How would you fix the Lakers?

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 06:31 pm
On paper the Lakers should be much better than they are right now. Some blame Pau Gasol, others the coaches or offensive systems, or the absence of Steve Nash. Others say there's nothing to fix and that they just need time.

What do you think? If you had absolute power over the Lakers how would you fix things?

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 06:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,

don't think i'd do anything drastic.
i'd wanna see how they'd look with a full roster.

right now they are missing nash as well as his back-up (blake).
it's pretty tough to be an upper-echelon team without a good point gaurd...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 02:02 am
@Robert Gentel,
I would Tell Kobe to stop jacking up shots...They win when they move the ball...They lose when he tries to stuff his stat sheet...

The will be fine in time though...I think...Same thing 2 years ago...When people were saying that Miami was a bust because they could not win...With the superstars...But it was just time they needed, and needed to figure out their roles...
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 07:00 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
FIRST OF ALL, I would begin a major renaming of all these basketball teams that have moved around the country and yet have reatined their original names from a time when those names actually made sene

LA "LAKERS"? cmon, LA is a desert, why not the LA rattlers or the coyotes or Angelinos.

HOW bout the UTAH JAZZ?-last time there was any jazz in Utah was when Sherman came to settle the uprising

MEMPHIS Grizzlies? maybe in a fossil assemblage somewhere in a museum. How bout "The Johnsons" after the famous blues guitarist
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 07:52 am
@farmerman,
Nice to hear from you again Farmerman...! Wink
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 07:55 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
echelon

Echelon? Great word mate! Wink Great word....Wink Very Happy
Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 07:58 am
@farmerman,
How 'bout the LA Kobes?

Seriously, the LA Earthquakes works for me (until the big one hits).
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 08:07 am
@Ragman,
If they renamed the team the LA Kobes...I don't even think they would be able to play anymore games...Cause no one would be able to fit inside their stadium with the size of Kobe's head...2 Cents
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 08:25 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Angelinos no good?

Course, that may be a bit like "pizza pie"
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 09:16 am
@farmerman,
I am totally down with the renaming plan, mainly to get New Orleans it's rightful name (Jazz).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 09:18 am
@Region Philbis,
I agree that they should wait (they will have plenty of time to move Gasol if they want to) but don't think that Gasol will ever be fully utilized when there is another player playing his position (center) and think that they would be much better served by a more athletic power forward given that they have Howard already occupying center.

I think that Gasol saw similar under-utilization with Bynum's growth in the center spot last year too.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 09:52 am
@Robert Gentel,

the one good reason i can see to keep gasol around would be as insurance against dwight possibly throwing his back out again...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 09:54 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

thanx dude.
hadda google it to make sure i got the spelling right...
George

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 09:57 am
Q: How would you fix the Lakers?
A: With a veterinarian.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 09:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
If they are content in keeping Howard...And think they will perform at a high level...I would trade Pau...For a really good SG...or really good defensive SF or PF...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 10:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

It is a great word!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 01:42 am
Quote:
There had to be a low point. The Los Angeles Lakers can only hope they've reached it.

This chaotic season has gotten worse.

Kyrie Irving scored 28 points in his return after missing 11 games with a broken finger, leading the Cleveland Cavaliers to a 100-94 win over Kobe Bryant and the Lakers, who look nothing like a team projected to win an NBA title - or anything else.

"This is one of the most challenging stretches of my 17 years, and the most baffling, too," a puzzled Bryant said after the Lakers lost for the eighth time in 11 games. "We have the talent and personnel to do it, but we're not, and it's baffling. It's extremely frustrating.

"It doesn't make any sense. We're still finding ways to lose games."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50168480/ns/sports-nba/

come on a2k! I come here to learn the truth, wtf is up with the Lakers?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 02:12 am
@hawkeye10,
They have no point guard right now...So no facilitator...And no shooters...Besides Kobe...One defensive threat...In Howard...No use for Pau anymore...a coach who likes to put up points, rather than play D...

And no one plays like they want to win But Kobe...But he jacks up shots, which kills the team even more...And he goes off...They try even less cause they rely on Kobe...And then the other team lets him have his 35 to 45...And the other team does all the right things a team should do...And the Lakers lose...

They will be a very good if not great team when Nash comes back...And when the team finds their roles...And how to succeed...Just like Miami did 2 years ago...

Right now, they have too many issues, and that is why they are losing...

It will make an immediate impact as soon as Nash comes back, as long as he is healthy...Lots of easy buckets to Dwight and Kobe, and others...etc...

But if they want to be a championship team....They need another defensive threat...Or a really solid shooter...Who can knock down open buckets...Spread the floor for Kobe, and give open looks in the paint to Howard...

Or they need the Defensive person...Who can take one of the other teams stars out of the game...And make teams not want to play LA...And give them confidence...Change the moral of the whole team...Limit the scoring...And then let Nash, do what he will do...And Kobe will be Kobe...And easy buckets for Howard...

I think the D would be better...But given the coach that is there, I think they will go farther with a great shooter...Once Nash comes back...

In short, right now, no one is trying but Kobe...Or they are not playing that good...because they are giving Kobe the ball too much...And not taking shots themselves...And moving the ball like they should be...And no one is scared of that D...Cause no one even tries to go inside on Dwight...

They need a point guard right now...If they want to blow everyone off the court and not play D...

If they played D...They would have mopped the floor against Cleveland last night even without Nash...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 02:18 am
Youkilis new to Yanks thread made at 12/12/12...12:22?....Last post made at 12/12/12...2:12?...That is bizzare...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 02:58 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
In short, right now, no one is trying but Kobe
isnt the stink that Kobe gets what Kobe wants and he does not care about D because he is all about showing himself off?? i could be convinced otherwise maybe, but I think we need to pin the blame squarely on Kobe, to include not having better coaching.....Kobe would balk at having a strong coach so the Lakers dont have a strong coach.