Things I want to know about the US (but was afraid to ask!)

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:12 pm
Grand Duke, I don't know why we put the month first, but I'm glad we do. It provides instant context. If your birthday falls on the tenth day of the tenth month, how do you say it? My birthday is 10 October?

The last edition of the Chicago Manual of Style (the style guide for most publishers, academics, and other informed types) announced that it would follow the European method of providing dates--day/month/year. Every publisher I worked for overrode the edict. The most recent edition has reverted to the American approach. This reminds me of the government's efforts to get Americans shifted to the metric system. No dice.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:21 pm
Roberta - I would say "10th of October". I guess it's just one of those cultural things that will never change. However, the terrorist attacks of 2001 are refered to here as "9/11" or "September 11th", as we have bowed to the US standard as the event took place in the US. If it had happened in London, it would have been different.

Interestingly, I use a piece of project planning software for the majority of my job. It's by an American company, but they had to adopt a style of dates that would suit the large foreign market. I believe it is referred to as the "military standard" or similar, and dates are written e.g. 10OCT04. This removed all confusion for US and foreign users, and only takes 1 extra digit.

I still reckon that the metric system is the only sensible method of measurment though!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 07:00 am
Grand Duke, You're probably right about the metric system. But it will never catch on here. And having the government behind the move to switch over doomed it from the start. Americans are resistant to such things.

Minor example: Many years ago, the powers that be in NYC decided to change the name of Sixth Avenue to Avenue of the Americas. Nobody asked Noo Yawkers. Although some of us reluctantly addressed mail to Avenue of the Americas, nobody referred to the street as such. I used to work on said street (in Rockefeller Center). I can't tell you how many weary and confused tourists I encountered wandering pathetically from Fifth Avenue to Seventh Avenue, looking for Sixth Avenue--cuz someone told them that something or some place was on Sixth Avenue. The city has finally bowed to the will of the people. There are now double street signs. Avenue of the Americas and Sixth Avenue. We are a stubborn lot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:28 am
One thing about felons is that they seem to have some recourse -- they can apply for (amnesty? an exception? something like that) and it is occasionally granted.

Lemme go look -- Jeb does this in Florida, I saw an article about it somewhere.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:33 pm
Not every state denies felons the right to vote. According to this article, only 13 states actually deny felons the right to vote: http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2003/MERC-May-01-Thu-2003/21207147.html
That's felons who've served their time, of course - folks in prison for life ain't voting.

PS Primaries - there are parts of the country - Massachusetts is one of them - where one party is so dominant that the primary election is often more of an issue than the general election, when you're talking about local races. In the recent election, the Presidency was one of the only races I voted on where there was more than one person running.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:39 pm
Jes, It's true. The primary races in NY are often more interesting than the general election. Lots of Democrats here--or used to be.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:37 pm
im here what you got kind sir?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:37 pm
Seed - Not sure if you've been in this thread before, but I'm often curious about many things American, and this is where kind people put me straight.

I thought the National Guard were a kind of national defence force who operate in the US in times of war, civil unrest etc. Was just curious why you are going abroad - especially to Germany and Egypt?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:43 pm
the national guard is what you think... but in times of war over seas they can be used as fillers. they are sent over to relieve those who have been in country for long periods of time. the reason im going to germany is because the national guard works like this. 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year. meaning you go to "drill" one weekend a month. and then for a period of 2 weeks (or 3 if going over seas) during some point in the year we do what is called Advanced Training (AT). When doing AT your unit has the option of going to any miltary post (seeing that there is a mission at that post) and where we are going in Germany just happens to need a maintance unit. Hope this isnt confusing...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:52 pm
Not at all mate. It makes sense now you've explained it. We have our Territorial Army here which fulfils a similar role. I'm not sure if any TA soldiers have been sent to battlefronts, but I do know that a proportion of British military medical staff sent to Iraq back in 2003 were regular doctors and nurses who were members of the TA. Like you, they do a weekend per month and two weeks per year.

So you have a civilian life as well?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:55 pm
that I do... maybe not an active one Wink but i have one Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:36 am
Dunno if this'll help ya or confuse ya, GD, but there are the Air National Guard and the Army National Guard, which are at end components of their parent services, and thus the overall US defense structure, but Guard units are more or less specific to particular states, the governor and legislature of the pertinent state interposing between the Department of Defense and the Guard unit at question in the Chain of Command of that Guard unit. There is no Naval Guard.

In a sense, The Guard is a military belonging to the states themselves - subject, of course, to Federal activation. Apart from the Fuard, each of the services has its own Reserve component, subordinate to its parent service directly. The governor of a state can "call out the guard" in times of disaster, civil unrest, or other calamity within that state. Reserve units on the other hand can be activated only at the Federal level.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:36 am
Seed in uniform <THUD>

Hey GD, good to see you again mate !
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:51 am
How do, G? Don't think I'll be back Down South until the new year but we definitely have to meet for a few bevvies and a bit of posh nosh.

Hey! Guess what? It's snowing! Cool...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:04 am
GD, how far are you from Sheffield ?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:28 am
Maybe an hour by road or train? Are you putting on your winter woolies for a trip Up North, my good man?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:41 am
Super G,

When did you change your name to reflect your royal status? Laughing

KP
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:44 am
Hi Pete. How's it going?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:59 am
OK, thanks, Yorkie!

Just got over my first cold of the winter - which seems to be doing the rounds in London.

Partied hard at the weekend and am feeling consequently weary on Monday...very much looking forward to time off from Friday.

And you?

KP
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:25 am
I've been off work for a couple of weeks with "a bad back" sorting out a few things. Back to work on wednesday, then I too have holidays from friday!
0 Replies