How would you fix the Lakers?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:14 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
It takes about 1.5-2 months to heal and then 3 more months to build your leg muscles back up

so why am i reading that he would miss all of next year if this is what it is? you know, his last year of his contract where he will vacuum up $30 million of salary cap, after which he was already considering retiring?

Kobe is going to want his victory tour but that would mean waiting at least two years before working on "what's next". even pops would have agonized over what to do, but he is gone the kids running the Lakers today are going to be even more lost than they already were.
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:26 am
@hawkeye10,
I can only speak of healing from the standpoint that I, as a civilian, semi-athlete at the time. He, and his healing and return to form of the high-performance athlete at the top of the b-ball heap, has a whole different set of dynamics. It is unclear how his jumping and springing off with a repaired Achilles tendon may be affected. Depending on how he heals, over-calcification could limit his flexibility and the elasticity of the tendon and calf muscle.

When he might return to the line-up (estimated around Dec at some point), Lakers will be a much different team, which for all intents and purposes ... might be led by Howard as offensive leader. Wonder how well Kobe could adjust as #2 option...IF he heals up well.

A whole different issue is the Lakers salary cap and his huge salary and the 'amnesty' arrangement they'd be facing. Lakers are looking to trim salary and could be facing a public relations nightmare.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:39 am
@Ragman,
plus maybe that the are saying this is 100%.........
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:40 am
@hawkeye10,
sorry..100% what?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:45 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
A whole different issue is the Lakers salary cap and his huge salary and the 'amnesty' arrangement they'd be facing. Lakers are looking to trim salary and could be facing a public relations nightmare.

they need both to be seen as treating Kobe "right" and need to find some way to put a competitive team on the floor. and let's also remember that they have a one year in coach who has shown nothing to date.

I would not want to be running this mess right now.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:46 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

sorry..100% what?
severed...you were 90%
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 12:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
One has to wonder, was there ever a point when Coach Mike D'Antoni considered giving Bryant a rest? Especially in this game, when earlier he dropped twice to the floor?

Bryant's pain began early in the third quarter, when he seemingly bruised his left knee when sandwiched between Barnes and Festus Ezeli on a layup attempt. He lay on the ground several long minutes. When he finally arose, a relieved crowd chanted, "MVP," and, yes, he is the MVP this season simply for being able to stand tall amid this mess.

Then, midway through the third quarter, Bryant banged his other knee, limping alone down the court in obvious pain, and everyone chanting "MVP" again. It's as if, at some point, the fans weren't just adoring him, but feeling sorry for him.

Yet not once did Bryant come out of the game, just as he has rarely rested in recent games as the Lakers have battled the Utah Jazz for the final playoff spot.

"It was all necessary," said Bryant of his playing time. "It was just a freak situation."

Was it necessary? Would Phil Jackson have deemed it necessary? Did the combination of an uncertain D'Antoni and a stubborn Bryant just blow up all over the Lakers' future?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20130413,0,4928998.column

good point...if i am in the chair the second thing I do after visiting Kobe is think on whether I want to keep D'Antoni.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 10:00 pm

they're saying 6-9 months...
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 10:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

they're saying 6-9 months...

before he can practice hard....do you realize how rusty he will be, and that he almost cerainly will never play as good as he did two days ago, and might have to retire??
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 10:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
on FB, he wrote:
Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the
rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was. Maybe this is how my book ends.
Maybe Father Time has defeated me...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 10:39 pm
I think it is sad what happened to Kobe...really it is...but you know what interests me the most of it all?

When D'antoni gets fired after this season, I am interested in what lame excuse of stipulations Phil has to say as to why he may not be interested in the head coaching job anymore...just like he walked away before they got Dwight, then wanted the job back...after...
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:18 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
When D'antoni gets fired after this season

my guess is that they will not...they will do nothing for a year. I would not want to be the guy in charge of filling seats though.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
To waive Kobe in July would be to tacitly acknowledge that because of his injury he is not worth his salary in 2013-14. To acknowledge that the franchise and its brand new leader,Jim Buss, doesn't believe Kobe can come back from the surgery stronger, better, more valuable. How do you think Kobe responds to acknowledgments like that from a franchise to which he has given 17 years and five rings?

He wages war.

I think many things about Jim Buss, some of them probably true and most of them probably exaggerated. But I don't think he's stupid enough to spark that war. Phil Jackson is one thing. Kobe Bryant? The city of Los Angeles has already to some extent turned on the Jim and Chaz era. You heard them chant "We want Phil!" earlier this month. But that would be nothing -- NOTHING -- compared to the wrath fans would unleash if Buss sparked a war between Kobe and the franchise. And I just don't think Jim is stupid enough to risk it.

So no, I don't believe the Lakers will use the amnesty clause on Kobe. It just wouldn't end well.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/14/4223256/kobe-bryant-amnesty-clause-waivers-lakers-injury

I dont think that being supid would stop the front office from doing anything, they have done a lot a supid things lately, but I do think they will take the path of least resistance.....which is to do nothing.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 12:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The Lakers have one of the strongest and most admired franchises in professional sports, but they are consistently held hostage by a single jersey with a singular vow to fly his team to the playoffs even as the strains of all 17 seasons dragged him to the floor.

In interviews a day after Bryant's season ended in the final minutes of a victory over the Golden State Warriors on Friday, it was obvious that important people on the Lakers were worried about him, yet nobody could stop him. It seems everybody saw an accident like this happening, but nobody was strong enough to throw their bodies in front of the dazzling No. 24 as it careened toward calamity.

In the end, Kobe Bryant's greatness became his curse. He had become so big, so influential, so admired, even the most powerful sports organization in Los Angeles was afraid to tell him no.
There was always only one person who could keep Bryant on the bench. If you want to blame someone here, blame the Lakers basketball boss who failed to bring this guy home.

Once again, if only Jimmy Buss had not snubbed Phil Jackson earlier this season before hiring D'Antoni. Those who say the former Lakers coach could not have kept Bryant rested and perhaps healthy are ignoring history.

Seven straight games of at least 40 minutes? When Jackson was coaching in 2008-09, Bryant needed three months to rack up seven games of 40 minutes. When Jackson was coaching in 2010, Bryant didn't even play seven straight games of 40 minutes in the seven-game Finals series against Boston.

The Lakers have long known they had a different sort of player in Bryant. They have long realized that only one man could truly handle him. When Buss failed to bring Jackson back this season, he not only let down Lakers fans, he also let down Bryant, who, for the foreseeable future, will sadly stay down.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-kobe-20130414,0,1292313.column?page=1

Jimmy could have ordered Kobe protected (rested) so I dont fully agree, but I do agree at the end of the day that this is Jimmies fault. this adds to the argument that he was the wrong pick for the chair.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 11:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni will be back next season, General Manager Mitch Kupchak said Wednesday.

"Yeah, he's back. I think he's done a great job," Kupchak told The Times. "There's been no discussions otherwise.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20130418,0,5620091.story

yep.......do. nothing.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:27 am
@hawkeye10,

well, they did make the playoffs after a dreadful start...

meanwhile --
Quote:
After nearly two seasons in retirement, Phil Jackson has become increasingly interested in
working in the NBA next season, according to sources familiar with his thinking.

That doesn't necessarily mean a return to coaching, as Jackson is known to be intrigued by
the concept of moving into management for the first time in his career.

But sources told ESPN.com this week that Jackson is "itching" to go back to work after a
long spell to recharge since leaving the Los Angeles Lakers' bench following the 2010-11
season.

Sources stressed that there is no specific opportunity in play yet for Jackson, who resisted
coaching overtures from the Brooklyn Nets earlier this season and told longtime confidant
Charley Rosen in January in a SheridanHoops.com story that he "has no intention of ever
coaching again."

But NBA coaching sources say that stance will not dissuade teams with openings from
approaching Jackson this offseason to gauge his interest, with the Nets and Cleveland
Cavaliers -- who interviewed Jackson in 2005 and are known to be contemplating a coaching
change -- potentially at the top of the list.

What has Jackson really intrigued, sources say, is the opportunity to oversee an organization
in the patriarchal style of Pat Riley with the Miami Heat or in a role similar to that previously
held by Larry Bird with the Indiana Pacers.

But it remains to be seen if a team will give him that sort of chance, given that the 67-year-
old Jackson is the most successful coach in league history with 11 championship rings and
has never held a prominent NBA personnel job.
(espn)
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:16 am
@Region Philbis,
It would be idiotic to give Phil what he wants given his age...not to mention his blowing hot and cold.
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:32 am
@hawkeye10,
I like Phil a lot but in the process (not entirely his fault) he has become larger-than-life. The Lakers, as comprised with Howard on the team and a Swiss cheese defense are simply not a playoff or final round team. Next year with the same cast of characters they probably won't be playoff-ready either. Gasol will be a year older and right now he's not near his prime between his injuries and his inconsistencies on D.

Next yr, if still coached by Mike D. they have little chance of changing that around; however Phil wants to be a GM somewhere so where does that leave the Lakers next year ...with Mike D. ? And how can Mike D. coexist if Phil comes in Laker-land as GM.

There's trouble in Laker-land as far as them improving from wherever they end up this year. BTW, my prediction is that they'll be one-and-done.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 11:40 am
@Region Philbis,
They have had to change his name to Mike Antoni because he has no D!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 09:37 am

http://www.jmailpro.com/admin/temp/newsletters/28/animation_sweeping.gif