How would you fix the Lakers?

Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:38 pm
@Region Philbis,
Their in a tough division.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:40 pm
Here's how you fix the current Lakers....Bring Michael Jordan to the fountain of youth and sign him....And bring Magic to the fountain....And sign him...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 12:58 am
Lakers continue to regress in latest loss to Bulls
Quote:
The Lakers are getting worse, not better. And all of their flaws were on display simultaneously during a 95-83 loss to a Bulls team that was playing without its leading scorer.

Add in another miserable shooting night from Kobe Bryant, who finished 7-of-22 from the field, including making just one of his seven attempts in the fourth quarter, and you have the game’s ultimate result.

The Gasol issue will play itself out one way or another; either he’ll come to terms with the way D’Antoni is currently choosing to use him, or he’ll cause problems to the point where the Lakers will have no choice but to deal him at the deadline.

But when peering through this mess of a season in Los Angeles, remember that these smaller issues are just a diversion from the greater one, which is this: The Lakers are getting worse, not better. And eventually, they will have to do something about it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/lakers-continue-to-regress-in-latest-loss-to-bulls/related/

losing D’Antoni is not out of the question.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Instead the Lakers (at the request of Kobe) worked to bring in a Princeton-hybrid offense — something without play calls and the micromanaging Brown brought as coach. The idea was to make Steve Nash the point god and when he got the ball he could decide to fast break, or come up and call for some pick-and-roll action, or he could go into one of the Princeton sets.

When you have that many options at the top of the offense it’s going to take a long time for get guys on the same page and acting seamlessly. The Lakers never came close to that. Guys were clearly thinking and not reacting, combine that with the return just at the start of the season of Howard and other injuries and you kill any chance of the group jelling. The offense was a mess. And the defense was still worse (and supposed to be Brown’s specialty).

So the Lakers fired Mike Brown.

And went 180 degrees with Mike D’Antoni — a guy who won playing Amar’e Stoudemire at the five, flooding the floor with shooters and letting Steve Nash run the show as fast as he wanted. That was absolutely nothing like the Lakers roster, even Steve Nash is older and slower. The Lakers had two big men who want the ball in the post, plus Kobe and Metta World Peace like the post, also. “Young” and “athletic” are not words used to describe the Lakers roster.

If you learned one thing from watching Mike D’Antoni operate in New York is that the players must fit the system because the system isn’t changing to fit the players. The Lakers knew that and knew they had a mismatched roster for what D’Antoni wanted to do when they hired them — fans want to blame D’Antoni for not modifying what he does but this goes back to management hiring him knowing he was a system guy. Or at least Lakers fans need to hope management knew that

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/lakers-are-a-perfect-storm-of-bad-with-no-easy-way-to-port/related/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 08:44 pm
To the original question, I'd hire a Harbaugh.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:18 am
Did anyone see what Bill Simmons said on E.S.P.N. about Dwight Howard and his future?

He basically said that they should trade him today, cause even if he signs a long term deal, and stays for 5 more years, and has Kobe for 2 more...He is not worth 105-108 million for 5 years and I think it is a great argument, and makes a lot of sense...

He has a lot of health issues like most big men do. And he certainly does not seem interested in being the big man in the big pond for the future of the Lakers...but seems to want to go somewhere to create his own legacy...

I think he is the most dominant big man in the game...but I do not understand why teams keep spoon-feeding this man till he commits to a team...long term...and shows he wants to be there...

Every team he goes too, they give him all the leverage...After 2 p.m. he is free to walk at the end of this year if he wants...It is stupid...Trade him to Brooklyn where he wants to go...and get Joe Johnson and a pick, Or Deron and a pick...Or someone else and a pick...Or 2 good guys and a lower pick etc...

If he did not commit the first time long term...It is even less likely he will this time...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:24 am
I do not like the Lakers because of Kobe's attitude...but it is sad at how bad it was with Dantoni...Cause it looks like the Lakers are going to cater to Phil also...too bad...better for the team...but doesn't deserve the job with all his stipulations upon getting the job...the man has 10 rings, but he had Jordan, and Pippen....And he had Shaq and Kobe...
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 04:36 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I was reading last week a theory that the problem with the lakers is that the old man was mostly absent the last year or more, that the daughter is the one who should be running the show but instead it is the idiot son who is. The problem with the lakers is at the very top, and it will not fixed anytime soon unless the family is forced to sell.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 04:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have heard much about that as well, and it seems to be very truthful...
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 04:45 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Someone else said that that hate for Phil Jackson got so strong that the organization was purged of everyone who was close to him...which turned out to be a majority of the skilled operations people.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 04:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah...I think that is probably very truthful as well...
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 06:51 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
near as I can figure the problem with Phil is that he flat out refused multiple instructions from management to put on a proper show for the fans during games............his "zen coach" routine was not in the script which he was handed to perform. Phil picked up somewhere this wild hair idea that his primary job was to win championships, and refused to reform..
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 08:09 pm
Quote:
Kobe: We are playoff-bound

Kobe Bryant evidently is confident the Los Angeles Lakers will make the playoffs -- and be a factor
when they get there.

Bryant said in an interview with Sports Illustrated that he is certain the struggling Lakers will make
the playoffs. The 15-time All-Star also claimed he has "no fear" of any potential postseason opponent
in the competitive Western Conference.

"It's not a question of if we make the playoffs. We will," Bryant told Sports Illustrated. "And when we
get there, I have no fear of anyone -- Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Denver ... whoever. I have zero
nervousness about that."

The Lakers (26-29) have won six of their last nine games, including Wednesday's 113-99 victory over
the Boston Celtics. But despite the recent hot streak, Los Angeles trails the Houston Rockets by 3½
games for the eighth spot in the conference standings.

Bryant, the NBA's fourth-leading scorer at 26.6 points per game, cited a loss earlier this month to
the Miami Heat as one of the sources of his confidence.

The Lakers dropped a 107-97 decision in Miami on Feb. 10 to conclude a seven-game road trip. Despite
the loss, Bryant told Sports Illustrated the Lakers showed positive signs in the contest.

"We will make the playoffs," he said. "And we will compete. And part of the reason I have that
confidence is the Miami game. We had control of the game. That was no fluke. We were playing very,
very well. We were reading the defense, making the extra pass.
(espn)
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 11:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
Kobe Bryant evidently is confident the Los Angeles Lakers will make the playoffs -- and be a factor
when they get there.

Bryant said in an interview with Sports Illustrated that he is certain the struggling Lakers will make
the playoffs. The 15-time All-Star also claimed he has "no fear" of any potential postseason opponent
in the competitive Western Conference.

so says the same guy who was two weeks ago complaining that the new blood in the league dont trash talk, about how he misses it.

yak yak yak yak.............it dont mean a thing.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 08:36 am
@hawkeye10,
I would say Dwight is a bit blameless, but I can't because he signed a one year deal and should be producing more than he has been...

But to be honest, I would not want to play for a team long term if I had to deal with egomaniacs like Kobe, and Phil myself...regardless of how good these men are at the game...and their positions...

To whoever stated the notion that Kobe should just be traded, since he is near the beginning of the end, and who you could get for him in return...It is not really a bad idea...And it honesty would probably be the best thing they could do for the future of the franchise...but the problem is, is that after all he has done in his career, the Lakers have an unspoken etiquette...and are going to give Kobe everything till he retires, and keep him there, and any new comer would have to deal with his attitude...
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:37 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I don't have a problem with his ego, simply pointing out that his mouth is writing checks that his old body can no longer cash.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 12:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes...I am sorry mate if I misunderstood you...I definitely agree with you on that...

I was saying that I could sympathize why Dwight/someone would actually not want to even play with Kobe or for Phil...

If I was a pro bball player, I definitely would not want to be there, and would be more interested in going to somewhere new like Brooklyn myself...
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:20 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Not knowing who will own the team, with all of the front office mistakes of late to include the treatment of jackson and picking the current coach who is a horible fit for the team, and with no indication that Kobe is capable of aging gracefully....I agree with you.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 04:59 am

kobe tore his achilles last night.

"I made a move that I make a million times and it just popped," said Bryant.

can you say "one and done" (assuming they hold on to the 8th playoff spot)?
Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 08:41 am
@Region Philbis,
Having gone through an Achilles tear (90% severed) I can sympathize. this happened to me 28 yrs ago. It's not any fun. When it happened I was playing basketball and it felt like someone hit the bottom of my calf with a bat.

It takes about 1.5-2 months to heal and then 3 more months to build your leg muscles back up. They operated on it to reattach it. The week prior to the operation was murder ...nasty pain...dragging my leg up and down stairs was not fun.

I hope he comes back. Watching Kobe is still a lot of fun.

I don't think Lakers will make it into the playoffs.