Curious cat

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 08:07 pm
@Tomkitten,
Would it be possible for you to get Ketty used to living with a collar and/or harness on? It might be easier to grab/corral her if she had some kind of handle.

Our female dog is blind. As a result she is particularly nervous about being grabbed - and sometimes you do need to grab her as she tries to walk off the edge of the back stoop. I found that when it was particularly cold about a month ago and she had a vest on (her fur is getting a bit thinner with advanced age), I could sort of guide her by way of the vest which prevented a lot of distress for both of us. The vest worked as a type of steering handle.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 08:13 pm
Our new cat Smokey was an indoors-outdoor cat when we found him; we waited about a month before letting him outside after we moved to the new house. I heard one neighbor cussing because a cat went into his garden, after that we keep Smokey inside, I was afraid someone might try to hurt him, people can be cruel.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:03 pm
@Tomkitten,
Hi TomKitten,
You have the name of one of my favorite Beatrix Potter characters. A neighbor had a kitten that loved to dash into the hall. One day I opened my door and in ran Fluff. My cat Apricot was not amused, and went at him hissing and growling, an avatar for "spitting mad". Fluff never ventured out of his apartment after that encounter. Perhaps you could arrange a small traumatic experience for Ketty.. joking.

She sounds like an energetic and determined critter, and I have a feeling you'll just have to be vigilant as to her whereabouts when you open your door. When you go out you might try a quick spritz from a spray bottle to move her away from the door. When you come home try giving the door a hard knock with an empty plastic bottle before you enter. And take care not to trip when Ketty is underfoot.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:25 pm
I've thought of a harness or a collar and leash, but neither the vet nor I think she would take kindly to those restraints. I was hoping to find some sort of invisible barrier - a spray or liquid application imperceptible to people but unappetizing to cats. I have to consider Isabel after all. Keeping Ketty inside is tricky because she moves so darn fast.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:33 pm
@Tomkitten,
Tomkitten wrote:
Keeping Ketty inside is tricky because she moves so darn fast.

Given that you live in a community with a number of other seniors, you really need to protect them and Ketty from each other. A fast- moving cat and less-fast-moving seniors can be a recipe for true disaster.

She may not like the idea of a collar or harness, but that may be a requirement for her continuing to live with you.

Young animals and senior humans are a tricky mix.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 11:25 pm
@Tomkitten,
This isn't rocket surgery. Although the cat is quick and agile, you are big and smart. You need to use those traits to your advantage.

First, stop opening your door when your neighbor opens her door. Really, if the biggest problem is that your cat scoots into your neighbor's apartment, the easiest solution is to make sure that both doors aren't open at the same time. If her door is open, don't open yours. If your door is open, close it as soon as your neighbor opens hers. I'm not sure why this is a constant problem for you, but the solution seems pretty obvious to me.

Second, if you don't want your cat to run out into the hallway every time you open the door, then you have to train your cat to stop running out. Despite the popular conception, cats can be trained. You just need to associate running out of the apartment with something that the cat doesn't like. For instance, next time you open the door, take a squirt gun with you and squirt the cat if it tries to make an escape. Keep doing this every time you open the door, and pretty soon the cat will be running in the opposite direction.

That's a fairly drastic remedy, as your cat will soon associate your entrance -- which should be a happy event -- with a negative reinforcement. You can mitigate that with giving the cat treats every time it stays put and doesn't make a run for freedom. But this seems to be a major issue for you, and so you need to take steps to alter your cat's behavior. Like I said before, it's easier just to alter the humans' behavior, but that appears to be some kind of insurmountable obstacle.
Tomkitten

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 12:42 pm
@joefromchicago,
Well, the basic problem is the architecture - I have no way of knowing if my neighbor's door is open unless I open mine.

You're right about the squirt gun - it is pretty drastic and I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 01:08 pm
@Tomkitten,
Do you have more than one room in your unit?

If you are unable to determine if your neighbour's door is open til you open yours, you'll have to keep Kettie in another room or in a crate until you're sure your neighbour's door is not open.
Tomkitten

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, there's plenty of space for her to run around, lots of furniture for her to climb on, lots of toys for her to chase. It's just that she loves to sniff under the doors of other apartments, and check out the interiors if she can - curious as a cat, right?
We have an appointment with the vet and I'll ask her. Maybe she knows of a spray or something that would turn Ketty away from Isabel's apt.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:40 pm
@Tomkitten,
Tomkitten wrote:
It's just that she loves to sniff under the doors of other apartments, and check out the interiors if she can - curious as a cat, right?

I guess you'll have to develop some other interests for Ketty. It's not fair to other residents to have a cat underfoot unexpectedly.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:41 pm
How about when you open your door, you open just a crack, like 1/2 an inch, so you can look out and see if the other door is open....maybe an inch.

When Ketty makes for this 1/2 inch, inch crack, you can push her away with you foot while clapping your hands or rattling something like pebbles in a can to startle her and have her start to associate the unpleasant noise with the door opening. It wouldn't take too long for Ketty to stop trying to get out, but you have to be consistent.

Every single one of my cats have been indoor cats. Cats are very adaptable, and will learn to love not leaving your home if that's what they get used to.

My 2 boys look aghast at the door when it opens, like "Hurry up and close that thing before something gets in here." Not scared, just no interest in what is out there, unless they can look at it through the magic window.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:48 pm
@Tomkitten,
Tomkitten wrote:

Well, the basic problem is the architecture

I really have to disagree here.

I think the basic problem is that you don't seem to recognize that your neighbours' safety and preferences are much more important than what appeals to Ketty.

A cat roaming in hallways where there are seniors just isn't a good idea.

So whether that means using a spray bottle, or using a collar/leash/harness, or crating the cat - you need to come to terms with the reality that Ketty has to stay in your unit unless you carry her to someone else's unit or take her there on a leash.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:50 pm
@joefromchicago,
the first response on the thread really covered it

joefromchicago wrote:

Tomkitten wrote:
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Stop letting the cat out.
chai2

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 09:03 pm
@ehBeth,
yeah, but tom kitten apparently has a problem in opening the door a small enough amount that the cat can't get through, then sailing it's ass in the other direction whilst ducking out the door. It just takes an instep under the belly, some lift and Ketty is airborne in a non violent fashion.

this reminds me of a roommate of mine that worked the 3 to 11 shift at the hospital, got home around midnight, and night after night after night would wake me up when she'd close the door with that middle of the night loud "SNICK" when closing the door.

I actually had to show this college graduate how to turn the doorknob so the mechanism retracted, silently close the door, then quietly release the knob so she could get her ass in the front door without waking me up.

She had a problem not slamming cupboard doors too.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 03:06 am
@Tomkitten,
As far as I know there's not likely to be a repellent or "stop" spray, though asking the vet is a great idea.

I suggest

1. you get a spy hole in your door if that allows you to see your neighbour's door so you can avoid opening your door from inside when her door is open

2. I agree that cats love a frolic in the corridor....but you cant keep letting your cat go into people's places uninvited. I used to let mine have a wander and play chasey with them at times when I was 99% certain no doors would be open. If you can't do this you really have to get your cat used to a harness and leash. You may need to move slowly on this, but most cats get used to it. Mine have mostly been happy to go for walks to different degrees. Or keep puss inside and ensure there's lots of enrichment in there.

3. I'm sorry, but unless the vet has a magic solution, I think you may need to use an aversion method to train your cat not to rush out the door. I really don't think it's a major deal. You can use a spray bottle, or a noise maker, or compressed air or suchlike...the vet may have ideas. Also, there are places like catforum.com which, amongst the rawther odd, has lots of great training advice. Or look online or get a book.

If your cat trips someone or if there is a serious complaint there may be serious consequences.

I know it can be difficult but I think you may need to to take the issue seriously and make some real effort.
Tomkitten

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 08:40 am
@dlowan,
I really never thought about the tripping people up possibility, Many of our 400 or so residents have cats; I wonder if I'm the only oblivious one. People here can bring pets, but once a pet is gone it depends on the type of animal - whether it can be replaced or whether someone can acquire a pet while living here. New dogs are a no-no, but new cats are permitted

I have a spy hole but it can't see her door at that angle.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 10:12 am
@Tomkitten,
Cats are always underfoot. As ehBeth points out, that's a serious hazard for seniors. All responsible pet owners must take whatever steps necessary to make sure their pets are not a danger or nuisance to others.
Tomkitten

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 12:39 pm
@joefromchicago,
I think this topic is pretty well played out. so thanks to everyone who had helpful suggestions.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 12:44 pm
@Tomkitten,
Tomkitten wrote:

I really never thought about the tripping people up possibility...

That would make a great Who done it murder mystery. Much hated billionaire real estate tycoon found after he's falling 55 stories to his death. The police suspect foul play! So many death threats against the tycoon's past and there apparently has been a struggle inside the condo prior to the tycoon's mysterious death.

The fight between the tycoon and his jilted ex-lover is in fact a red herring. After the ex-lover leaves, the tycoon goes outside onto his penthouse balcony to drink a fifth of Bourbon. He accidentally trips on a neighbor's wandering cat and tumbles over railing.

At the end of the book, Det. McGruff catches the cat and the cat is convicted of second degree murder as it seems the tycoon was blackmailing the cat all along. Det. McGruff feels guilty about the conviction because he knows his inherent prejudice against cats blinded him to the fact it was actually an accident. Det. McGruff shoots himself in the end.
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 07:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Det. McGruff shoots himself in the end.

McGruff shoots himself in the ass?