Things I want to know about the US (but was afraid to ask!)

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:22 am
Setanta wrote:
Yes, people lock their cars, except perhaps for certain isolated rural areas--but that is a thing of the past in most places, even rural.

That idea came from watching countless scenes where heroes/villains just open the doors of an apparently random car and drive off. Probably a Hollywood thing, then.

Quote:
Few people walk anywhere, and, especially in rural and suburban areas, there often are not sidewalks.

I'm staggered that two friends living a few streets apart would have to drive to each other's houses, or risk being run-over by walking on the road. What about kids, old people and anyone else who can't drive? Could this partially explain why the US is one of the fattest countries in the world? Conversely, the UK is getting fatter, btw, and we have loads of pavements everywhere.

Quote:
Most houses are wooden framed, although some have false brick siding--and no, most people do not own a home, although perhaps a higher proportion than elsewhere, i really couldn't say. If the poor own a house, they likely inherited it. They're not cheap. I've noticed that American houses are roomier than those in Canadian cities, let alone Europe, but i've also noticed that houses in small towns in Ontario seem to be about the same size.

I should have made it clear that I was including rented property as well (sorry) - presumably the rent reflects the property size also. Most houses I've seen (on TV) in places like Compton (which I understood was a fairly poor area of LA) are larger than many houses in the UK occupied by middle-income middle-class families in a quiet suburban neighbourhood.

Don't fires spread rather quickly in wooden framed/fronted houses? Nearly all houses here are brick, although most internal walls and floors are wood/plasterboard. Maybe it's a climate issue, given how crappy the weather here is?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:48 am
Grand Duke wrote:
I should have made it clear that I was including rented property as well (sorry) - presumably the rent reflects the property size also. Most houses I've seen (on TV) in places like Compton (which I understood was a fairly poor area of LA) are larger than many houses in the UK occupied by middle-income middle-class families in a quiet suburban neighbourhood.

Don't fires spread rather quickly in wooden framed/fronted houses? Nearly all houses here are brick, although most internal walls and floors are wood/plasterboard. Maybe it's a climate issue, given how crappy the weather here is?

It's possible that what you've been seeing are multi-family houses. It's very common for people to build a building and turn it into 3, 4 or more apartments. There are some huge houses though. The average home size in the US is just over 1,000 sq. ft. (93 sq. meters).

I suppose a wood structure will burn more completely than a stone or brick home but most fires start internally and burn to the exterior. You are just more likely to have standing walls when the firemen get done than we are. The insides of both places will still be gone though.

We tend to have a little more spacing between houses than is typical in a lot of Europe. That's just a function of having the land area to do it. That space keeps fires from jumping from one house to the next. When you look at more urban areas the buildings tend to be brick/stone just as they are in Europe (in the Southwest US brick and stucco are pretty common building materials for houses too. They don't have east access to large supplies of wood so a wood house is more expensive. The brick/stucco also work better at keeping out the heat from the sun.)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:21 am
which Empire is the Empire State Building named after ?

Can't be the Roman or the British. Could it be the Sioux Empire ?????????????????
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:26 am
The "nickname" of the State of New York is the Empire State, so the Empire State Building refers to the State of New York. The slogan to promote the Erie Canal early in the 19th century was "gateway to empire," so the name was transferred to the state in general. Even those travelling on to Upper Canada (Ontario) or the Northwest territories (now the "middle west"--Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin) landed in New York, proceeded up the Hudson River, and then made it to Buffalo and the shores of Lake Erie via the Erie Canal. Lake Ontario sits more than 150 feet below Lake Erie (hence, the falls of the Niagara River, which connects the two lakes), but Lakes Huron, Superior and Michigan are are inter-navigable with Lake Erie. New York truly was a gateway to the new lands, whether in the U.S. or Canada.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:29 am
oldandknew wrote:
which Empire is the Empire State Building named after ?

Can't be the Roman or the British. Could it be the Sioux Empire ?????????????????

"Question:
Why is the Empire State Building called the Empire State Building?

Answer:
Dear Web Visitor,Thank you for contacting us!New York's "nickname" is the Empire State, so that is why we have that name. Rumor is that when Henry Hudson sailed up New York harbor into what is now the Hudson River he was so taken by the beauty and majesty of the area that he said "This is the new empire".
Regards,
The Empire State Building Team "

That's from their FAQ. Wink
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:33 am
Aside alert - I was on top of the empire state building recently and the visibility was unlimited - it was a clear, sunny day and this is one view which I will never forget !!! It was breathtaking !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:37 am
Guatam, i've read that on a clear day, the horizon from the ESB is more than 100 miles--don't know if that is true.

On the topic of house construction, Fishin' makes a good point about brick houses (which are quite common in the southeastern U.S., by the way). Whether of brick, stucco, wood or composite siding, or adobe, the interior frame is of wood. The big danger in a house fire is what is known as "flash over." The products of incomplete combustion are gases which become flammable at high temperature. These gases rise to top of a room when there is a fire source in the room (a cigarette smouldering in the upholstery of a chair or sofa, for example). When the temperature reaches the trigger point, those gases burst into flame and the fire spreads rapidly to any communicable part of the structure, especially the wood framing. Brick outer walls do nothing to prevent this.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:41 am
Mr.Piffka is a builder, so I get to know a lot more about construction than you'd think. Masonry here is a slightly more expensive siding treatment covering plywood or OSB sheathed stick framing. (That sheathing is required to keep the frame square AND as a relatively air-tight block against fire.) The posts & beams of houses in the PNW are usually solid wood or wood laminate, though metal beams and posts are becoming more common here for residential construction.

West coast homes are slightly bigger than in the east. An average older home is 1200-1500 sq. ft. and most newer ones start at 2000 and go up. My house is 3200 sq ft, but Mr.P built it himself to make it more affordable. Just for reference... Bill Gates' house in Seattle, a monster even in its class, is over 40,000 sq ft.

We have set-back rules -- how far a house must be from its property line. Eight feet is usually the minimum. I guess in the city that is different.

Relative asked about the percentage of property owned by what percentage of people. This is another difference between the east and west -- in the west, huge tracts of land are owned by the government. I think there is a statistic out there that a very small percentage of people control a very large percentage of wealth -- not necessarily property.

I recently looked up the statistic for how many Americans own, usually with a bank mortgage, their single-family house or condominium -- it's about 55-60%, a figure that was said to be similar to that in the UK. Very few own their home "free & clear" without a mortgage. Our tax laws encourage mortgaging by allowing home interest payments to be deducted from income tax.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:06 am
I went to the top of the ESB many years ago. And yes, you can see for miles and miles and miles.
I also took the tour boat ride round Manhatan Island.

It was very interesting to compare the 2 different views.

Also those shots of steam rising out of manhole covers in the NYC streets. I understand the steam comes from the NYC generating power comp, the steam then used for heating buildings
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:36 am
10) This is a tricky one. Can anyone, in a single paragraph, give me a brief explanation of the difference between the Presidential administration, Congress, the Senate and the 'state governments' (sorry, unsure of the correct term). Pretend you're explaing it to someone in their early teens.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:41 am
oldandknew wrote:
Also those shots of steam rising out of manhole covers in the NYC streets. I understand the steam comes from the NYC generating power comp, the steam then used for heating buildings

As another aside, I believe this practice is quite common in Scandinavian countries (where they tend to be a bit more aware of environmental matters). I can't see it catching on in the UK though. People wouldn't trust it not to be radioactive or poisonous...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:47 am
In a single paragraph? Well, I can't provide a good one but...

Umm.. ok, the US is a federation of 50 states. The governening structure of that federation is divided into 3 branches - Executive, Legislative and Judicial. The President is the head of the Executive branch and is responsible for executing (doing) all of the laws (and hence, programs) of the government. The Congress is the Legislative branch and is divided into two houses. They determine what laws are and are apportioned by districts based on population. The Judicial branch is strictly the courts dealing with arbitration and interpretation of the applicability of laws. Branches can counter each other but don't have direct control over each other. The states, being the members of the federation, retain all power not granted to the federal government and generally setup their own governing bodies in a manner similar to the Federal level.

(Maybe it helps if you think of it as US = EU and the states = EU member nations... ????)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:08 am
Thank you fishin', for an excellent answer. Am I correct then in simplifying the process as follows:

President - decides something needs to be done about something
Senate/Congress - decide how, where, who, when it is to be done (each House looking after different aspects of this)
Judiciary - penalises those who don't comply

Now you've explained it, it sounds broadly similar to the UK system (except without the nominal input the Crown has here).

Which kinda leads to my next question:

11) Can someone very rich (or well-funded) greatly increase their chances of election to high office simply by spending $millions on advertising? I saw a clip of the Bush advert with the 9-11 fire-men etc, and couldn't help shake my head at the crassness of the whole idea of basically buying the public's votes with adverts. The parties here do campaign, but in a noticably more dignified way.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:08 am
Fishin', you forgot to explain about the balance of power, which has tilted somewhat in favor of the executive branch.

My way of book marking.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:14 am
Grand Duke, it is generally accepted that more $$--> more, and more effective advertising ---> more votes.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:27 am
Letty wrote:
Fishin', you forgot to explain about the balance of power, which has tilted somewhat in favor of the executive branch.

My way of book marking.

lol Well jeepers Letty, he limited me to one lousy little paragraph! Razz

Wink
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:31 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Thank you fishin', for an excellent answer. Am I correct then in simplifying the process as follows:

President - decides something needs to be done about something
Senate/Congress - decide how, where, who, when it is to be done (each House looking after different aspects of this)
Judiciary - penalises those who don't comply

I think a key item here is that either the President OR the Congress can decide that something needs to be done. Once it's decided that something WILL BE done (by passing a law) the President's administration is responsible for carrying it out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:31 am
GD, it is becoming more and more apparent that politics is about money, and who one knows. It is a disgusting aspect of the polity in the United States, and i think it dismays most Americans. Given the rigorous measures which the Constitution and the public laws of Congress have always taken to preserve freedom of expression (speech), it is very difficult to interfer with the individual's right to "buy" office through the use of campaign donations.

Not an easy nut to crack.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:36 am
GD, it might also help you to understand that our Congress is divided into a House of Representatives (proportional) and a Senate (two from each state). The House holds the purse strings, as is the case with the Commons in Merry Old. The Senate was created to help preserve state sovereignty, and so they have the power to advise on and consent to (or not) the appointments of the President. So the House might vote money for programs the President doesn't want, and the Prez might then refuse to disburse the money, or issue executive orders which circumscribe the spending of the money. The House could also decide not to appropriate money for programs of which they disapprove.

The Senate can refuse to ratify a treaty (Wilson's "Fourteen Points" and the League of Nations in 1919 is the most famous example), or to confirm a Presidential nomination (this happens all the time, often acrimoniously, with judicial appointments). Needless to say, there is a lot of political dickering going on.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:43 am
Good info here for you, Grand Duke. Be careful, though, because Setanta might create a filibuster. Smile

fishin', I have faith that your ability to be succinct will earn you a place in the abstracts of recorded time.
0 Replies