Curious cat

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:09 am
My new cat, Ketty, is a curious, friendly, little puss, but she loves to go into other people's apartments. Fine, if they invite her in, but my next-door neighbor isn't all that fond of felines and I think her patience with Ketty' s intrusions is wearing a bit thin. My neighbor the other side also has a cat but she's older and more staid; I don't know if she wanders in, but unlike Ketty she can be picked up. Ketty dislikes being picked up, so it's difficult to corral her. I don't let Ketty out unless I'm with her, but if Isabel opens her door (at very close right angle to mine) - well, Ketty is quicker than I am.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:35 am
@Tomkitten,
Tomkitten wrote:
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Stop letting the cat out.
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:35 am
So what, you leave your door standing open? The neighbor leaves her door standing open? If you live in separate apartments, i don't see how this can happen without negligence on someone's part.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 02:51 pm
@Tomkitten,
What the other two posters have said. Who the hell allows a pet cat to roam the hallways of an apartment building? That's just irresponsible.
Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:00 pm
I used to have a cat that loved to roam the halls. I let her out late at night when neighbors' doors were usually shut.

On a number of occasions, she escaped. This most often happened when I was coming in carrying something (groceries, luggage, etc.). Sometimes I noticed she got out, and sometimes I didn't.

She eventually managed to get into most of my neighbors' apartments. Some liked it. Some didn't.

It got to the point where I would look for her, either in the hall or in my apartment, before I settled in. This became a habit. It had to. I didn't want to upset the neighbors.

BTW, some of my neighbors liked her visits so much that they invited her over.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Wait a minute.

I doubt tomkitten means to be irresponsible. But - I didn't understand the original post, so I didn't respond.

Tomkitten lives in, if I remember, senior housing. I am pretty sure her cat means a lot to her, and that she is ok with other people's cats. She made many early posts dealing with her husband's illness, hard to make posts, and re certain question on computer use.

I am not clear on how that doorway situation works.. TomK. Perhaps there is an intermediate foyer type hallway.

Give a long time poster (or any poster) a chance before the slammo starts up at her as some kind of insensitive person.

Cripes.
Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

What the other two posters have said. Who the hell allows a pet cat to roam the hallways of an apartment building? That's just irresponsible.

Call me irresponsible. Call me unreliable. Call me undependable too.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:22 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

Call me irresponsible. Call me unreliable. Call me undependable too.

Okay. And I promise not to call you late for breakfast.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:24 pm
@Tomkitten,
Can you tell us exactly how she gets out?

Mine used to rush the door when I got home or was leaving and my boy cat, especially, was so fast that, no matter how quick I was, he sometimes got past me, so I can well understand this could be happening to you. My neighbours kept their doors closed though, so we could sometimes have fun playing chasey up and down the halls.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:27 pm
@Roberta,
I once found a neighbour'sBurmese frantically running up and down the hall, desperate to get back inside her owner's apartment, I knew where she belonged fortunately. She must have escaped so fast the neighbour didn't notice.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Well said Osso.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:50 pm
I believe tomkitten lives in some sort of assisted living facility. It is quite a bit different than the usual apartment complex.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:52 pm
@roger,
Do read back.

I'll add that I remember tomkitten as sharp.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Give it a break, huh?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:57 pm
@roger,
What a break? People are treating her negatively. And now you show up, understanding and tell me to give it a break. Pfffft.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 04:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Just sounds like you're being very critical of someone who agrees with you. I should learn not to speak after you've posted.

"Read up" Pffft.
Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 06:47 pm
Rolls eyes.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 07:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
I do live in a senior village (not assisted living, BTW). I don't leave my door open, but Ketty is fast and slim and can slip through lickety-split. The Security Desk is aware of her existence - pets have to be registered here. My neighbor's front door is on the side of a long corridor and mine is next, at the end of the corridor; it's no effort at all for her slip out my door and into Isabel's and we often come and go at the same time. I am always with Ketty; she doesn't "roam the halls", but she does like to go out.
Thanks, OssoBuco for your kind defense!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 08:05 pm
I have a biggish dog and she is slick on getting out the door fast, to our back yard.
0 Replies