I guess I am a fake atheist.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 08:59 pm
Time for me to get away from the screen for a while. Other duties call.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
@ossobuco,
I am not sure I follow your thinking on that question.

Sane sane man you.

Max.
Legion is, in fact the militarized arm of the ethical advancement midst the focused point of ethical floundering which is perfection.
Legion therefore tolerates in place of irritating himself.

Apologies.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:02 pm
@ossobuco,
That is very funny as an inside theological joke. I hope you meant it that way.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:02 pm
@nothingtodo,
You must be kidding.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Petunia.
nothingtodo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Define: 'Kidding' please.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:10 pm
@maxdancona,
I had a quarter of theology in a catholic college and got a d with otherwise straight a's, including one in logic. I transferred after that.

I didn't mean it that way. I think you don't get me at all and I don't thing you get yourself either on all this.
nothingtodo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:19 pm
@ossobuco,
To make a flower of the quest for knowledge is to fell armies with the truth.

If truth itself is the problem that ruins perfection, perfection being that systematic flow of clarity which requires no second contemplation of difference to the first.. Then Tolerance and silence exist in place of a base shift to alter the world.

Explanation that ethics at its height is flawed, is only equivalent to the explanation that any angelic force of purity is so flawed too, beside his next similar brother, in worlds which corruption flourishes to the feet of the Gods.. Even to their feet they look, in spite, to acknowledge this.

A grimace at the flaw presented by corruption lasting longer than any grimace man could conceive possible, were it not for that interference as witnessed in other forms..

Defy thy contemplation's or do not, it will not change.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for the psychoanalysis Osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:26 pm
@nothingtodo,
Oh, god, he's talking about petunias!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:02 pm
Richard Dawkins has a formidable intellect and he knows it all too well. What he just doesn't seem to be able to appreciate is that his intellect is not infallible.

He is a theorist in a field that is based on a theory.

He thrives in a realm where the quality of an expression of opinion scores points.

He is also known within his field as a harsh (some argue unduly so) critic of the theories of colleagues who do not see things his way. His nasty attacks against E.O. Wilson present a good example.

I suspect that somwehere along the line a great course brute thumped little Dickie Dawkins, and he has been compensating ever since.

In any case, whether you believe in God or a god or you don't is a personal position which can't be very well thought out if a hectoring proselytizer can easily sway you. Dawkins like a lot of evangelical preachers are in awe of their eloquence and believe that if they can just get someone to listen to them, they will be converted.

Although Dawkins seems to think that if can just explain to people of faith how pathetically stupid they are, they will see things his way.

Max, I confess that with this and your posting on the "firing for beauty" matter I think I have misjudged you.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:23 pm
I think one reason I do not view things the way you do, Max, I don't attach importance to symbols. As an instance, Dawkins always jumps into these threads, like clockwork. He symbolizes much to folks on both sides of the issue. Not so with me. I have not read anything by him or any other of the current crop of atheists. I avoid the so called thinkers of both religion and non religion, in fact. The organization with the web site will likely never be viewed by me. But it is perfectly fine with me that they exist. It will all wash out in the flow of events, whether sooner or later, no matter how you or I feel about it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Yet Atheists (with a capital 'A') really piss me off. And yes, apparently I piss them off too.

Well, good. What we're doing is working then.
nothingtodo

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:25 am
@Thomas,
Very well put, ...cornflakes?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:44 am
It is curious to me how (it seems to me) mainly Americans see atheism as some kind of movement or assume that an atheist must be a left-wing pro-choice liberal. I am an atheist in the sense that I do not believe in (any) god; I support the British Labour Party; I eat organic food; I am opposed to fox hunting; I won't eat GM foods; I boycott Israeli products; I run Linux on my PC; I listen to opera. My father is an atheist too. He supports the British Conservative Party; he eats Marks And Spencer microwave ready meals; he supports fox hunting avidly; he couldn't care less about Israel either way; he sticks with Windows 98 because "it works", he likes opera too. We both like cats.
nothingtodo

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:46 am
Microwave meals?
Lucky lucky person.

I know you lie, I am not bothered, you can have all the smiles you require.
Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:01 am
So, essentially, Max wasn't getting enough argument in life, and had to start this thread to pick a fight? How very silly . . .
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:10 am
@nothingtodo,
nothingtodo wrote:
I know you lie, I am not bothered, you can have all the smiles you require.

You really are a wanker.
Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:10 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
We both like cats.

I just knew there was something truly evil about you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:35 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

It is curious to me how (it seems to me) mainly Americans see atheism as some kind of movement or assume that an atheist must be a left-wing pro-choice liberal. I am an atheist in the sense that I do not believe in (any) god; I support the British Labour Party; I eat organic food; I am opposed to fox hunting; I won't eat GM foods; I boycott Israeli products; I run Linux on my PC; I listen to opera. My father is an atheist too. He supports the British Conservative Party; he eats Marks And Spencer microwave ready meals; he supports fox hunting avidly; he couldn't care less about Israel either way; he sticks with Windows 98 because "it works", he likes opera too. We both like cats.

An apt illustration of what I have been pointing out here. Thanks.