NYC in May!

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 08:31 am
@Mame,
We'll do it again sometime...and plan it so we don't have to shut down so early.

Joe(time flew by)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 11:59 am
@Mame,
Isn't Frank charming? A really good guy who knows how to be a friend.
And let's not forget Thomas,,someone with whom I share the quest of the road, who came late, and barely got to eat....luckily there was pie!
(Thanks, Tsar!)
Damn, I forgot to ask Tsar how the running was going?

You yourself, Mame, continue to amaze me with your wit and sharp eye and sharp tongue. HA. You have to come back soon. This city needs more people like you.

And talk about charming, Eva's sister, K, (you could tell they were sisters, right? ) she brought a whole new Northwest corner of the USA perspective to the talk last night and the night before. She plays more instruments than I have fingers and knows as much about modern Irish folk music as anyone I've ever met.
The other mystery guest is S, Mame's friend from Calgary,who has a great life story, a great sense of where she'd like to be in the future and a wonderful ability to put up with my antics. And she is so cute. So, what's not to like?

Lastly, it's been so good to see Eva. Did you know we've been friends for almost 25 years? And, we haven't laid eyes on each other (except in pictures) for the past eighteen ? We've somehow both done our best to the be the best friend one can be for each other though separated by miles and miles of miles and miles. She's been a steady rock of support for me. It's been wonderful to re-connect across a table rather than through some electronic gee-gaw. I know she's having the best time here in New York and I know will fill us all in when she's gathered up her notes.

Okay, that's it. The rain is gone. I have to go run off the calories I consumed last night.

Joe (how many calories in two bottles of wine and...chocolate pie? )Nation

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
Now there's a picture I'm going to save. Some of my all time favorite people, including the guy behind the camera (Tsary, you're looking handsome). And is that the famous Nancy? and Mame's sister? friend? (not that that's my beeswax).

Ok, enough of that, whadja have to eat?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
Mame, with the fast and sharp tongue, mistress of rogue wit who is also kind. Eva, long a friend, beautiful and wise. Tsar, good man; we share many many interests, I always read what he says. Frank, whom I admire and gave up arguing with as he outlasts me. Feel like I've known him forever but we haven't met, though we somehow shared a restaurant years apart - Pierre au Tunnel. JoeNation, man I love (don't worry, I'm too old). Thomas, food thief extraordinaire, and friend. All, up on the roof..
Mame

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Sheila is the blonde in the first pics, this waa Shelley from Calgary.

It's pouring out so we may stay home... Depends on the thunder which it's doing now.
Mame

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Meh, I take exception to the sharp tongue... I just enjoy teasing ppl. Otherwise you have it right. Tsar is a sweetie, Thomas (when he's not undressing in public - ack!) is a sweetie, frank is absolutely delish and charming, eva is a doll, as is her sis, and Roberta should have been there. Missed her!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:55 pm
@Mame,
Yeh, but now I'm convinced the woman right next to you is Eva's sister, eh? And Shelley is next to Frank, eh?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Not sharp as in nasty, sharp as in quick and bright.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 01:28 pm
good looking bunch!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 03:56 pm
@Mame,
I didn't mean you were mean....I meant that you are fast with a comeback.

Joe(and you are)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 04:30 pm
Mame: We're going Thai..... Pad Thai in Chelsea (114 8TH Ave//Cross street is 16th Street.

Take the A to 14th Street, sit near the front of the train, when you come up the stairs you'll be about at 16th Street. 8PM ~~yummy..
Eva

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 04:41 pm
@Joe Nation,
Yes! Yes! PLEASE join us...I know it's short notice, but we just decided!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 04:46 pm
@Joe Nation,
So loved seeing this photo.

The Tsar is obviously an elegant and stylish sommelier, toasting us all from behind 5 bottles of wine (there must have been more!).

Just great seeing everyone.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 12:45 am
Thai food then hopped a cab across town to Paddy Reilly's for Irish Music and Hard Shoe Dancing with Eva and her sister, K.

K got to sit in with the band for a number before we left. :-)

Just got home . Yes. It's 2:30 AM.

Joe(what a life)Nation
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 11:46 am
@Joe Nation,
Youse guys are craaazy! Shocked
Eva

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 02:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, no, it was interesting! Very authentic. K is a fairly accomplished Celtic musician, among her many talents. She was thrilled to get to play accordion with the Irish group. It will probably turn out to be the highlight of her trip. I really cannot thank Joe enough for taking us! {smooches}
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 02:50 pm
@Eva,
Eva, I just realized that you all got (get?) to see the Met's (seems great to me) re do and enlargement of the european painting section. Ok, now I'm sick with envy.
Eva

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:17 pm
@ossobuco,
We've been one day, saw the Egyptian, American, and Medieval galleries and the shop (of course.) We'll probably go again tomorrow to see the European painting, Ancient Greek & Roman, and whatever else we have time for.

It rained most of today, but we took the downtown bus tour anyway. Saw a bunch of areas we'd like to check out if/when we return. This is a place that deserves multiple visits.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:41 pm
@Eva,
There's an article in today's NYTimes re the big increase in space and number of paintings. (I don't have any more clicks to nyt this month to grab a link for you).
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 04:54 pm
@ossobuco,
New Yorker guy enthused too -
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/05/met-new-european-gallery-reviewed.html

Not to push you to read these links - I tend to like art as a surprise myself, but just in case..
0 Replies