How would you fix the Lakers?

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:04 am
@Region Philbis,
the worst thing is that Howard did not want to fight to the finish, he got himself ejected a bit into the 3rd. does this mean that he is leaving?

what a sucky end to a sucky year, and there is no reason to think that next year will be better.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
, Howard was asked to assess his first (and only?) season with the Lakers.

"A nightmare," he said. "A bad dream. I couldn't wake up out of it. It seemed like nothing could go right from the start."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2013/04/28/dwight-howard-ejected-future-free-agency-los-angeles-san-antonio-spurs/2119933/

methinks he takes a hike.....the problem is ownership/management and that aint changing any time soon.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:15 am
@Region Philbis,
Stephen Curry ... I personally want to thank you for putting us sports fans out of the misery of having to seeing that car crash of a Lakers team any longer.

Dwight Howard, so long. What a punk move! You quit! you begged to get tossed out.

You were getting run out of the arena...so you chose to lose self-control and lose your professionalism because you didn't want to be there. You lost and reason for anyone to respect you. Hope you find yourself a new home 'cause it had better not be with the Lakers.

Howard, to say the least...you lack maturity. You also lack the dedication to winning and you could be the most selfish athlete on any team in an era particularly full of a large quantity of selfish player.

As long as Jim Buss runs this team, it's doomed to fail. He's not just clueless and unintelligent about personnel decision-making , he is the main reason it's imploding. how he handles that $85 m to Kobe this next season is crucial. How poorly handled the decision about who/whom runs the team at season's beginning ...Phil Jackson or (no-D)'Antoni running the team. Oops!

Lakers ... Get rid of Howard and Jim Buss. You're the exact opposite of your late father.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

OTOH, I'm no sports expert by any means...but Stephen Curry...I've watched a lot of basketball in my off-and-on 45+ years as a fan, but I can't recall a better individual and/or clutch performance to end a playoff game. Just to think that you were considering a pain shot in the first half ...as you were hurting and had only on FG at the half, In one interval...6:22 minutes...you scored 22 pts. and you rained down 3-pts. shots like nobody's business. You took set shots from 40 ft....that weren't desperation, last-minute deals. You're simply amazing as you're pretty confident they'd go. I could watch that highlight video daily and not ever get tired of it.

Superstar in the making... I'll be watching how far you can take your talented team. You clearly SHOULD have been drafted #1 in the draft.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:20 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
You were getting run out of the arena...so you chose to lose self-control and lose your professionalism because you didn't want to be there. You lost and reason for anyone to respect you. Hope you find yourself a new home 'cause it had better not be with the Lakers.

i can see "management is fucked so why should I care!"....but where was personal pride?
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:30 am
@hawkeye10,
Big money seems to have corrupted him... and pre-empted his pride.

He wilted (no pun intended..Wilt the Stilt)!
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:37 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Big money seems to have corrupted him... and pre-empted his pride.

He wilted (no pun intended..Wilt the Stilt)!

not sure yet...this might be his letting his anger over mismanagement get the better of him.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:48 am
@hawkeye10,
kobe's path is now clear...collect his $30 million, maybe play some, then retire at the end of next season. there is not anything at the Lakers to try to stick around for.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 11:01 am
@hawkeye10,
His fans and his teammates deserved far better than to get tossed out. I realize how much he gets hacked at by defenders, but he should've had far more self-control than to get tossed out as he did. He's no rookie.

Are you implying that he might be trying to get Mike no-D fired?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 11:11 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Are you implying that he might be trying to get Mike no-D fired?

more like that his give-a-**** level is down because management has been clear that they think that D has done a good job and thus is staying. have you ever worked for clueless management because I have and I can kinda empathize. But Howard was still wrong.
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 12:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yup! agreed! It's no shocker that LA owner Jim Buss (and his stooge No-D) f-ed up big time. However, I'd love to this franchise get straightened up REALLY soon. LA and NBA needs it to be a vital and strong franchise.

The best thing that could happen here is that Jeanie Buss, Exec VP of Business Operations (and governor of the Lakers) takes the helm.

Not-too-small-of-a-nit: She is engaged to former Lakers coach Phil Jackson, whom she began dating in December 1999.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 12:47 pm
@Ragman,
Agreed about Curry. I was really hoping the Suns could finagle a deal to get him in the draft, to replace Nash, but alas ....
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 12:51 pm
@Ticomaya,
My sympathies.

'Cause, He's the MAN! Watch out for him in these playoffs! 'Cept of course, if they end up meeting Miami Heat! Agreed?

On a slightly different subject, when Ray Allen gets to be a 60-yr-old, I'll bet if you woke him up from his afternoon nap he'd shoot and male a 3-pt-shot with his eyes closed.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:05 pm
@Ragman,
Ben McLemore from Kansas, has a shooting motion very reminiscent of Ray Allen. Very pure. I think he should have stayed in college another year, but he could be a very good player at the next level, in a few years.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I can't watch basketball. For whatever reason, that was the one American sport I could never get any kind of a handle on it all i.e., trying to watch a ball low and a hoop high at the same time was too much like trying to play a piano with your hands too far apart, I could never do it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:49 pm
@Ticomaya,
He was red-shirted? Though he's a Freshman that had some roughness in Sweet 16, he's now projected to be Top Five. I'll keep an eye out for him. I've just read up on him and it reports that he's 6ft 4in very athletic shooting guard...that might be good 2-way player.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 07:55 am
@Ragman,
No, he's a true freshman. He didn't have a good NCAA tournament. One of his biggest drawbacks, as a player for the Jayhawks, was he wasn't assertive enough. He's a true talent, no doubt about it, but I think he would have benefited from an additional year of seasoning in college before making the jump. But as far as talent and athletic ability, he's phenomenal. He can leap out of the gym, and is a very sweet shooter.
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 08:39 am
@Ticomaya,
Might be fun to see him next to Rajan Rondo at the right time.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 08:48 am
@Ragman,
It would be more fun to see him next to Goran Dragic!
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 08:49 am
@Ticomaya,
heheh!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 12:40 am
Quote:
Lakers: An 0-8 preseason and 1-4 start get the coach canned. A replacement is hired while much-loved Phil Jackson is still mulling it over. Much-loved owner Dr. Jerry Buss dies from cancer. Howard's hurt, Nash hurt, Kobe hurt, Pau hurt. The new coach is not much-loved. Fans chant: "We Want Phil!" Lakers use players in the playoffs who are named Who, What and I Don't Know. They lose a game by 31 points -- worst home playoff loss ever. Howard gets ejected from Game 4. The season ends and Kobe sues his mom for selling his memorabilia. Get me CBS or NBC. Have I got a sitcom for you.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/17/opinion/downey-la-sports-teams/?iref=obinsite

ha ha... comedians are everywhere.