The far right rewrites history

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:28 pm
Exactly Set!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:30 pm
Babycakes wrote:
HB - Do you find it embarrassing that you have offered a puffed-up pretense of answering my request, but have not actually answered it at all? Can you CITE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE that you claim calls upon anyone to "avoid the full truth of our history just so we feel good about ourselves" or can't you?

HB did not write "avoid the full truth of our history just so we feel good about ourselves." Umbagog wrote that. As i said, you are trying to call HB for not defending something he did not write.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:35 pm
Set - Well, that's a different complaint. Hmmm. Is it your contention that you think the author intends schools to teach only that Western civilization was/is a good thing?

I guess I assume that schools in America would naturally want to teach what's good about America, just as I'd expect schools in Denmark to teach what's good about America. (Just kidding, I'd expect them to teach what's good about Luxemburg.) (Sorry, still kidding there, but I think you get my point.) Very Happy

I disagree with the notion that one can't focus on teaching what's positive about western culture without also teaching about the postive contributions other cultures have had. You may see it differently (and if so, I honestly respect your opinion) but I look around me and around the world and on the whole it appears to me that Western culture is turning out to be superior to anything one might call "non-Western" culture. Why shouldn't children be taught to be proud of that, while still being taught about the positive contributions of other cultures?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:36 pm
[Sometimes - very, very rarely, to be honest - I get some naughty thoughts, like

no-one wants to get an heart operation by a first-year medical school student, but everyone knows all about history after having had looked at a Hagar the Horrible comic.]

:wink:
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:36 pm
Scrat wrote:
Setanta - Oh, come on! You are way too smart to fall into the inference trap these yokels have set for themselves. It is simply disingenuous to pretend that calling for a focus on teaching citizens to have an appreciation for the ideals and principles that brought us to where we are today in any way equates to a call to deny the wrongs that have occurred along the way.

Again, you haven't actually looked at Tancredo's website, have you?

Quote:
Now, you might easily argue that the teaching should be neutral in tone; neither pushing to leave a positive impression nor a negative one,

This is exactly what I and the rest of those of us capable of independent thought are advocating.

Quote:
but if our choice is (as it clearly is right now) between teaching children that America is what it is because of bad things done by bad people, or teaching them that we are who we are because of the good things done by good people among us,

This is the fallacy Tancredo presents, and you (among many others of your less than discerning brehteren) appear to have bought into. It is fallacious. The manichean choice you present is simple the result of poor reasoning skills.

Quote:
I'll take the latter,

This then becomes indoctirnation, rather than education. GRanted, it has worked wonders in Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and North Korea. Do you admire these nations so that you wish to model the US' education system after them?

Quote:
and be sure that we also teach children about the mistakes we've made along the way.

Which Tancredo's plan, and yours, if you agree so wholeheartedly with him, expressly disagrees with doing.

Quote:
This nation is not simply the sum of our mistakes nor the sum of our achievements, it is the sum of both.

You a,de perfect sense. Was it painful? Wink

Quote:
I am proud of our ideals and our positive accomplishments in the world, but I am also ashamed of our mistakes and know that we must teach about them so that we don't replicate them. However, I find value in viewing those mistakes as the result of thinking and action that ran contrary to our ideals, rather than evidence that we as a society have no ideals.

Again, no on is imply that this is the case, except for Tancredo and (by your favouring of his arguement) you.

Quote:
There is nothing in the article that suggests that anyone deny or ignore any facts of our history. If it did, I'd find fault with that along with you.

Again, I wonder if you bothered to look at the website.

Quote:
But it doesn't. It suggests that our children are being indoctrinated to think badly of the culture in which they will live and work and whose future they will have a hand in shaping.

That is exactly what Tancredo, using out of context quotes from textbooks and professors, wishes to have you believe. congratulations, you earned your gullibility badge. This website is a wonder of manipulation and propoganda in action. And you, young whatever, have proudly allowed yourself to be suborned to this casue.

Quote:
I would prefer they shape it with hands led by optimism and idealism, not shame and self-loathing.

Agin, this dichotomy is false. It needs to be neither pne way or the other. How about avoiding "good" and "bad" as the examples of determinants imposed by poor thinking skills that they are?

Quote:
That's the issue here, not historical accuracy.

No, the issue is Tancredo and Co.'s attempt to discard historical accuracy in favour of "patriotism."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:39 pm
hobitbob wrote:

Quote:
but if our choice is (as it clearly is right now) between teaching children that America is what it is because of bad things done by bad people, or teaching them that we are who we are because of the good things done by good people among us,

This is the fallacy Tancredo presents, and you (among many others of your less than discerning brehteren) appear to have bought into. It is fallacious. The manichean choice you present is simple the result of poor reasoning skills.

HB, what is the fallacy? You use this word a lot in cases where I'm not sure you have a fallacy to name. Could you explain what fallacy this is?

"Fallacy" shouldn't just be a nice sounding word to use in argument. Are you saying that the dualism is the fallacy?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:40 pm
Because it is historically dishonest to claim that the achievements of European/American societies are the product of western culture. These societies are successful precisely because of a thousand years of blending ideas, inventions and the productions of societies from all over the world. To focus of "western civilization" without acknowledging the extent to which "western civilization" was actually an increasingly global blend of culture and ideas is not teaching history, it is puking up propaganda.

As fore what my contention is, why don't you click on the links HB provided, and read the resolutions the author proposes. They're pretty sad--and, by constantly appealing to "western culture" without providing a definition, they are perniciously vague. History is all about specificity, not vague impressions. Walter said it best: "History is the discipline that studies the chronological record of events (as affecting a nation or people), based on a critical examination of source materials and usually presenting an explanation of their causes . . . (emphasis added).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:42 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

"Fallacy" shouldn't just be a nice sounding word to use in argument.

You should read some essays of historians in history magazines or reviews of books in H-Net ... Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
Because it is historically dishonest to claim that the achievements of European/American societies are the product of western culture.

Perhaps, but in the quoted segment that HB is calling a fallacy this is not an element.

I haven't read this discussion and am not trying to weigh in on anyone's side. I'm just wondering what HB is calling a fallacy. He usues the word a lot and I rarely see it as anything but rhetorical in effect. Perhaps he has a fallacy in mind and I'm asking if that is so.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:43 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

You should read some essays of historians in history magazines or reviews of books in H-Net ... Laughing

Yes.. unfortunate;y the word is very frequently used as a rhetorical device.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:50 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
hobitbob wrote:

Quote:

HB, what is the fallacy? You use this word a lot in cases where I'm not sure you have a fallacy to name. Could you explain what fallacy this is?

The fallacy orpesented by Tancredo is that teachers are only teaching Western Civilization as an evil influence, and the only solution is to teach the supremacy of Western Civilization (consider the title of his project: Our HEritage, Our Hope.) Consider the Examples
chosen by his staff. they are heavily edited, out of context quotes designed to present the impression that students are being taught to be "anti-American."
The fallacy presented is that their is only a "choice" between patriotic and anti-patriotic models of education. This fallacy ignores the actual historical record. Tancredo and his ilk are interested in political indoctrination, not in the actual teaching of history. By reducing the broader subject of curriculum design to a simplistic "either, or" dichotomy, they suceed in reducing the complexity of the debate to a sort of sandlot "I'm right, and you are wrong" mentality.
At the heart of this is the issue of what we wish our schools mission to be? Are they to teach students to ask questions and reason, and to sift through teh record for their own answers, or are we to relegate the role of public education to producing "good citizens" who will simply obey their betters? This is an oversimplification of the arguement, but it seems to sum it up.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:53 pm
Fair enough, so you are alledging a dualistic fallacy on Tancredo's part.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:54 pm
Indeed. A fallacy that he has actually created in order to provoke outrage.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:54 pm
.... and that was done from 1933 until 1945 in my "patria"!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:58 pm
The fact that Tancredo has been quoted as saying he "admired Hitler's stance on immigration (Westword, last summer, archived and unavailable without payed subscription, unfortunately Sad )" doesn't add to his credibility
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:59 pm
HB - I'm going to give you an opportunity you did not give me: Lay off the personal insults and I too will keep it civil. If you can't be civil though, do not expect it from me.

Now, I understand your point of view as you have stated it. Much as you'd like to dismiss mine as the result of the thinking of a weak intellect you'd fare better to show by citation of fact or the use of logic that my point of view is wrong.

Public schools in America currently teach that global warming is a proven scientific fact. This is false. Global warming is a theory undergoing debate even now. Why teach otherwise, unless you have some goal in mind?

Public schools currently teach that the environment is in danger and is getting progressively worse. This is false. By every available measure the environment is cleaner today than it was 20, 30, 50 years ago. Why teach otherwise, unless you have some goal in mind?

These are just two instances of the kinds of propaganda currently being taught as scientific fact in this country's schools. Any intelligent person can check my facts: these things ARE being taught and are NOT factually accurate. It is reasonable to assume that there is a motive behind choosing to teach children things that are not true. It is also evident that the things being taught lend themselves towards pushing children in a liberal direction in their thinking: the environment is in danger, industry is bad, our culture is bad...

Against this background of factual evidence, I view the article cited here and find the notion that children are being taught an anti-Western bias quite plausible. I also find nothing inherently sinister in the notion that American schools might teach children to admire and respect the ideals of our nation and to think of the country in which they live with pride. I'd like our children to grow up wanting to hold this country to its ideals and to make it an even better place than it is today. I don't think you do that by first teaching them to be ashamed of their homeland.

Having written that, I understand that you disagree. I'd like to think that it is possible for us to do so without the simple fact of our disagreement being considered proof that one of us is mentally deficient. I think it is possible for intelligent people to see things differently. But, what I do not think intelligent people see differently is the text on a page. I find no language or phrasing in the citation in question that justifies the claim that the author wishes to deny any of our nation's history. That claim simply has no basis in available fact. That was my point. If you actually think there is a sentence or passage which does call for such revision of history, please cite it so that I can be better informed, BUT simply decrying my request for such evidence does nothing to bolster your position or to weaken mine. The author either takes the position in question, or does not.

And again, I would much prefer to keep this civil than not. I'll watch your response to see whether you feel the same.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:04 pm
Scrat, I find your poor reading comprehension skills inexplicable. To be fair, I have no desire to engange in dialogue with you (civil or otherwise). Long ago you stated you would never respond to any of my posts, and I wish you would live up to your word. You have contributed nothing to this debate. I doubt you will ever contribute anything of substance to any debate here.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:08 pm
Everybody just lay off the personal insults ... what's so hard to understand about that?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:12 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Everybody just lay off the personal insults ... what's so hard to understand about that?

The aswer seems simple. Insults allow one to steer the discussion away from the subject, which a certain personage apparently is uncomfortable with. Why this is I do not know, nor do I really care to. Set, Walter, Kraven, Little Red, Farmer, and I seem to be able to discuss the issue without resorting to namecalling. I have no doubt that you would be able to do the same. I am, in fact, eager for your opinion, since you appear to have a fairly firm grasp on history and on the educational process in the US. Instead of discussion of the issue, we have wasted the better part of two pages on one person's temper tantrums.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:13 pm
HB... please don't compliment me when you are trying to make a negative point about someone else through exclusion of the compliment. I don't want to be involved in it.

And if you are going to do that you might want to take yourself off that short list as well as the sole point was an oblique insult.
0 Replies