Things I want to know about the US (but was afraid to ask!)

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:37 pm
There are some stories that he had an out of date visa, and thought they were chasing him because of that. I've also heard vague stuff about the police being a) plain clothes and b) not identifying themselves as police. If a bunch of random men starting chasing me down the street, shouting "get on the ground", I would probably run as well.

Also, many criminals in the UK would, and do, run from the police, because they are not usually armed. And I prefer it that way.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:17 pm
Grand Duke wrote:

Also, many criminals in the UK would, and do, run from the police, because they are not usually armed. And I prefer it that way.

And that, in today's post 9/11 world, is just stupid. If I were an unarmed UK policman I would feel like a completely spineless retard.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:40 pm
I don't care if you don't like me or my principals. The fact is, the vapid, disarm the populace while we arm our enemies kind of thinking is much of the reason we are the situation we are in.

Too many retards wanna sit around and argue over whether or not Iraq has WMD's (of course he did, we sold them to him...), instead of addressing the real issue of worldwide terrorism.

It'll come back to bite you in the ass, if it already hasn't.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:18 pm
cjhsa wrote:
You are numbnuts.

The idiot in the tunnel ran from police. Why? Because he figured they were unarmed - so that becomes the norm. People should never run from police.

Horrified that a citizen is in possession of a firearm? An unarmed person is not a "citizen". They are a subject.

Latest BBC TV News report cites a London Underground employee who witnessed the chase. He said that armed policemen, wearing police caps and insignia, shouted "Stop, Armed Police"....he leapt over a ticket barrier and ran away.

Because he figured they were disarmed is not a viable theory.

An unarmed citizen is not a subject, they are just one less armed civilian causing confusion and making the job of the police that much harder.

"Oh look sarge, fifty civilians all pointing guns"

"Dont worry Constable, I have it on good authority that those forty nine are good guys, it's the one in the middle that we're after"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:40 am
Nobody over here is trying to be a policeman, just defending themselves when the police aren't around.

Michigan, for example, has issued close to 10,000 CCW's (concealed carry permits) and not one of those people or guns has been involved in a crime.

Many states don't require a permit at all, like Texas and Arizona. The minutemen all carry, and they haven't shot a single illegal yet.

The euro-attitude towards guns is one of fear and loathing. It's been conditioned into your brains so much that even the police are unarmed. Silly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:30 pm
The police in England are ordinarily unarmed. Don't kid yourself--try something stupid in Paris and you will die in a hail of automatic weapons fire.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:36 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The euro-attitude towards guns is one of fear and loathing. It's been conditioned into your brains so much that even the police are unarmed. Silly.

(I don't suppose that the above really isn't Euro-related but 'Europe' was meant.)

As far as I know - and as far as the European Police website and other sources say - only the police in the UK normally is unarmed. (Even the the Holy Seal's* Swiss Guard carries different weapons to their openly shown medieval armory.)

Edited - since I don't want to spoil Set's joke: that was a kind of Freudian typo :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:55 pm
Holy Seal . . . the vatican has a sanctified aquatic mammal ? ! ? ! ?

(Sorry, Walter, i couldn't resist . . . )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:58 pm
Laughing

I edited my response a bit Embarrassed
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:59 pm
what the phoque?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:02 pm
Well here's a little clue for you all
The Walrus was Paul . . .
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:54 pm
Is it necessary to look inside a glass onion?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:00 pm
how the phoque should i know ?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:03 pm
You phoque in studious!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:05 pm
That pretty well seals the debate . . .
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:37 pm
can I ask a question?....ok thanks lol

Why is it Americans seem to go to a lot of Therapists/Counsellors?

Im just interrested because it seems to be the first answer to a lot of serious personal issues on this site....and we also see it a lot on American TV shows.
Most New Zealanders would never voluntarily go to see one unless
1. We were ordered to by the courts
2. Chronic mental or behaviour issues

so Im just curious........
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:42 pm
It's the plague of liberal thought - you cannot be an independent thinker - you must comply, become part of the collective. "OH MY GOD I RAN OVER A SQUIRREL ON MY WAY TO WORK THIS MORNING I NEED GRIEF COUNSELING!"

Kudos to the kiwis for calling stupid is as stupid does.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:22 pm
That's a bit of a stretch there cjhsa.

A lot of the responses here on A2K that tell people to get counseling are for a few reasons:

1. People tend to post a lot of fairly serious personal questions. (Look at the number fo threads in the Relationships forum. How does that compare with the number of problems your family and off-line friends have???)

2. Our users, by and large, aren't professional therapists.

3. It's better than having people that don't know what they are doing popping in and giving people totally stupid ideas that they might actually even try.

If someone posts about their problems and the issues are serious most people recognize that the answers the users here are likely to post are going to be inadequate so they recommend the person see someone that can delve into things farther with the poster.

I seriously doubt that the nunmber of people that get the suggestion in the Relationships forum is anywhere near representative of the percentage of the U.S. population that is actually seeing a therapist.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:52 pm
about 1 in 5 44.3 million people. 2 In addition, 4 of the 10 leading causes of disability in the U.S. and other developed countries are mental disorders-major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. 3 Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a given time.
In the U.S., mental disorders are diagnosed based on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM-IV). 4

And most of you drive me a little wackp, as well.

Joe(one of 44.3 million American nuts)Nation

emphasis mine
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:02 pm
Isn't it quite evident that the United States has an enormous problem with mental disorder?

Look who's president.
0 Replies