How would you fix the Lakers?

Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 10:55 am
@hawkeye10,
'Ya know ... you won't catching me disagree with you there. It'll never happen that way (not taking any more $$$), but we can dream can't we.

As a true sports fan, even though I'm a Celtics fan, I want the Lakers to return to strength even quicker rather than hamstrung by having to overcome his bloated undeserved mega-salary. His loyalty would be commended if she stopped playing and stopped getting this Laker-welfare.

Jeanie Buss (minus her bother, Jim) means there's a good chance those Lakers will right their sinking ship.

BTW, she's not so bad on the eyes, either. but I digress.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 02:36 pm
@Ragman,
I said back when Ballmer paid so much that he was betting that the Laker ownership would not get their act together, betting that Jeanie would not take over, and so LA will become a Clipper town.

I hope he was wrong, like he was wrong about Nokia and a whole bunch of other things at MicroSoft.

One of the ways I know it is her not him that should be deciding

Quote:
I'm not going to say that was not always my hope at some point," Buss said on Bleacher Report radio of Jackson having a Lakers front-office position, the Post reported. "But it was made clear to me by my brother [Jim] and [general manager] Mitch Kupchak, we didn't need any more voices involved with the Lakers, that they felt they had everything under control. I respect that, but had to respect Phil's desire to work again. He had to pursue whatever made him happy.

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/53524/20151202/los-angeles-lakers-rumors-jeanie-buss-hints-she-wants-phil-jackson-in-teams-front-office-video.htm
Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
That is another whole side-show-issue with Jeanie and Phil Jackson being engaged. I liked Jackson as a person and as a coach but he is way overrated as an exec. A fact that'll be born out in another year or so. Though, I must admit at 8w-10L, the Knicks are on the upswing after bottoming out last year. Gawd knows how they function with Mr. Un-Melo
0 Replies

Shawn Kemp

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 12:26 pm
Byron Scott should be fired immediately as he is incapable of developing younger players while kissing Kobe's bottom by allowing #24 to jack up bad shot after bad shot. Scott has sucked for years, but just because of his reputation for playing on a championship team, he gets a pass. But the modern NBA has passed him by to the point where he is now a terrible, terrible coach. Can't playcall for anything, has no unique offsensive or defensive play sets or rotations.
The Lakers priority should be rather clear and simple: develop young guys. Development comes before everything. And Scott can't handle it.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 02:07 pm
@Shawn Kemp,
Word is front office has no intention of firing him, the reasoning is that the play of the team is not his fault. Developing talent is one of the arguments for Kobe quitting today BTW, another thing that will not happen.

I am not 100% sure that Scott cant develop players. He is working under orders to put on the most entertaining show he can each night, it is not clear to me that this Laker management has any understanding of the need to develop talent, of the need to suffer through boring games to hopefully get the youngsters enough practice that they can get good and win games. And we know that they dont have any experience developing talent, they have never needed to do it.

Jim needs to leave for sure, Scott will for sure soon and maybe should be replaced now, but there are a whole lot of other things that need to change before the rebuilding can start .The lakers still dont understand that they are nowhere, they have little talent, they have no ability to develop talent, and no star in his right mind is going to play for a management that is this inept. Dwight Howard understood the score a couple of years before it became clear to me.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 08:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
"My brother assured me that by the summer of 2017 that we would be back in contention," Buss said, and repeated what Jim told her at the family meeting when he told his siblings about his self-imposed deadline. "'If I can't do that then I'm not the right person for the job.' So he even acknowledged that a change would need to be made."

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/4/9848218/la-lakers-jeanie-buss-jim-buss-deadline-contention

Alrighty then, but it is going to suck waiting that long to get the right person into the chair.
0 Replies