What is the proper word to address a waiter/waitress when talking to her/him?

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:44 am
What is the proper word to address a waiter/waitress when talking to her/him in a restaurant?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:52 am
@cicibebe,
Can you please bring me a glass of water?

~~~

It would be helpful if you provided a little more context. What will you be talking to the waitstaff about?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:54 am
@cicibebe,
Waiter or waitress?

I guess you could address him Mr. Waiter (Ms. Waitress), but that would be over the top.

Mostly, you do not have to "address" the person at all. "Excuse me, may I have a glass of water" works fine.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:55 am
@ehBeth,
Wow...I was composing when you posted. Interesting that we both used the "glass of water" thingy.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:02 am
@cicibebe,
I sincerely address them with Sir or Maam.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:04 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

It would be helpful if you provided a little more context. What will you be talking to the waitstaff about?

The specials? The wine list? The weather? The Red Sox? Those damn Yankees? I don't have a regular restaurant. Never had. But if I did, I'd feel comfortable talking to waiter or waitress I'm familiar with.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:27 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I don't have a regular restaurant. Never had. But if I did, I'd feel comfortable talking to waiter or waitress I'm familiar with.

then you'd also likely know their names and use them

there's a little breakfast place I go to occasionally. the breakfast lady asked my name and told me hers - we greet each other by name when I go in.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 09:56 am
@ehBeth,
Good point ehbeth.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 02:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Never! Okay, almost never. If I ever address waitstaff as sir or mam, it's on the order of a NYC taxie addressing a difficult passenger as "Lady", as in "Look lady,". In other words, it's an insult based on poor service.
0 Replies

cicibebe

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 09:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
"Waiter or waitress?"

Both!

"I guess you could address him Mr. Waiter (Ms. Waitress), but that would be over the top"

If I address him/her in an overly formal way, is it possible that he'll be a less-tip-demanding-waiter because I'll satisfy him with my overly formal addressing?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 10:01 am
@cicibebe,
What an odd response. Do you assume all waitstaff are "tip demanding'?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187275-s606/Germany:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 10:12 am
@cicibebe,
If you are outside of North America, you should probably try asking this question again - the customs in different regions of the world are not the same.

It would be helpful if you developed a clearer question/thread title and then tagged the thread in a way that would allow people to determine what information is being requested.
0 Replies