

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:40 am
@JTT,
Quote:
But do consider the opportunity you have been presented to learn all those words with such a rich and full context.

No need to learn them. Any thesaurus will suffice.

I do agree however that each entry is a reasonable characterisation of the statement under discussion in both variations.

I would have included "laughable".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 06:07 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
While you, JTT, have never explicitly expressed your political ideas (I have been trying to guess whether you support communism or feudalism).

That's a red herring, Ori. It matters not at all what my political beliefs are anymore than it matters whether I take my tea black or loaded with cream and sugar.

Obama is covering up horrendous terrorist acts and myriad crimes against humanity with his doublespeak, his codswallop, bullshit, ... .
JTT

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 06:14 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
yes - but it's a more poetic way of phrasing

You mean, a more poetic way of lying his ass off, Beth.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 07:30 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
While you, JTT, have never explicitly expressed your political ideas (I have been trying to guess whether you support communism or feudalism).

That's a red herring, Ori. It matters not at all what my political beliefs are anymore than it matters whether I take my tea black or loaded with cream and sugar.

Obama is covering up horrendous terrorist acts and myriad crimes against humanity with his doublespeak, his codswallop, bullshit, ... .

1) Evidence?
2) What do you say when comparing to Mao?
Mao's Great Leap Forward 'killed 45 million in four years':

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/maos-great-leap-forward-killed-45-million-in-four-years-2081630.html
JTT

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:26 am
@oristarA,
And the US never lets anyone forget about these other crimes against humanity, Ori. But there's never any mention of their own.

The difference between the crimes of Mao and the US, not to downplay Mao's crimes, is that those were against his own people. The US brutalizes and terrorizes poor people the world over. The US steals the wealth from the poor the world over.

Another major difference is that we, at least in the west, don't hear the Chinese constantly bleating about what great humanitarians they are. The US has been propagating this line of crapola since its beginnings and it's all one huge lie.

Quote:
1) Evidence?

Surely, you jest, Ori.
oristarA

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 04:51 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

And the US never lets anyone forget about these other crimes against humanity, Ori. But there's never any mention of their own.

Facts speak louder than eloquence:

My Lai Massacre

Independent investigative journalist Seymour Hersh, after extensive conversations with Calley, broke the My Lai story on November 12, 1969, on the Associated Press wire service;[43] on November 20, Time, Life and Newsweek magazines all covered the story, and CBS televised an interview with Paul Meadlo, a soldier in Calley's unit during the massacre. The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio) published explicit photographs of dead villagers killed at M? Lai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre#Reporting.2C_cover-up_and_investigations

Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse#Media_coverage

America has one of the best forms of freedom of the press.
oristarA

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 04:59 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

The difference between the crimes of Mao and the US, not to downplay Mao's crimes, is that those were against his own people. The US brutalizes and terrorizes poor people the world over. The US steals the wealth from the poor the world over.

If My Lai massacre is true, it is reasonable to think that some of American people have violated the principle of reciprocity and,even worse.

But here is an example that the poor around the world steals the wealth from the United States:

More than 90% of computer operating system (Windows) in developing countries (including Russia) are pirate versions. Bill Gates said once that he would have a way to collect the money back...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 08:37 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

There were numerous MyLais, Ori, and the US press and the Pentagon buried them. When I have more time, I'll show you.

But this phoniness about a free press doesn't absolve the unrelenting war crimes and terrorism.
oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:47 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

There were numerous MyLais, Ori, and the US press and the Pentagon buried them. When I have more time, I'll show you.

But this phoniness about a free press doesn't absolve the unrelenting war crimes and terrorism.

Well, Take time. I'm waiting for you.