I guess I am a fake atheist.

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:48 pm
I meet the alleged definition of "atheist". I don't believe in any deity.

Yet Atheists (with a capital 'A') really piss me off. And yes, apparently I piss them off too.

This is the problem. There are lots of people who are atheists (with a little 'a') who respect the role of religion in public and social life. I personally have no problem with "In God We Trust" being on money or with prayers in public institutions where it is meaningful to a community.

The real problem is when organizations that label themselves as "Atheist" organizations come with a a laundry list of social causes from same-sex marriage to eliminating religion from public institutions.

See http://www.atheistalliance.org/ for example.

If Atheists are going to organize campaigns to remove religion from public life or change society in ways they feel benefits a godless life, then they need to stop the pretext that Atheists have no beliefs or no creeds.

If Atheists are going to band together to go on public crusades, they can't define themselves as only "people who don't believe in god".

Because lots of us who don't believe in god think they are full of crap.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 5,858 • Replies: 71

rosborne979

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:13 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If Atheists are going to band together to go on public crusades, they can't define themselves as only "people who don't believe in god".
Sure they can. People who find themselves without theism (Atheists) can still act in different ways and still be Atheists. The set of beliefs or lack of beliefs can be unrelated to their actions because the actions can be motivated by different sets of ideas.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:32 pm
@rosborne979,
The people on these crusades are misusing the word "atheist" then. My issue is that they are using it in two different ways in an intentionally deceptive way.

First they forcibly assert that the definition of "atheist" is only "person who doesn't believe in god" and therefore atheists have no doctrine or creed.

Then they organize under the name "Atheist" to push a very specific set of social goals that definitely make up a doctrine and a creed.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:33 pm
@maxdancona,
They, I guess that's we, need a better marketing director. They need to hire more spokespersons like Carl Sagan and fewer like the anonymous assholes one reads parading around the internet.

Joe(no, you are not fake, they don't get it)Nation
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:50 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
They need to hire more spokespersons like Carl Sagan...

I suggest you choose someone else. Carl Sagan was an agnostic...and has called some forms of atheism "stupid."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:08 pm
If a group of atheists wants to band together, it's no different than a group of car salesmen or a group of football fans doing things together. Why do people single out the atheists? Oh, some of them band together. Now they are a religion? Give me a horse shitting break. The fact remains - Most atheists don't join such groups and possibly never will.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sure Edgar. I agree with this post of yours. But...

You aren't answering my specific criticism of "Atheists" (with a capital 'A').

I linked to a specific example of the "Atheists" I am talking about. These call themselves the "Atheists Alliance International" and the implication is that they are representing people who don't believe in God.

Of course they have every right to organize. I am just saying I find this type of "Atheist" rather annoying, particularly since they are misusing the term "atheist". They don't at all speak for the concerns of people who don't believe in god.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:27 pm
@maxdancona,
What do I care what they call themselves. Jimmy Swaggart does not represent all Christians. Yet, oddly, he is a Christian at the head of a group of Christians. As I pointed out on Wilso's thread, they are apparently pushing liberal causes. That automatically excludes half of atheists, since many conservatives are also atheists.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
If I were a Christian then Jimmy Swaggart would offend and annoy me, but I am not and I don't care about Jimmy Swaggart.

I am an atheist and it is people like Richard Dawkins who offend and annoy me.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:22 pm
@maxdancona,
It is of course every person's right to get offended and annoyed at things.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:32 pm
For what it's worth -- and I'm guessing it's not much -- this time I agree with you totally, max. I'm vastly amused by militant atheists who act as though they have to defend their non-faith and to proselytize it.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's worth a lot to me Lustig.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 06:42 pm
Am I my brother's kipper? If so, that makes him a kipper too.
nothingtodo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
In a way.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, if the subject's going to get a little fishy here, I might as well tell you that I'm a firm believer in the separation of perch and skate.
nothingtodo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
If you are interested in fishy perplexities..
You may be interested to know that a perch of rare clarity of scale color and vivacity.. (rare, I assume so .... pompously).. When removed from its habitat, in which it grew to fair size and retained that spark of hope and life.. Placed into a tank of human design, with belief that its spawn or attempts at such would be too many.. finds itself dwindling in all the aforementioned aspects of true living.

The river, of sea, where skate swim free.. Is where such a fish belongs, even when flicking out of that river as gesture of drive to be 'life', not creature prohibited, to places which are suddenly deemed 'tanks'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, to me this thread is disjunctive for that reason. Max is upset about some group of temporarily like minds.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:29 pm
@ossobuco,
To itch his own.
nothingtodo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That said, I never did catch a skate, only a perch.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think we're only scratching the surface of the problem here, edgar.