How to treat lack of education on a resume?

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 06:35 pm
Ok, as most people here know I have no education. Not even a high school diploma.

I have a GED, dunno if that's a downside.

On most resumes high school level is ignored completely. But I made my resume and I'm not sure what to put on it.

I don't want to put "GED" as the primary part. If I can get a secure job I'll be able to buy a POS car and go to school.

So I was thinking about putting "enrolling in..." or somesuch.

This is the weakest part of my resumé, experience and skills looks ok but the education part looks downright lame.

How would you treat educational deficiency on a resume?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,038 • Replies: 143
Topic Closed
No top replies

Acquiunk

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 06:50 pm
be honest and if/when asked explain you have an unusual background. In your field, because things are changing so rapidly, I suspect experience would trump eduction in any case.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 06:53 pm
How about "Home Schooled". The blank is filled--and you've given the interviewer a Question to Ask.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:07 pm
Legally, a GED is equivalent to a high school diploma. I (again) agree with Acquiunk about being honest about your background. You can use your background in a positive way, showing how you overcame extreme hardships through your own wits and intelligence, and became very knowlegable about designing websites on your own.

You have designed, developed and administered a website with over 10,000 members. I think that will impress a lot of people as to the "stuff" of which you are made.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:13 pm
Oh, I can put home school or somesuch but I'm wondering how to treat the college level part.

Do I say I "plan to enroll" or "am enrolling" or what?

I can't even consider enrolling till I get the job that this resume is supposed to help me get. That's the catch 22 I'm dealing with.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
Do you already have a program or course in mind to enrol in?
That would, somewhat, effect the answer I'd give about whether or not to note it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:18 pm
I'm a big fan of getting a resume professionally done, no matter how well of a writer someone is. They'll know how to word things, and what to put.

My opinion, I would just leave the "education" part out of the resume, leave it blank. You couldl also list some way, you are a college student(they're not going to ask for proof if you're taking a class or not) working on your degree. Since lying isn't a smart idea however, I'd probably just leave it blank for now.

Or you could put down what I saw some kid had painted across the windshield of his Hyundai yesterday, "School of Hard Knocks." That would go over well.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:19 pm
I'm leaning toward computer science. I don't know how I'd pay for tuition or anything but that's what I want to shoot for.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:22 pm
If you're lucky, maybe you'll get into a company that reimburses for classes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:42 pm
Slappy, what's a ballpark figure for resume work?

Oddly enough, I used to write them a lot when working as a translator. Never had to do one for someone without education though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:59 pm
I always like the concept of "alternative education track that afforded me opportunities to travel and absorb art , culture, history , and science from many parts of the world" this of course , left you deficient in specific course requirements required by individual jurisdictions. To acquire the necessary requirements for graduation, you, in _______time, obtained a GED certificate, This certificate does not, as you can agree, even slightly pronounce your overall qualifications and masteries that youve been able to absorb by your early life travel.

I do agree that telling the truth is the only way, but , come on, with your language skills, you should not present a GED as a lesser alternative . In your case, and with your circumstances, it can actually be an asset. after all. how else can you travel all over and still acquire an education as youve done.
0 Replies

hamburger

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 08:15 pm
as slappy doo hoo already said, you should probably not mention formal education in your resume. just last week read an advice column on jobfinding and resume. the writer suggests "to get your strengths across at the beginning" and don't dwell on unimportant items. i guess it's called "cut to the chase". since i've been out of the "formal" workforce for some years, i'm not sure what recruiters look for these days. i guess it would depend on the company you are applying to and the type of job you are applying for. as slappy also said, consider having a resume writer do it for you. GOOD LUCK ! hbg.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 08:23 pm
Craven, I had mine done last year for about $200, and the person that did it was very good. My roomate, who is a manager that scans resumes/hires people, was skeptical of it, until he saw the resume.
I actually took a class in college on writing resumes and business memos, ect...I think I could have done a decent job, but not like a pro can.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:04 pm
As Slappy says, yeah, there are lots of different formats for resumes. I used to teach this stuff, though I admit to forgetting a lot of it. But you can choose a format that just leaves out education altogether. That is not to your advantage in many fields, but could be spun just fine in this field.

When I was learning this stuff (before developing my curriculum), one thing I read was "Resumes for Dummies." Seriously, it was useful.
0 Replies

Ceili

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:14 pm
I agree with Slappy. Hire a pro.
Talk to a school counsellor as well. A little official guidance may be able to give you some valuable tips on evading some of the more challenging aspects you are encountering.
Never lie on a resume, but omission is not wrong. Have you taken any courses at all, or anything relevant.
Your resume should have a good cover letter. Take that opportunity to expand a little on your life experiences. Mostly though it should be specific to your skills and strengths. You have a ton of those. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:19 pm
Uncle Sam Wants You--especially if you're straight:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/031504D.shtml
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:22 pm
Ditto Ceili about the cover letter. Since your resume will have a hard time speaking for itself, really nail the cover letter. That's what people turn to when the resume presents anything puzzling, and well before they would actually call you and let you explain.
0 Replies

Charli

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:26 pm
PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYERS ARE INTERESTED IN . . .
CdK - Employers are interested in what you can do for them - based on what you've done for someone else. Sure, a great education sounds great, but that's not where it's at! What have you delivered and what can you deliver for ME?!!! Concentrate on your experience and capabilities. And, remember, you can do anything - well, given a little time . . . you can learn whatever is needed. Don't forget to enjoy the trip! :-) :-) :-) [/color]
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:30 pm
I figured a cover letter would be more important for me than for most.

I have a few cover letter formatting questions:

1) Is it ok if it is on the same document (e.g. word document) as the resume?

2) How do you start and sign it?

3) What is the content and tone of a typical cover letter?
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:37 pm
Oh, man, I wish I'd kept some of my course materials. I used to be able to teach this stuff in my sleep, but now... I'll start writing and see what happens.

1.) Same format, yes, but a separate page (I think that's what you meant, but in case.) Word doc is fine.

2.) Start with a very specific salutation. NOT "to whom it may concern." Cover letters are all about targeting and specifics. You write the cover letter for the specific job you are applying for, not one general letter and then print 100 copies. So basic letter format, date at top left corner, then the name, title and address of the person you're sending it to below that, then "Dear Mr. ____"

Second-to-last line, "I look forward to hearing from you about this position." Then "sincerely."

3.) The next part should be about how you learned about the job, and how that job dovetails with your interests and experience. This is the spin part. Show how your experience will help you do the job well. (1-2 paragraphs.) Tone should be professional... not chatty, not cold.

Yeah, that seems about right.
0 Replies