The Passion of the Liberal

Fedral

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:10 am
And now, the piece-de-resistance, an article by my favorite lady:

The passion of the liberal[/u]
By:Ann Coulter
March 4, 2004

In the dozens and dozens of panic-stricken articles the New York Times has run on Mel Gibson's movie, "The Passion of the Christ," the unavoidable conclusion is that liberals haven't the vaguest idea what Christianity is. The Times may have loopy ideas about a lot of things, but at least when they write about gay bathhouses and abortion clinics, you get the sense they know what they're talking about.

But Christianity just doesn't ring a bell. The religion that has transformed Western civilization for two millennia is a blank slate for liberals. Their closest reference point is "conservative Christians," meaning people you're not supposed to hire. And these are the people who carp about George Bush's alleged lack of "intellectual curiosity."

The most amazing complaint, championed by the Times and repeated by all the know-nothing secularists on television, is that Gibson insisted on "rubbing our faces in the grisly reality of Jesus' death." The Times was irked that Gibson "relentlessly focused on the savagery of Jesus' final hours" - at the expense of showing us the Happy Jesus. Yes, Gibson's movie is crying out for a car chase, a sex scene or maybe a wise-cracking orangutan.

The Times ought to send one of its crack investigative reporters to St. Patrick's Cathedral at 3 p.m. on Good Friday before leaping to the conclusion that "The Passion" is Gibson's idiosyncratic take on Christianity. In a standard ritual, Christians routinely eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ, aka "the Lamb of God." The really serious Catholics do that blood- and flesh-eating thing every day, the sickos. The Times has just discovered the tip of a 2,000-year-old iceberg.

But the loony-left is testy with Gibson for spending so much time on Jesus' suffering and death while giving "short shrift to Jesus' ministry and ideas" - as another Times reviewer put it. According to liberals, the message of Jesus, which somehow Gibson missed, is something along the lines of "be nice to people" (which to them means "raise taxes on the productive").

You don't need a religion like Christianity, which is a rather large and complex endeavor, in order to flag that message. All you need is a moron driving around in a Volvo with a bumper sticker that says "be nice to people." Being nice to people is, in fact, one of the incidental tenets of Christianity (as opposed to other religions whose tenets are more along the lines of "kill everyone who doesn't smell bad and doesn't answer to the name Mohammed"). But to call it the "message" of Jesus requires ... well, the brain of Maureen Dowd.

In fact, Jesus' distinctive message was: People are sinful and need to be redeemed, and this is your lucky day because I'm here to redeem you even though you don't deserve it, and I have to get the crap kicked out of me to do it. That is the reason He is called "Christ the Redeemer" rather than "Christ the Moron Driving Around in a Volvo With a 'Be Nice to People' Bumper Sticker on It."

The other complaint from the know-nothing crowd is that "The Passion" will inspire anti-Semitic violence. If nothing else comes out of this movie, at least we finally have liberals on record opposing anti-Semitic violence. Perhaps they should broach that topic with their Muslim friends.

One Times review of "The Passion" said: "To be a Christian is to face the responsibility for one's own most treasured sacred texts being used to justify the deaths of innocents." At best, this is like blaming Jodie Foster for the shooting of Ronald Reagan. But the reviewer somberly warned that a Christian should "not take the risk that one's life or work might contribute to the continuation of a horror." So the only thing Christians can do is shut up about their religion. (And no more Jodie Foster movies!)

By contrast, in the weeks after 9-11, the Times was rushing to assure its readers that "prominent Islamic scholars and theologians in the West say unequivocally that nothing in Islam countenances the Sept. 11 actions." (That's if you set aside Muhammad's many specific instructions to kill non-believers whenever possible.) Times columnists repeatedly extolled "the great majority of peaceful Muslims." Only a religion with millions of practitioners trying to kill Americans and Jews is axiomatically described as "peaceful" by liberals.

As I understand it, the dangerous religion is the one whose messiah instructs: "if one strikes thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also" and "Love your enemies ... do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that persecute and calumniate you." The peaceful religion instructs: "Slay the enemy where you find him." (Surah 9:92).

Imitating the ostrich-like posture of certain German Jews who ignored the growing danger during Hitler's rise to power, today's liberals are deliberately blind to the real threats of violence that surround us. Their narcissistic self-image requires absolute solicitude toward angry savages plotting acts of terrorism. The only people who scare them are the ones who worship a Jew.

Some famous 'Coulterisms':

At the risk of giving away the ending, it's all liberals' fault.

Liberals hate America, they hate flag-wavers, they hate abortion opponents, they hate all religions except Islam, post 9/11. Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like Liberals do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor plumbing by now.

Why not go to war just for oil? We need oil. What do Hollywood celebrities imagine fuels their private jets? How do they think their cocaine is delivered to them?

At least when right-wingers rant, there's a point

Liberals can't just come out and say they want to take more of our money, kill babies, and discriminate on the basis of race
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,636 • Replies: 51
No top replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:17 am
That woman is seriously f*cked up in the head. If she's really your "favorite lady", you've got problems. Those "Coulterisms" left me speechless. And not in a good way.

I'll come back to this later when I have the time...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:39 am
Miss Coulter wrote:
The religion that has transformed Western civilization for two millennia is a blank slate for liberals.

Puh-leeze, Annie, do you expect anyone other than a head-in-the-sand christian or an historically clueless conservative to buy that? Ask the roughly 5,000 people executed by the Inquisition, or the roughly 30,000 (reasonable estimates run to 80,000) mostly women executed by the Protestants as witches what they think of that proposition. Christianity in the middle ages wasn't about transformation, it was about the maintenance of the status quo. What gave rise to the Renaissance were the texts preserved by Muslims and translated for christians by Jews which were ripped from the cold dead hands of Arab and Berber librarians by monks who followed the Reconquista and the Crusaders.

Another tour de force, Fed, thank you for your continuing contribution to comic relief at A2K.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:50 am
Miss Annie wrote:
That is the reason He is called "Christ the Redeemer" rather than "Christ the Moron Driving Around in a Volvo With a 'Be Nice to People' Bumper Sticker on It."

Isn't there something about "Prince of Peace"?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:53 am
Geez Fedral, criticize liberals all you want, but find a better source that actually makes some damn sense rather than just filibusters around an issue. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:56 am
Who is this windbag, I'll remember to NOT waste my time again if I see her name.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:21 pm
AT the risk of being critical, I'd say fedral and Coulter alike have no clue about the message of the passion.

It's pretty straightforward. You say Satan sneaking around in the various crowds during the course of the Passion, and his angst when Christ allowed it to take its course.

Look what they did to Jesus for preaching love, acceptance and redemption, all in direct contrast to the existing religious mores of the day.

What they did to Christ is more than half the story. It's all of the story. You can't understand Christ without having intimate knowledge of the horror they inflicted upon him. You can't ignore what they did either.

While fedral and Coulter don't actually pick up the whip anymore, they are still using words to strip the flesh off of the backs of those that disagree with them.

THAT is the mesage of the Passion of the Christ, and Gibson is profoundly accurate in choosing these times to display it in all its gore. To take this religious wisdom and politicize it, well, gooneybirds don't know enough to get out of the way of planes coming down the runway either.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:25 pm
What I find the most offensive is the idea that conservatives think they have exclusive rights to Christianity.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:31 pm
Fedral exhibits signs of paranoid schizophrenia, especially with all his alter egos on Abuzz.com. By all means, do continue to suggest people are amused by him. It's by far the worst insult you can throw at the paranoid.

Hi Prag! Or should I say, Dasher?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:33 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Fedral exhibits signs of paranoid schizophrenia, especially with all his alter egos on Abuzz.com. By all means, do continue to suggest people are amused by him. It's by far the worst insult you can throw at the paranoid.

Hi Prag! Or should I say, Dasher?

I have no earthly idea what you are talking about Umbagog?

I assume that Abuzz.com is another discussion board.

As to the names you posted, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting them, are they posters here on A2K ?
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:34 pm
The conservatives call themselves Christians, but they are really Evangelists, straight out of the business religion of conversion of the 19th century. Condemnation and judgment of others is not Christianity. Forgiveness and acceptance are the last two things conservatives will embrace. They feel they are superior to us, and we need to defer to their wisdom in this matter, which is a good definition of someone insane. As far as religions go, there is no greater evil in this world than the Christian Right. And I am sure they are about to unleash their evil upon the new civil rights movement brewing in this country. Let's hope so, actually, because they will expose themselves for the American traitors they are.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
Craven was right! You ARE a boon to the right!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:38 pm
Fedral wrote:

I have no earthly idea what you are talking about Umbagog?

I assume that Abuzz.com is another discussion board.

As to the names you posted, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting them, are they posters here on A2K ?

Every now and then someone here thinks they are very clever to have "outed" some reprehensible (to them) person from Abuzz.

This happens frequently and thus far the rate at which they are right is under 2 %. They are almost always dead wrong.

Of course this doens't stop them from reserving a special portion of their time to make a fool out of themselves in public. Rolling Eyes

Umbagog, as I have said before, you are a tremendous boon to the right. And that's sad (mainly cause I dislike the right's ideology and don't think they need help these days).
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:38 pm
Play dumb all you want, Fedral. You posted nearly identical dribble as Fedral here, and as Dasher there. No two individuals could come up with such complete and utter nonsense on their own. The words were even changed a little, but the denouncement against Clinton was identical. You fool no one anyway. The people here comment about your postings in an identical, if nicer manner. You aren't convincing anyone to believe in your delusions no matter what name you use or where you are.

Believe me, it is comforting to see this happening on Able2know like it is on Abuzz.com. It means people aren't so stupid as to buy into your crap, and that sets MY mind at ease, anyway.

You are a menace, spreading your hate like you do.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:39 pm
McGentrix wrote:

That was eerie. I'd not seen you post that (we posted at the same time).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:39 pm
Umbagog,

Quit the ad homs.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:42 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Every now and then someone here thinks they are very clever to have "outed" some reprehensible (to them) person from Abuzz.

This happens frequently and thus far the rate at which they are right is under 2 %. They are almost always dead wrong.

Now I understand Craven, I tried to log onto Abuzz, but they wont let you take a look before you register. (Something that aggravates the heck out of me.) I was a lurker on this board for a while before I registered and started posting. I really wanted to see what kind of things these people that Umb thought were me were posting. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:43 pm
Craven, you assume much based on little.
I researched this guy on Abuzz for months for a little freelancing project of mine. After comparing thousands of entries under about 10 names, it became clear a single author was at work.

He posted something here that he also posted on Abuzz the same day, a couple of days ago, and his work smacks of all those fake names on Abuzz too, right down to Annie being his lady.

I do not make accusations lightly for that matter either. Whether or not you choose to believe is of course your right. But I do not lie, nor do I obfuscate. I seek to add greater dimension to ideas people are floating around, nothing more.

His denial here is identical to the denials he makes on Abuzz too. It's a complete match. I know I am not wrong. I'll come back with the two identical posts on different websites in a few minutes. I have literally dozens and dozens of examples, but I will not bore people with all this.

I told him to play nice on Abuzz or else I would react. He didn't play nice.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:43 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

That was eerie. I'd not seen you post that (we posted at the same time).

That is a bit freaky.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:45 pm
Actually Abuzz lets you browse without registering. Thing is the site is no longer maintained so sometimes it will not load.

In the last year I haven't visited much because even on broadband sometimes pages take 10 minutes+ to load (depending on the time etc).

When the people here try to do Abuzz outing they are trying to compare someone with a troll over there.

And like I said they are wrong about 98% of the time.

McGentrix was another that someone tried to out. It's just another weak brand of ad hominem.
0 Replies