What are your views on the steriods, Hall Of Fame debate?

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:34 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Eek, forgot I was playin' Fantasy Fewtbawl.

'Course my results seem to be the same whether I work on it or not. Fantasy Baseball's a different story.

And yeah, RP and I are married (I thought the world knew that). 20 years last May.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:45 am
Steroids have bad side effects. If athletes use them to become more competitive, it is their problem. The bottom line for me is that baseball is just a game and cycling is just a sport. I am more concerned about ethics in government.
djjd62

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:47 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
I am more concerned about ethics in government.

there should definitely be a government hall of shame, instant placement upon election
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:49 am
@jespah,
Very nice...I am happy that you 2 found eachother...Wink
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 08:36 am
@jespah,
I am actually positive we had talked one day...It was the same exact day we added each other as friends...And I had seen a picture of RP with you on your page...But I did not know that RP was one and the same...Till I read it in another sports thread...And that is how I knew...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 09:03 am
This is a bit obscure...But I chose to post it hear cause there are a bunch of people who are posting here right now...And I was not going to create a thread for a simple question like this one...

Does anyone have a guess or know what religion Arian Foster embraces? Or why he does that bow after each touchdown?

I know I could find it, but it is probably faster to hear it from other intellectuals...who may already know...

It seems like he may embrace a Chinese traditional religion...(Buddhism, Taoism, Sihkism, Confusionism,) etc...But it is just an assuption on my part...

I was wondering if anyone had ever looked it up to find out?

Or if it has another meaning?

Thanks for the time...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:54 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Yep, RP = the dude, Mr. j, the guy who kills the really big bugs.

The Dude Abides.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 04:57 pm
@jespah,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy My sister is petrified of spiders...

We do not have many crazy bugs here...except ticks...

And we have a spider called the brown recluse...which is very nasty indeed...it is I think the 3rd or 4th most poisonious spider in the world...Thank God I have never seen one...

I have seen pictures of what the bites look like and it is just very nasty...

The skin just rots away...And I don't think anything can be done to stop it...
jespah

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 05:15 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Eek.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 12:42 pm
They will never tell the truth about using though (Clemens and Bonds) So you can't really expect them too...You kinda have to codle them like they did with Pete Rose...

If you want to see if Clemens is lying...Maybe they should ask him what cup size he is, when he goes into Victoria Secrect (TM)? 2 Cents

And maybe he will admit something he did not know he had?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 01:27 pm
I presently agree with people being listed, because they played so well, and have annotation re their cheating type rule breaking shortcomings. Whether those go into separate categories - probably.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 01:30 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I don't remember your talking too much, SpadeMaster. I tend to be interested in your ffb comments.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 01:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Osso...Big Tailed? Or someone else? There were some that seemed to not want me there...Or were bothered..And there were some that seemed to be too much for me...

I am not sure who everyone was...

But knew about 2/3 the members...

If you go and look at the website...I use to talk all the time...I am on the message board with about 6 different topics...

I think some did not like this...

I think I understand why...And had never done that before in a league...But it is because the members were from A2K...

I think that some told me this...indirectly...or directly

And I agree with them...And too me 14 people from A2K in a league with me...may be being around the same people too much...

So I think it would be best not to do it again...But if I do...I am just gonna be silent...all year long...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 02:23 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I'm big tailed sand dogs - always use some doggy name, and live in what I call sand land, New Mexico.

I've historically bothered many people! Don't worry. Even better, keep on with the a2k ffb, and start your own smaller one as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 02:29 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Oh, stop with the silence. I'd be surprised if the commissioner wanted you to quiet up. You give a bunch of us someone to talk with. I've liked your engagement.

We have generally aimed for twelve - but would prefer, I am guessing, something like 20 - 24, so we could have two leagues, each with more choices.

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 03:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Osso...For the different perspective...I will look into playing again...

GL in finals! Wink
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:39 pm
@Region Philbis,
The character clause is applied so inconsistently that's it's worse than useless. Sportswriters tend to equate a player's "character" with their accessibility and ability to provide good story-lines.

With steroids, a number of voting sportswriters have set themselves with the role of the defender of MLB's integrity. More times than not, it seems to me that they are merely satisfying their own egos.

Having said this, I don't think that players that have used steroids and other performance enhancing drugs over an extended period of time deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Ty Codd was a horrible person, but it didn't directly translate to his performance on the field and the records he held.

Micky Mantle was an alcoholic and it certainly didn't help him on the field.

Without extended use of drugs, Barry Bonds would not have had the same achievements he managed in his career.

Some players have taken steroids to help them recover more quickly from injuries. If it could be proven that this was the limit of their usage, I wouldn't have a problem with them making the Hall. The problem, of course, is that it's virtually impossible to know how long they used the stuff, and so a default position that holds if they are ever caught, they are barred seems to be the way to go.

However it works isn't a great concern of mine. I love baseball, but not, in any way, because of the Hall of Fame.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thanks for the Reply Finn...And welcome...I have always wanted to talk to you...because you seem very interesting...

You points are the exact reasons why I bounce back and forth from letting them in or not...And why I created this thread...
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:50 pm
american culture fully embraces cheating. those who cheated for many years successfully should be awarded a gold star by their name, and of course should be given their rightful place in the hall of fame.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 12:31 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You're more than welcome.

There doesn't seem to be a clear answer with which everyone will agree, because, in large part, a lot of fans have a personal favorite who they would like to see make the Hall despite steroid use, and whose usage they are willing to rationalize.

It makes for good bull-sessions.