I hope you all are talking to your Representatives.

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:07 am
We need a few Republicans in the House to agree to extend a tax cut on the first $250,000 of income. Since this is the first $250,000 of everyone's income this is a great deal. The tax is only on the part of income you make that is over $250,000.

If you think this is a good idea, then call your Representative, particularly if he or she is a Republican. Tell them them pass this thing.

This is one of those times where calling your Congress member really matters. So take part in your government and make that call.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 3,344 • Replies: 30

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:14 am
@maxdancona,
Done.
Joe(This is a good idea.)Nation
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 01:00 pm
The president agrees with me

Quote:
First, if Congress does nothing, every family will see their income taxes automatically go up at the beginning of next year. A typical middle class family of four will see their income taxes rise by $2,200. We can’t let that happen. Our families can’t afford it, and neither can our economy.

The second option is better. Right now, Congress can pass a law that would prevent a tax hike on the first $250,000 of everybody’s income. Everybody. That means that 98 percent of Americans and 97 percent of small businesses wouldn’t see their income taxes go up at all. And even the wealthiest Americans would get a tax cut on the first $250,000 of their incomes.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 06:34 pm
I hope you all are talking to your Representatives about the war crimes that have seen your tax dollars being used to commit heinous terrorist actions against the people of Iraq and Afghanistan.

And they are only the current round of people who have been treated to US beneficence.

Do you think that the workers on that factory floor where Obama is delivering his propaganda are making toys for the children of Iraq or Afghanistan?

This is way over the top. Talk about conceit. Gross conceit! Unbelievable levels of conceit!

What in heavens name is wrong with you people?

Why not let your congressmen ['men'???] know how much having their slaughtered sons and daughters, aunts, uncles and cousins, fathers, mothers, grandmothers and grandfathers might mean to any of the millions of Iraqi or Afghans who lost their loved ones due to YOUR failure to put adequate controls on YOUR rapacious war criminals.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 08:43 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
We need a few Republicans in the House to agree to extend a tax cut on the first $250,000 of income. Since this is the first $250,000 of everyone's income this is a great deal. The tax is only on the part of income you make that is over $250,000.

If you think this is a good idea, then call your Representative, particularly if he or she is a Republican. Tell them them pass this thing.

This is one of those times where calling your Congress member really matters. So take part in your government and make that call.

I think it is a bad idea. The tax increase on the rich will not do nearly enough to balance the budget. We need to increase taxes on the middle class too.

On top of that, let's implement a European-style value-added tax.
JTT

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 08:54 pm
@oralloy,
Gee, you are the last person I would expect this conceit from, Oralboy, you being such a kind and generous person.
0 Replies

RST

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 09:05 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I think it is a bad idea. The tax increase on the rich will not do nearly enough to balance the budget. We need to increase taxes on the middle class too.

On top of that, let's implement a European-style value-added tax.

I disagree.
When the middle class have a pocket full of money, some hot shot entrepreneur or existing company is going to try a chunk of it naturally, hence investment, new facilities, jobs. Expanding and strengthening the middle class is the key.
The wealth gap continues to widen. When will you realize that the tax code is completely broken? As the rich earn more, their effective rates seem to get smaller and the gap increases. Reagan closed loopholes once, and the rich screamed because they ended up paying a hell of a lot more. I don’t hear much about that side of Reagan these days.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 10:23 pm
@oralloy,
I'm really opposed to a value added tax. It lets congress sneak up with tax increase, kind of under the radar. Anyhow, if you go for a straight forward VAT, it's going to be horribly regresive. If you start making exceptions, you add to complexity - like is a frozen dinner a grocery, or is it a restaurant meal, which could have different rates and protocols.

I do agree that we are going to need some tax increases, and in all honest, the middle class is really where the money is. We can tax the bejezus out of the billionaires, but we're going to have to find a way to get more billionaires to tax if we don't also tax the middle class.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:35 pm
@roger,
Roger, I agree with you over the long term.

But, I would like to see any raise to middle class taxes happen after the economy is stable again. Taxes on the middle class have a greater impact on consumer spending, and economic activity in general, than taxes on the very rich have.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:02 am
By all means register your opinion on this issue with your representatives in Congress.

Understand of course that what this really is is a continuation of the current level of taxation and not a tax cut. If you make less than $200,000 individually or $250,000 as a family, your tax rate will not change. You will not see more money in your pocket.

President Obama and the Democrats have cleverly positioned this as tax relief for the Middle Class which Republicans oppose. Nothing could be further than the truth. Both the Democrat and Republican proposals will result in the same tax relief for the Middle Class.

The difference in the two proposals is of course that the Republicans want to extend this relief to all Americans, and Democrats want to exclude The Rich from it.

It's pretty clear that a majority of Americans want someone other than themselves to pay the bill for the largess of the federal government and who else but The Rich?

Anyone with half of a brain knows that the proposed tax increases on The Rich will not come close to maintaining our entitlement programs on their current trajectory and resolving the federal debt burden. Nor, by the way, will taking every penny The Rich have.

So...what is only a few miles down the track? An increase in the taxes of the Middle Class.

It will be interesting to see how President Obama explains to the Middle Class how he just has to raise their taxes after getting them to believe he wouldn't.

Look for a VAT, because as Roger notes, it suits dissembling politicians.

We're about to test whether or not the frog in that pot of water on the stove slowing climbing to a boil, tries to jump out when the first bubbles break the surface.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:05 am
@roger,
We will need tax increases when our government has shown us that they are effectively and efficently spending what we already give them, and there are still things we want them to buy with our money.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
We're about to test whether or not the frog in that pot of water on the stove slowing climbing to a boil, tries to jump out when the first bubbles break the surface.

Yes, let's test whether the frog leaps or not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 01:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, that kind of rubs another sore spot. We can pretty much take it for granted that the old tax cuts are going to expire in one form or another. So, what about spending? Are taxes definately going to be *higher next year, while spending cuts don't quite materialize? I have kind of come to expect that spending cuts turn out to be a decrease in the rate of increase.

* I say "higher" to avoid discussion of whether an expiring cut is an increase or not. I don't much care which it's called.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:17 am

No, we don't need any republicans to support this... republicans need to step
back and let President Obama fall on his face and fail to do further damage.
RST

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:18 am
@H2O MAN,
That's very American of you to think that.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 02:33 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I haven't talked to my Rep. in years.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 07:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I half agree with you Finn.

I am perfectly fine with the idea that the rich should pay more to help with the deficit. The majority of Americans agree with this. This is perfectly reasonable to most of us. I agree that eventually the middle class should pay more taxes. I don't think this is a problem. I just think that we should hold off until the economy is better.

You are acting like these ideas are somehow a problem when in fact they are reasonable to most Americans and ideas that are not new, but are familiar in our history.

In my opinion Obama is plotting a reasonable course between economic growth and fiscal responsibility. I think most Americans will agree with him, and in a democracy this is what really matters.

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 07:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

I haven't talked to my Rep. in years.

I'm a regular thorn in my Rep's side. Helped him return to his day job come January. He's probably not much interested in my thoughts these days. Not that he ever showed much interest in them anyway....
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 09:08 am
My rep is Jim DeMint. He doesn't live in the same universe I do, so he doesn't listen to me.

Help me with my math. The admin suggested 1.4 trillion in additional income over ten years. The numbers I saw said that those making over $200,000 a year are 3% of the taxed households, or about 4,000,000 households. So 1,400 over 4 is $350 per household? Really, that is what we are fighting about? Even change it so only 1% pays it, it is still $1,400 dollars?

Are we argueing about people making over $250,000 a year paying less than $500 more in taxes?

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 02:17 pm
@IRFRANK,
I realize that I was only off by 1,000. Makes a difference. I still think the rich should pay up. Anyone but me.

DUH

0 Replies