What are your views on the steriods, Hall Of Fame debate?

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 02:01 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I would have to say, at the time being...I would have to agree, that since these drugs did alter their performances which directly contributes to their success, and predicates their entrance into the Hall...I would have to say that the moral thing to do would be to boot them out forever...

And not let them in with an asterik...And it is different than other dolts who did bad things but still played the game at a HOF level...And should be there despite being pricks...

But the problem to me is how to prove certain individuals have used them....

Since a couple have already lied to a grand jury...

But if they were to be let in...They should have some sort of blemish that says they were found to have cheated...So that it does not make it appear that they never existed in the game itself...

"A CHEATERS HALL OF FAME SHAME MAYBE?"

And your other point about rationizing a cheater cause of bias...I try not to do this...And hope I never do....

I liked Ryan Braun...And had some very valuable rookie Autographs of his...

I can't stand him anymore...Specifically because of the way he got off, and dodged the bullet because of a technical flaw in the legal system, in which he never desputed he cheated...

And I would sell the cards now, if I even thought I could get 3/4 what I paid for them....

And it seems to me...Another point I would like to say...Is that most who cheat now, knowing the consequences....Probably do it, cause they may not even care about the Hall Anymore...But because they want to produce for huge contracts....The money is just rediculous....And is probably a big reason why a lot even chose to cheat today, knowing it may ban them forever...And another reason why, is cause guys who are just not good enough, have no shot to make the hall...Or even play, but if they take steriods...They will at least play, and make a lot of money...till they get caught

What a jerk Canseco is...I mean Really...

I hate to say this...But I bet 80-90% take steriods in football...But at least there was no jerk*** who sold everyone out cause he was mad at baseball affliates....And we still love the game...Because we are not always hearing about another dude doping...And football keeps quiet about it...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 09:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Without extended use of drugs, Barry Bonds would not have had the same achievements he managed in his career.
the really sad aspect is barry (arguably) already had HOF credentials before he started juicing,
but decided he wanted to out-do mcgwire and sosa.

he was done in by his own inflated ego...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 05:02 pm
Really kinda dispicable that no one gets in because of Bonds, Clemens, Pal, Sosa, McGwire...

There is no reason that Piazza, and Schilling did not get in...

Along with others I have not looked over...
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 05:08 pm
My view? I don't give a rat's ass one way or another. Very Happy
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 05:57 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

many BWAA members refuse to vote for candidates in their first year on the ballot.

piazza should get in by the end of the decade...
in schilling's case, i don't think 216 W's is enough...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 06:00 pm
@Region Philbis,
Dirty water.

I'm fine with Piazza, and I don't honestly know Schillings.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 06:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yes mate...But Schilling has the second highest k's to walk ratio ever...And is one of the most dominant post-season pitchers of all time...
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 06:05 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

still not enough, imo.

check out his stats -- he had quite a few mediocre seasons, and a career 3.46 ERA...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 06:09 pm
@Region Philbis,
I respect your opinion mate...I would vote him in myself...

But you agree with my point, that it is wrong that no one did?

Or do you agree with the voters because of Bonds, Clemens, Sosa?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 05:40 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

if i had a say in the matter, i would never vote for bonds, clemens, sosa, palmiero or mcgwire.

i also think it's wrong to assume that "everybody was cheating".

many players were clean, and their stats suffered in comparison to the cheaters...
spitfire88

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 05:54 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I do not know if they will ever get in the HOF, maybe years down the road when its a new wave of sportswriters voting. Albeit they were cheaters, lets not downplay their contributions to the game. Throughout the late 70's and 80's the MLB had fallen of the map and dramatically lost the interest of the people. Because of Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa hitting 60-70+ homeruns every year, interest in baseball came roaring back and was in the national spotlight again. Dislike them for lack of character, but don't discount the fact that they are responsible for the game being where it is today.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 08:55 am
@spitfire88,
Quote:
Throughout the late 70's and 80's the MLB had fallen of the map
i've been a fan of the sport since the mid-70's, and i don't remember there being a downtick in popularity during that timeframe.

it seemed baseball was vastly popular until the 1994 strike wiped out the playoffs...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 09:49 am
@Region Philbis,
I agree mate...I would never vote them in...And think others should have got in...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 09:53 am
@spitfire88,
I do believe that MLB manipulated the system a bit....And had everyone cheering and watching Sosa, and McGwire...While probably already knowing that they were doping....

And used that...While knowing they were probably cheating...

And then it became a huge problem when Canseco blew the lid because he was never given a shot at 500 homers....

And we seen just how many people were cheating...

I think that guy should not be allowed to ever come within 100 miles of the HOF ever....
0 Replies

spitfire88

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 10:45 am
@Region Philbis,
You are correct. I meant late 80's and the 90's interest was down, until homerun records were being broken.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 02:02 am
@joefromchicago,
I know this is off topic...But any fantasy hockey teams Joe?

I will tell you my roster if you are interested...
0 Replies