How to treat lack of education on a resume?

husker

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:07 pm
Might be helpful in the appropriate places to include things like "worked with over $X amount of imported items"
"Supervised X number of people"

Quantifying what you are or were responsible for could be a plus to put some weight behind your positions and duties
0 Replies

husker

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:11 pm
I'm mildly concerned about titles like Director and Manager when you are applying for less than that title and for that - it's critical to have a strategic approach
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
The money might be a good thing, I handle several million of inventory.

But in terms of people it's would reveal the dark secret. I manage myself, it's a small business that had a maximum of 7 employees. ;-)

There are others, but they are all third party.
0 Replies

husker

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:22 pm
I thought about that dark secret - well I assumed it Wink - lemme think on a work-around idea. MY show your info to my IT manager buddy for ideas
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:30 pm
Craven - the resume is to go with a specific job application, or as a general document???

If it is a very specific job application would you go into more detail?

Here, (and my take may be absolutely useless, as I am always going for senior stuff in my profession - and in a different country), I would be expected to go into much more detail about the specifics of everything I did - ie expand on exactly what each of those things entailed,- and how they show I have the skills for a particular position - ie I have to demonstrate how I have demonstrated each skill in the job specification. (My job applications have to be pages and pages long though - I gather this is not the case in your field)

Is "live" interpreter redundant? Prolly not, I suppose - since lots of folk don't know the difference between interpreting and translation.

Would it be wise to say a little more about the nature of some of the things you have done - like how big the school intranet was - the size etc of some of the companies you translated and interpreted and such for? Your experience in dealing with international businesses? More about the extent of A2k? Like how fast it has grown and the skills it demonstrates?

Like I said - I may be way off beam, cos I am expected to give so much detail - and I think the folk with experience in your area are saying short and snappy - but I think you COULD show how much you have achieved with a bit more detail, if you SHOULD show it....you
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:38 pm
dlowan wrote:
Craven - the resume is to go with a specific job application, or as a general document???

General. I can't be picky right now.

Quote:
If it is a very specific job application would you go into more detail?

I've been getting lots of advise to keep it short. That is pretty much one page with the contact info and such.

Quote:
Is "live" interpreter redundant? Prolly not, I suppose - since lots of folk don't know the difference between interpreting and translation.

IMO, people won't immediately grasp the implication of "live" either. The point I'm trying to convey is that without any delay, and in under the pressures involved live interpretation is a far far more difficult skill to manage than the others. I could do it from Portuguese to English but not from English to Portuguese (at least not with the same quality) for example.

Quote:
Would it be wise to say a little more about the nature of some of the things you have done - like how big the school intranet was - the size etc of some of the companies you translated and interpreted and such for? Your experience in dealing with international businesses? More about the extent of A2k? Like how fast it has grown and the skills it demonstrates?

Dunno, maybe if a 2 page resume is acceptable I can do this. As it stands I cut a lot to keep it down to one document. I might redo teh layout to fit more on one page though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:41 pm
Ok - yes, the live thing was one of the points I thought you might expand, if poss - cos of the pressure and the crucial nature of accuracy re content and nuance.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:54 pm
Craven, just lie your ass off. To my knowledge; my resume has never been verified... and I've hired over a 100 people without checking theirs. Your education is far less important than your experience, which in turn is far less important than how you behave during the interview. The sole purpose of a resume for most employers is to weed out idiots. You are not one and that will be evident during the interview. If you feel bad about it; wait until you've proven yourself and then slip it in a conversation after an addaboy. He will not care.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:57 pm
Lots of people tell me that. Given the intra-national experience most would be hard to check anyway.

But I hear the horror stories of losing jobs years afterwards because of it and it worries me. I'd not want it hanging over my head years after I am employed.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:04 pm
I honestly can't see you working for anyone "years afterwards". And like I said; once you've proven yourself you can come clean, and it is highly unlikely they'll give a damn, as long as your good at what you do.
0 Replies

roverroad

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:05 pm
I don't know how ethical it would be, but if you have a GED why don't you just put diploma? Most jobs won't check and I've never had a job ask for a copy of my diploma.

All I have is a high school diploma. and that does make it hard to find a good job. In the technical field everybody wants a degree now.

But experience does count. I my education section of my resume I listed all of the areas that I was self taught in. Like Computers, self taught. It's almost as good as listing a computer trade school if you can back it up in the interview.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:08 pm
There's no need to lie. Plenty of decent material to work with there. I've sent back the first tear-down, Craven. It's kinda like working on a car. You've got to take it apart to put it back together in a more functional way.
I can already see the bones of a really strong resume. <nods>
0 Replies

Camille

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:22 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Lots of people tell me that. Given the intra-national experience most would be hard to check anyway.

But I hear the horror stories of losing jobs years afterwards because of it and it worries me. I'd not want it hanging over my head years after I am employed.

I wouldn't lie, just enhance the truth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:04 pm
Ooops! Didn't see the bullets. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:09 pm
I agree; never lie on your resume. Many people have lost good jobs, because of one small lie on their resume. I also used to check all references on a resume, before I called in the applicant for an interview.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:28 pm
I thought it read well and rather like the shortness. I didn't think it was all so short, actually. I who am primed to look about education because of the this thread was absorbed in just reading.

You'd get an interview with me (it wasn't braggy, was concise, indicated competence) but then I am not an IT person.

My only quibble is I like to see indents stay indented, am vaguely uncomfortable when the second line of an indent doesn't line up with the first. But - I have trouble making our many paged killer-specifications done on Word or Works obey me that way. This preference is probably particular to me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:48 pm
Other than my agreement with osso on indentation, it's an excellent resume. I'm not sure any more tweaking on content is necessary.
0 Replies

roverroad

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:52 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I agree; never lie on your resume. Many people have lost good jobs, because of one small lie on their resume. I also used to check all references on a resume, before I called in the applicant for an interview.

Woops, I said the wrong thing here :wink: I've never lied on a resume, but a GED is supposed to be just as good as a diploma so what's the diference. Anyway the resume does look good. Don't listen to my bad advice. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:56 pm
I'll have to disagree with c.i. and ossoB about the style of the resume. It's old-fashioned, and Craven is looking to move to a field that needs something more current.

roverroad - there's absolutely nothing wrong with a GED. If a resume is carefully set up, it can even be nicely id'd as such.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:07 pm
Re: lying -- don't. Spin, spin away, the spinning itself is a job skill and I have admired skillfully spun resumes even when the ingredients aren't that impressive. But spin within the parameters of truth.
0 Replies